Quantcast
Genelec 8050a Placement - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Genelec 8050a Placement
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Genelec 8050a Placement

Hello fellow slutz. I just got some Genelec 8050a monitors and they sound amazing when a good mix is playing through them... All my mixes sound horrible heh. I am wondering how other owners have theirs positioned. These are the setups I've tried so far and my comments on them:

When I have them set up nearfield (<1m) with the monitors facing me in an equilateral triangle, the tweeters can be fatiguing and the mid bass is hard to hear through the mix (I think there may be a node where I'm sitting... need better treatment).

When I move the monitors to where they are facing directly forward (parallel to eachother), the tweeters are less harsh and not as fatiguing, but the mid bass still has some weak spots. In the song "Doin it Right" by Daft Punk, the lower and higher sine bass synth notes are strong and present but the middle one sits pretty far back in the mix. On a good set of cans, they all have equal weight.

When I roll my chair back maybe 5 feet to a midfield seating position, I feel like the tweeters smooth out and are not fatiguing and the mid bass really opens up. I think this is the best way to have them positioned.

Do other owners typically have a nearfield or midfield setup?

And FYI, my room is ~11x16 with a triangle take out of one of the corners
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I think that having your near fields at less than a metre might be part of the problem. I have the 8050's in my small mix room (12'x12'), and take them with me to other control rooms, and they do have a bit of a "throw" to them, in that the sound seems to focus a short distance back. I toe the speakers inwards a bit, so the tweeters are facing my ears. I find that if I'm too close to the speakers, with my head "inside" the triangle, so to speak, then it is wonderfully absorbing, but not accurate. I like to set them up as if they were on a console meter bridge, and I am at the focus of the triangle, or outside it.

I think that is the case with most larger 8" woofer near fields. My smaller Focals and Avantones don't seem to exaggerate that problem, but then there are putting less bass energy into the room. Of course, uneven bass is always going to be a problem in any small room, and requires room treatment. Experiment with moving the speakers away from the wall and closer together so that you're not creating such a wide triangle, that might help.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Place them on Ebay and get a pair of propper Speakers.

Worked on them for quite a while and found them to be quite odd.
The tweeter is horribly fatiguing (any dome tweeter roll off HF if you listen off axis).
They translate badly. All my reference mixes sounded horrible.

Actually the 8050 are the first (and only) speakers
that I heard Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories" sound bad on.
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Nednerd is spot on. After mixing on them for several days, I have found them to be extremely fatiguing. After 15-30 minutes I can't listen to them anymore. Luckily I have a return policy on them. My search for new studio monitors continues...
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hey Project, sorry to hear.
But it's the right decision.

The search for the right speakers is a long and winding road.
All I can say is listen to them in your own working environment
and take your time before committing.
Good luck!!
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
...sure you miss a lot with a 8" box on one meter distance....

even if they say so...these ones are no nearfield at all....no 8" box is....and, er, i don't see them as studio monitors either....too hifi for me....

but you need at least 2,5 meters distance....and a sweetspot triangle...means distance between the speakers matches the distance to your ears......the middle point between the coax must be on ear level and facing them....
πŸ“ Reply