Quantcast
Matched Monitor Pair - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Matched Monitor Pair
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Matched Monitor Pair

About three years or so ago I purchased a pair of Equator D5 monitors. It was around the time that they first came out, so everything was fairly new for this product line. A couple months in, one of my monitors started to buzz. I contacted Equator and they took care of it, sending me a new speaker to replace the problem one. They were great about the customer service.

However, I'm starting to realize now that the older of the speakers (the one that wasn't replaced) is significantly more "mellow" and not as hyped in the upper mid and highs. The newer speaker is significantly brighter in tone. I was hoping that maybe it just needed some breaking in time, since the older one has gotten significantly more play time.

I was wondering if anyone has run in to this problem before. If one of your studio monitor pairs needs replaced, does it make sense to replace them both so they tonally match? I'm wondering now whether this is a matter of breaking in the monitor, or if it's just tonally different than the other one. Or, it's possible that the older of the speakers (the one that wasn't replaced) is damaged, and isn't as bright as it should be. When I play a sin wave and pan left to right, you can clearly hear a difference. I've even ran FuzzMeasure with an analyzer microphone on both speakers, and the older one has a fairly significant dip at 10kHz, which is about the frequency that seems to be in question in both monitors.

Regardless, it makes it difficult to get a good read on a mix when the monitors don't match.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I had a problem with one of my D5's sound "weak" for lack of a better term. I did all the tests and they sent me a replacement monitor. This all happened within the 60 day trial period though, not years later. Theoretically, all the D5's should match but that would be a remarkable feat to pull off especially over the course of a few years.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah I probably can't get them to replace it for free anymore since they're fairly old. I just wasn't sure if "breaking in" the newer speaker was something I should be considering, if that was even something that needs to happen to newer monitors. I may just have to dish out for a new pair...It sucks that if they're not matched they're basically useless for mixing.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Speaker drivers are mechanical devices and as such require some bedding in before they operate at their best.

Depending on how long and how loud you have been playing the new one this might still be taking place.
Try again after playing the new one as loud as you can safely using pink noise or music for about 30 minutes.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I don't usually monitor or listen to music too loud through these speakers, so maybe that's the issue. But, I have been using it for a pretty long time now, and I would have thought that if it was going to break in, it would have by now.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just an update for anyone that is curious...I got in touch with Marty from Equator audio, and he said that the serial numbers on both speakers are close enough that they should match sonically. He is having me return the duller of the two speakers (presumably the older one) and they are replacing it. He made it seem like it's more likely that the older monitor has become faulty and is not outputting all the frequencies. It seems that these monitors don't have a "break-in" period.

Regardless...Equator customer service has been fantastic, and they're replacing the monitor for free. And, on top of it all, these monitors sound absolutely amazing (flat, unflattering, detailed mids).
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's always seemed that the term " break in period" is just another way of saying " wow it sounds better now that I've grown accustomed to hearing them". So has anyone ever heard of frequency or impedance plots that scientifically measure this phenomena.
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
This is indeed a WOW ! customer's service.
Old 5th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBHan ➑️
It's always seemed that the term " break in period" is just another way of saying " wow it sounds better now that I've grown accustomed to hearing them". So has anyone ever heard of frequency or impedance plots that scientifically measure this phenomena.
It has been measured and is recognised by driver manufacturers.
The drivers resonant frequency (Fs) will lower by up to 10% once you run them for a short time (<30minutes) at near Xmax. If you run them well below Xmax it can take considerably longer.

That said with more costly monitors/drivers (like ATC for example) this is part of the factory testing procedure.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My situation is much more than a pyschoacoustic phenomena...My one speaker is literally not putting out the same frequency range or SPL that the other one is.
πŸ“ Reply