Studer 089 test - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studer 089 test
Old 26th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamproject ➑️
It's a pain to repair, absolutely no room on pcb, trace are easy to broke, and TDA1034 is just prohibitive.
But lovely PWM compressor !!!
Yeah, that's what I found out for now. I'm not a tech, so finding the error on that board is a pain. For now I know the feedback path is broken, but without spare transistors and without the option to check it with the power on and signal flowing, this will cost me quite some time I fear
Old 26th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Today, I called the technician. He needs one more week and is working on one of the 40w amplifiers.
Do you use the internal amplifiers?
I have a pair of NS10m which are powering by a Revox A78 MK2 amp or a Marantz 2235b.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boody ➑️
Yeah, that's what I found out for now. I'm not a tech, so finding the error on that board is a pain. For now I know the feedback path is broken, but without spare transistors and without the option to check it with the power on and signal flowing, this will cost me quite some time I fear
You have to build an extender card, so you can operate outside the frame.
Lot of thing to check in the feedback detector/fet driver !
NE5534 are direct replacement for TDA1034, but you need to build some daughter card to adapt TO and DIP.

I have 8 of this comp loaded in my desk, i really love theme
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areft ➑️
Today, I called the technician. He needs one more week and is working on one of the 40w amplifiers.
I have a pair of NS10m which are powering by a Revox A78 MK2 amp or a Marantz 2235b.
No, don't have 40w amp but the line out card and active speaker.
Just try it and compare with other you have

Zam
Old 27th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
No 40watt amp here either, don't think i would use it
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamproject ➑️
You have to build an extender card, so you can operate outside the frame.
Lot of thing to check in the feedback detector/fet driver !
NE5534 are direct replacement for TDA1034, but you need to build some daughter card to adapt TO and DIP.

I have 8 of this comp loaded in my desk, i really love theme
Wow, eight? Nice I think a fault in my power supply killed one channel. Any usual suspects?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Wow, eight? Nice I think a fault in my power supply killed one channel. Any usual suspects?
4 stereo unit to be clear, it's a 289 so i have room in the frame.
About the "usual suspect", if audio pass through its not the FET, and if the other channel work fine it's not the PW modulator.
Maybe check first this TO package tda1034 at the wave rectifier, by memory I change 2 or 3 of them, after 40 years they don't seem to be reliable.
Next transistor and diodes, about 10 of each.
It's useful to have a scope to follow the signal and see where it go bad.
Service manual are available with all info, wave form, test point etc...
The problem, as say, is to follow the trace and component, busy double sided pcb and erratic layout, you have thing at one corner of the pcb and the next component in the signal flow are 15cm away hidden by the transformer or the magnetic mu metal cage for the PW modulator

Zam
Old 27th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I could save some cash for those 40w amps

Is it useful to have a noise suppresser like this for this mixer?
Studer 089 test-img_4327-copy.jpg
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I could save some cash for those 40w amps

Is it useful to have a noise suppresser like this for this mixer?
Attachment 391486
PSU already have a RF filter at the output (the PSU switch at 25kHz)
But you can use one at the input, to protect the power line (and other equipment) from the Studer PSU noise.
The one you show are big! As you have the IEC socket broken, you can replace by one with integrated EMI/RFI filter

Zam
Old 28th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thanks
You mean something like this;
EMI/RFI Filters, Integrated Plug 110 to 250 Volt - 1 Phase
Is 6 amps ok?
Where do you recommend to use this big noise suppresser?
Old 28th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks
You mean something like this;
EMI/RFI Filters, Integrated Plug 110 to 250 Volt - 1 Phase
Is 6 amps ok?
Where do you recommend to use this big noise suppresser?
Yes, that's it.
Check the main fuse at primary, by memory it's 4A for the 089, so 6A are ok.
But I have a doubt about what I say, now I remembered there is two X1 capacitor close to the power switch, it may be a line filter already built in, check the schematic and PCB.
Old 31st March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thanks for mentioning it, but I can't figure it out:face palm:
Studer 089 test-studer-power-supply-primary-pcb-copy.jpg

This is what he recommended for hiss...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️
I'm going through a 089 now located at UCSD in San Diego. One major benefit is to replace all the BC109 and BC 179 transistors to the BC550/560 low noise types. That includes the thick film modules as well as the front ends for the line card 301's and the mic pre's, if you want to remove the hiss. The 301's need to stay as the offset trim access is the audio input to use the opamp's drive section and to avoid it's noisy input transistors. The other 748 opamps are swapped to National LME49710NA in the aux sends, reverb returns and compressor modules. The Lemo connectors used on the back did increase the costs of wiring this up as XLR's would be a tough fit on the rear panel. I'm still addressing the power supply issue as the -22 volt rails are low, (I may up to -24 volts) and increasing the audio rail psu current is another option if an outboard Power One linear is used.

These are quite a project if you include replacing dozens of transistors, EQ caps, tantalum coupling caps, etc. The results are clear, quiet and musical.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You won't find those filters in the main power supply (apart form the extensive build of the supply itself to avoid leaking of noise into the system) but I think my desk has two near the power socket as well. They're not on any schematic afaik.
Old 1st April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
the X1 capacitor in the PSU are C4 and C5, not a filter regarding schematic.
So back to my fist talk, just ad one at the AC input.
Old 6th April 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
We had the new year holidays for two weeks and the repair project was somehow parked or slower...
I have to find three solo switches (oea), but it's not as easy as I taught.
Couldn't find the original one, but someone suggest this one. Any idea?
Is it possible to repair this switch?
Can I use the tape remote switches for fader solos, which I don't use any more?
Studer 089 test-switch.jpg
Studer 089 test-switch2.jpg
Studer 089 test-switch3.jpg

At least I found extra knobs!
Studer 089 test-knobs.jpg

I also found EMI Filter like this;
Studer 089 test-emi.jpg

Tell me what you think about the witch and filter...
thanks
Old 7th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Is it possible to repair this switch?
Can I use the tape remote switches for fader solos, which I don't use any more?

Tell me what you think about the witch and filter...
thanks
The switch you show will not fit in the fader panel

Yes it's possible to repair sometime, remove the lens and the TT light, put some contact cleaner, you can also remove the white part and spring.
The tape remote switches are the same, if it's a two row version just use one. Don't miss the 4 pole connection, 2 are momentary OFF and 2 for momentary ON. Just use the same pinout (labeled 1 to 4 and a-b for bulb), and be sure the pb it's not the relay or diode around this switch.

About line filter, if I read 8A ? it's ok.

Zam
Old 7th April 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Great, I'll try to fix the switch first. It's good that the remote has the same model.
The filter is 6A, but I can change it if that's necessary...
It's great to have your recommendations zamproject. I checked your Studer 289 thread. Great job...
Old 7th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I think the reverb is extern, it's only a control afaik (I don't have the reverb channel). One of my compressor is broken, still need to fix that, so I didn't use any.

I use the 089 as tracking desk for drums and other punchy stuff, but I have other pres as well so it depends. During mixing I use it for reamping and if the project allows it as analog EQ for individual instruments and / or summing for some stems. Mixes in the link are recorded through the 089 but the ruff mixes were ITB.
Wow, I never found the 089 fast enough for close micing drums, I have used them on OHs and pushed the gains for a different sound.
Old 8th April 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I was looking for spare parts and hopefully a compressor for my 089 and guess what...Found this in one old studio...
It's MK1 and he says it has a minor problem. I'm not quite sure about how practical is this mixer in my workflow otherwise I would jump on it.
For now my little friend should be ok. At least it's MK2.
Studer 089 test-img_4496-copy.jpg
Old 10th April 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Why this one has a male canon inputs?!
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gears...h-console.html

Mine has female canons!!
Old 11th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Why this one has a male canon inputs?!
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gears...h-console.html

Mine has female canons!!
Customer request at a time there is no international I/O standard for XLR genre.
Some countries have inverted genre for I/O, other have genre for type of signal (line/ mic), and some have lemo or tuchel
Old 2nd May 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Today, I left to the workshop where the 089 is getting its service! Nice place full of studer tapes and gears...
Signal is passing through inputs to speaker outs. Faders and solo switches are working right. Power supply, signal generator, amps and relays are also checked and serviced.
The last thing is the talk back slot. The technician was looking for way to follow the signal in that part.
Mic and its switch and the dual 6w amp is working, but the signal doesn't reach to its speaker out next to the IEC power socket.
The mic is on monitor card (089.011-04) with 0 ohm amp (1.090.003-01) on it and they look fine.
Studer 089 test-img_4535-copy.jpg
How can we follow the signal? Any suggestion.
Thanks
Old 4th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
How can we follow the signal? Any suggestion.
Thanks
Just check the service manual schematic... one mic, one trafo, some transistor/DOA and switching relay... should not be a problem for a tech !
Old 4th May 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
He doesn't have the 33 pin ISEP connector to check the boards out of the console. Also this board (089.011-04) has another connector on top. What do you call that? Is it the standard connector which I can find around?
According to the manual, some parts of talkback chain are in studio selector (1.090.081) and foldback connection (1.189.413). We didn't check those switches on studio selector!!
Thanks for directing...
Old 4th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Also this board (089.011-04) has another connector on top. What do you call that? Is it the standard connector which I can find around?
By memory it's a lemo 5 or 6 contact, just a connector that parallel an external mic for TB and also a remote switch.
You can have a small box with one switch and on mic connected here (Studer made some but it's an easy DIY box to do) used for some one (the director !?!) to have it's own TB facilities.
Old 7th May 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
We checked all switches with no result.
I believe the unit (1.090.082) beside my master fader is the same studio selector (1.090.081). It has just two switches (3+4, speaker) on it, but I can't find the "slate" button. The relay of those switches make a click sound when pushed and a signal get cut, but no sound from talkback mic. At least the switches are working right. We couldn't find any preamplifier on that board according to the manual!
Where is this foldback connection (1.189.413)?
Where can I find a schematic for the board (089.011-04) with the talkback mic on it?
Couldn't find it in manual. Any idea?
Old 7th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
We checked all switches with no result.
I believe the unit (1.090.082) beside my master fader is the same studio selector (1.090.081). It has just two switches (3+4, speaker) on it, but I can't find the "slate" button. The relay of those switches make a click sound when pushed and a signal get cut, but no sound from talkback mic. At least the switches are working right. We couldn't find any preamplifier on that board according to the manual!
Where is this foldback connection (1.189.413)?
Where can I find a schematic for the board (089.011-04) with the talkback mic on it?
Couldn't find it in manual. Any idea?
man i can't search all single schem for you! everything is avaiable, do your job...

1.089.011-4 is the pcb nΒ° for the monitor connection module 1.089.213 page 35 in the studer pdf version

1.090.081 and 1.090.82 are not the same... check schematic... and you will understand how signal flow work
Old 8th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
THe compressor section is a pwm compressor yes? I'm trying to find a decent base from which to reference a design I'm working on
Old 8th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma ➑️
THe compressor section is a pwm compressor yes? I'm trying to find a decent base from which to reference a design I'm working on
Yes it is.
Also check 961/962 series, the master section load a PWM comp/lim, more "modern" regarding component availabilities.
Old 9th May 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the effort zam,
Me and the technician did look for it all over the pdf many times. I was not aware of a difference between part no. and print no!!
Here is the only place I can find such directions in order to help the repair process and get my precious sooner
I'm reviewing your other threads for precise calibration. I just want to double check it after he finished his job.
Sadly, without having so much experience in this field, I may ask dummy questions...
πŸ“ Reply