Quantcast
What are some good 32ch digital mixers/consoles for studios? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What are some good 32ch digital mixers/consoles for studios?
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The lack of XLR is kind of a short coming for my, but a few direct boxes can remedy this.
Totally agree.

This feature or lack of has been brought up in another forum or on youtube but like you said there are workarounds.

Midas also have some other cards like Dante, Madi etc to go with the M32 and a stage box, personal monitor control and I am sure all
these little peripherals would be competitively priced.

Cheers
Old 5th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz ➑️
The lack of XLR is kind of a short coming for my, but a few direct boxes can remedy this.
32 analogue inputs on XLR, 18 analogue outputs on XLR.

How many more XLRs do you want?

How are DI boxes going to remedy it?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia ➑️
32 analogue inputs on XLR, 18 analogue outputs on XLR.

How many more XLRs do you want?

How are DI boxes going to remedy it?
Synths that need quarter inch connectors...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Quote:
Synths that need quarter inch connectors...
OK, so it is not 'the lack of XLR' that is 'kind of a short coming', as you first said, it is the lack of line inputs on 1/4" jacks.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
OK, so it is not 'the lack of XLR' that is 'kind of a short coming', as you first said, it is the lack of line inputs on 1/4" jacks.
Yea I know, the other guy understood what I meant
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Don't forget DiGiCo Digital Consoles.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yea I know, the other guy understood what I meant
Other guy doesn't understand much of anything.

And if you knew it was wrong, why didn't you edit it to make it right?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundking ➑️
Don't forget DiGiCo Digital Consoles.
How much does a Digico, with comparable features to the M32, cost?

Do they have anything similar for $5000?
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

The x32 producer is great for studio and you can add channels as needed. After having worked on multiple all-in-one desks, digital and analog (including the prestigious Avid Venue SC-48, which imo is terrible, constantly crashes pro tools, and must have drivers to run), I can tell you for sure, the x32 will not let you down. The preamps are clean and crystal clear and latency is nearly non existent. The producer comes with 16 channels but you can add boxes of preamps on up to 96 channels, which is nice if you want to set up mic spots in different rooms. Odds are, you wont need over 32 channels. If you buy the Midas M32, you are basically paying for the name Midas which is now owned by Behringer..... The preamps, everything, is the same as X32, it just has more faders and a few more whistles. It even looks the same. Do yourself a favor, get either full size or Producer version of x32 and spend the rest of your budget on good microphones, monitors and everything else. A lot of people will hate on the x32 because of its nature and parent (Behringer! AHhhhh!). I can tell you without any qualms, the x32 is the shi** and will take the pepsi challenge to any other console any day of the week.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Midas is owned by Uli Behringer and there is now a cross mix of product. You should however judge each product on it's own merits (inexpensive or uber expensive), not on it's brand name.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/produ...rk-teknik.html

For the OP, expand your research to used digitally controlled Analog mixers. You can get some that were selling new for $80k now selling in your budget range.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramix ➑️
Just had a look at it. Looks a lot similar to the Behringer X32. Which would be better to use for studio purposes?
Basically, Midas owns Behringer (or vice-versa) and has been cleaning up its act with regard to the whole "you get what you pay for" reputation of the brand. The X32 is a very nice digital console; if there's an "analog-killer" out there sounding the death knell of the large-format analog mixing console, it's this board. It features elements of boards costing three times as much or more, including Midas preamps, LED/LCD scribble strips (next cheapest digital board to have these is the GLD-80 at $9000), and motorized faders (which its main competitor at this pricepoint for live sound, the Presonus StudioLive AI, does not have).

The M32 is more or less a rebadging of the X32; better preamps, better faders, same software, different frame design and a few extra features (including built-in USB connectivity; huge plus for the digital studio). The M32 will have a smaller footprint and a more steeply inclined upper control section (making it easier to use while seated) and just on those two design changes I would recommend the Midas over the Behringer as a studio console, if you have the extra 2-3 grand. The one thing it doesn't do is operate at 96kHz; the slicks are careful to state that 96kHz will be available with a firmware upgrade, but right now there seems to be a gap between the supported 48kHz and the ADC/DAC native sampling rate of 192kHz.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Midas does not have the same preamps, or faders etc as the x32
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trock ➑️
The Midas does not have the same preamps, or faders etc as the x32
Edited. My information came from a consultant who said the X32 had Midas preamps; he didn't clarify they weren't *the* Midas preamps but were only designed by Midas engineers. Kind of like the difference between Duncan Designed and "real" Seymour Duncan guitar pickups.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A $3k to $5k digital board is not going to kill large frame analog mixers. Even the $200k digital boards didn't kill them. You pick your poisen, as with either format there will be positives and negatives. Digital has faster recall. Analog has sonics, headroom, and modularity for quick service.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
How much does a Digico, with comparable features to the M32, cost?

Do they have anything similar for $5000?
SD11 would be their entry system...with a 32x8 stage box more than twice the price of the Midas M32.
Tho less faders the SD11 would be further upmarket for a touring sound company but very clumsy to use in a studio.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr ➑️
A $3k to $5k digital board is not going to kill large frame analog mixers. Even the $200k digital boards didn't kill them. You pick your poisen, as with either format there will be positives and negatives. Digital has faster recall. Analog has sonics, headroom, and modularity for quick service.
I disagree; the 32-channel analog frames the X32 directly competes with are in the same cost ballpark. The A&H GL2400-32 and 2800-32 are $2500 and $5000 respectively. The Soundcraft GB4-32 and GB8-32 are $2500 and $4500. The Mackie Onyx 32.4 is a bit cheaper at 2 grand, but while my church uses one as its main board and it's certainly functional enough, the X32 blows it out of the water in feature set.

Compared to those analog boards, the X32 has a plethora of advantages, most of them inherent in the X32's being a digital board, but some of which you could previously only find on the $9000 GLD (and before that came out, you had to go to the iLive-T). The cheapest motorized digital board being actively marketed for live installations like HOW before the X32 hit the market was the $6000 LS9, which while a very good board, is a nightmare to put in front of a novice sound team. I would be much more comfortable sitting my colleagues in the church sound team down in front of an X32, at least after I'd set it up. The Tascam DM series is also an affordable, motorized-fader fully digital board line, but I hadn't heard of them till I started researching them myself; sound system consultants (at least in my area) aren't hawking them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would look for a Used Yamaha O2R96 or DM2000 and add a dante or MADI based input / output card to your studio

You gain a lot of extra channels for the same money
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
EDIT... just read you're starting a new studio.

I personally have had enough experienced with digital mixers that I wouldn't buy one. I'd buy analog. A digital mixer will probably be worth 10% of the original selling price in 5 years or so when converters improve etc.

Personally, I'd buy the best 16 channels of conversion I could, some external preamps, then buy a cheaper analog console. I wouldn't record through the mixer. I'd use it for monitoring only, setting up groups, etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
And I've got a used AMR model 2400 analog desk for sale for the SAME $2500 (Chicago burbs). The difference is that the AMR can do 116 inputs at mixdown, has 24 busses, 8 auxes, pre and post sends/returns, has better preamps, has extensive monitering including multiple 2 track inputs and outputs to different speakers, has more headroom, has better sonics, has a track record being used on hits, is modular for quick service using easily servicable parts (no surface mounted components), will maintain it's current value, will continue to live on unlike digital mixers that turn into boat anchors quickly when the new models roll out, will impress a neophyte client more due to it's eight foot width, and used to sell for $25k. It's a traditional recording studio desk with it's own set of big pluses.

For more money (some of which in the OP's budget range) you can find used digitally controlled analog desks with moving faders/automation that originally were $80k+ new.

Do you really think you can compare any new desk (digital or analog regardless) that sells new for $2500 for one that originally sold for $80k+ or even $25k for that matter?

As for the tangent of Live stage/church, the requirements are different from studio requirements. In church use, pressing a button to recall a setup due to someone messing with the faders/knobs/buttons is a big plus. The simplicity of an analog board for a novice user is also a competing big plus. While a recording desk can be used for live fairly easily the reverse is not true with live desks being crippled in key areas for recording use.

The Behringer has it's own set of pluses which won't be what the above mentioned desks have. As such it's only an available option and WON'T kill off analog options available for the same amount of money on the market today. The smart shopper will get very specific with determining their needs and then pick their poisen to best meet them.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr ➑️
And I've got a used AMR model 2400 analog desk for sale for the SAME $2500 (Chicago burbs). The difference is that the AMR can do 116 inputs at mixdown, has 24 busses, 8 auxes, pre and post sends/returns, has better preamps, has extensive monitering including multiple 2 track inputs and outputs to different speakers, has more headroom, has better sonics, has a track record being used on hits, is modular for quick service using easily servicable parts (no surface mounted components), will maintain it's current value, will continue to live on unlike digital mixers that turn into boat anchors quickly when the new models roll out, will impress a neophyte client more due to it's eight foot width, and used to sell for $25k. It's a traditional recording studio desk with it's own set of big pluses.

For more money (some of which in the OP's budget range) you can find used digitally controlled analog desks with moving faders/automation that originally were $80k+ new.

Do you really think you can compare any new desk (digital or analog regardless) that sells new for $2500 for one that originally sold for $80k+ or even $25k for that matter?

As for the tangent of Live stage/church, the requirements are different from studio requirements. In church use, pressing a button to recall a setup due to someone messing with the faders/knobs/buttons is a big plus. The simplicity of an analog board for a novice user is also a competing big plus. While a recording desk can be used for live fairly easily the reverse is not true with live desks being crippled in key areas for recording use.

The Behringer has it's own set of pluses which won't be what the above mentioned desks have. As such it's only an available option and WON'T kill off analog options available for the same amount of money on the market today. The smart shopper will get very specific with determining their needs and then pick their poisen to best meet them.
Great post!
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
It is 24CH but if you can swing it go with GS-R24
πŸ“ Reply