Replacing M-audio 2626 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Replacing M-audio 2626
Old 1st March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky ➡️
ive read the manual , tralled the net , forums . ive been doing electronic music and computer music setups for almost 20 years so when I say I have done pretty much everything , ive done pretty much everything

happens on any buffer , we are not talking occasional buffer pops clicks , we are talking massive droupouts and distortions .
no input , just output alone
doesnt matter how its clocked
multiple fw cards , chipsets , pci and pcie .
different networking drivers , graphics drivers , no networking , no graphics drivers , nothing to do with powersaving or perforamce windows and bios settings , nothing affects it
computer is doing nothing , happens on even a single wave file streaming on any app . will be fine for ages then stop working , have to reinstall , sometimes reinstall fw drivers , sometimes have to change Irqs , different things fixes it again and then its fine again for weeks/months

same setup has no issues with multiple other interfaces including ur824 , profire 410 , fast track ultra , echo audiofire 12 and various other bits of usb/fw audio hw that passes through

I already had the ur824 and other stuff , i bought this unit primarily to use as an adat converter , it was just over 300$ brand new so any added features over a straight A/D would be a bonus . I knew it had issues with some hw setups going in

all hardware has different issues of different severity with different combinations of software and hardware . really good interfaces with great drivers have fewer , others have more . the profire is a ymmv interface . some people it will be perfect , others might have issues
Did you try the profire on a different computer? Because that will tell you whether the profire is at fault or not. I'm already guessing it's not the profire because you said it works fine in standalone mode as a slave.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky ➡️
ive read the manual , tralled the net , forums . ive been doing electronic music and computer music setups for almost 20 years so when I say I have done pretty much everything , ive done pretty much everything

happens on any buffer , we are not talking occasional buffer pops clicks , we are talking massive droupouts and distortions .
no input , just output alone
doesnt matter how its clocked
multiple fw cards , chipsets , pci and pcie .
different networking drivers , graphics drivers , no networking , no graphics drivers , nothing to do with powersaving or perforamce windows and bios settings , nothing affects it
computer is doing nothing , happens on even a single wave file streaming on any app . will be fine for ages then stop working , have to reinstall , sometimes reinstall fw drivers , sometimes have to change Irqs , different things fixes it again and then its fine again for weeks/months

same setup has no issues with multiple other interfaces including ur824 , profire 410 , fast track ultra , echo audiofire 12 and various other bits of usb/fw audio hw that passes through

I already had the ur824 and other stuff , i bought this unit primarily to use as an adat converter , it was just over 300$ brand new so any added features over a straight A/D would be a bonus . I knew it had issues with some hw setups going in

all hardware has different issues of different severity with different combinations of software and hardware . really good interfaces with great drivers have fewer , others have more . the profire is a ymmv interface . some people it will be perfect , others might have issues
Did you try the profire on a different computer? Because that will tell you whether the profire is at fault or not. I'm already guessing it's not the profire because you said it works fine in standalone mode as a slave.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonebytim ➡️
What is it that makes some of you guys complain about the software aspects of the profire?

I use the profire with WIN 7 and with OSX mavericks - and IVE NEVER HAD AN ISSUE

This interface is rock solid. I've said this many times before, but - maybe a lot of people either don't know what they are doing or have faulty computers?
Well it seems that when it works it works and when it doesn't it doesn't. That is the only thing that can account for the divergent opinions and user experiences posted here. I like the Profire, I too think it's the best sounding unit in it's price class. But the drivers, or something between the drivers, and the interface and the computer, and the firewire cable appear to not work for some people sometimes.

I was not aware there was a driver for Maverick... I don't see it on the website: M-AUDIO - Drivers and Software Search
I don't use a PC, so can't comment on Windows... What driver are you using for Mavericks that works? This could push me to update from a stable 10.6.8 if the Profire drivers (for 10.8 I'm guessing?) work well on Maverick.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musimedia ➡️
well, in reality, you can't bypass preamps on any interface (or mic preamp for that matter). The line ins are just paded inputs anyways and still go thru the active preamp electronics or else where would the signal go ?

it's just a difference in level and impedance.

The mic pre(amp) amplifies a low signal to where it can be used, say line level.

So the fact that you pad the input of a mic pre and turn the gain down, you are essentialy setting the amplifier to accept a line level and simply not amplify it.

Now, does that circuit color the sound, that depends on the type of topology used for the amplifier, transformers on the input? EQ in the signal and many other factors.

remember that AD converts also have preamps before the conversion phase, and that they pretty much act in the same way your interface will when set to line level or using dedicated line level inputs. Their circuits could also color the sound.

My ears tell me that, in 2014, most decent interface and/or converters will not be the culprit to bad sound.

cheers!
MVee.
Can you explain you're definition of a "line input" a touch more succinctly?

Are line inputs on mixing consoles simply padded mic pres as well? What about consoles with line inputs and no mic pres? Are these still padded mic pres? Ex: Speck Lilo

Speck Electronics - LiLo Line Mixer

Thx.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
no, I'm not saying that all line inputs are paded mic preamps. But most line input on most interfaces are using the same audio electronics path than the mic input, with fewer amplification stages. They are passing audio thru multiple stages of buffers, balancing/unbalancing circuits, amplifiers,DC Servos, capacitors, resistors and more. The audio on interfaces inputs go thru probably 80% of the same circuit before reaching the AD converters, with the difference that there is at least one extra amplification stage for the mic input OR that the line input is attenuated using a pad.

one good clear exemple of that is the RME Micstasy, it works just like an audio interface only the output is ADAT or MADI instead of USB or FireWire... look at the schematic:

The "TRS 1" input is the intrument/line input with a switch for HI-Z impedance for bass/guitar use, it's going to the same electronics as the XLR Mic input with the addition of a servo amp :

Old 2nd March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highphi ➡️
Well it seems that when it works it works and when it doesn't it doesn't. That is the only thing that can account for the divergent opinions and user experiences posted here.
Sorry, but user error probably makes up for at least 90% of the complaints about any interface. While they are a very simple device to use once you know a lot about how to configure them - we live in age where people expect to always be able to pull a product out of the box, plug it in and have it work perfectly without having to open a control panel, or learn what a single setting is (thanks apple!).

Browsing through this forum - you'll see hundreds of examples of people struggling with a particular piece of hardware, before eventually selling it and forming an opinion that their particular device was a dud. Usually, while reading them describe the symptoms, you'll see that it was a few simple settings that they couldn't work out, OR a problematic computer system that they don't want to / know how to fix.

Quote:
I was not aware there was a driver for Maverick... I don't see it on the website: M-AUDIO - Drivers and Software Search
I don't use a PC, so can't comment on Windows... What driver are you using for Mavericks that works? This could push me to update from a stable 10.6.8 if the Profire drivers (for 10.8 I'm guessing?) work well on Maverick.
Im assuming that I just installed whatever the latest driver was (probably mountain lion), if that's the case, I'm not surprised that M-Audio didnt bother updating a driver for old hardware if the current ones just works.

Let me check it out for you, and just Make sure all is well (I usually use win7, but I'll load up cubase on mavericks just to make sure the hardware is all good), and then I'll let you know it's safe. I don't want you to go ahead and upgrade your machine if anything is inaccurate about my information
Old 2nd March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musimedia ➡️
no, I'm not saying that all line inputs are paded mic preamps. But most line input on most interfaces are using the same audio electronics path than the mic input, with fewer amplification stages. They are passing audio thru multiple stages of buffers, balancing/unbalancing circuits, amplifiers,DC Servos, capacitors, resistors and more. The audio on interfaces inputs go thru probably 80% of the same circuit before reaching the AD converters, with the difference that there is at least one extra amplification stage for the mic input OR that the line input is attenuated using a pad.

one good clear exemple of that is the RME Micstasy, it works just like an audio interface only the output is ADAT or MADI instead of USB or FireWire... look at the schematic:

The "TRS 1" input is the intrument/line input with a switch for HI-Z impedance for bass/guitar use, it's going to the same electronics as the XLR Mic input with the addition of a servo amp :

So - what you have done here is demonstrate exactly what the profire ISN'T

This schematic shows an example of what I'm telling people NOT to use when they own external pres.

The profire let's you bypass that preamp circuit.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
1.) Profire bypasses the preamp circuit when 1/4" balanced is plugged into the combo input, for sure.
2.) Crackles and pops with most of these newer interfaces have to do usually with writing and reading from the same hard drive. It is fully covered on the m-audio site, and external hard-drives are listed that are known and have been tested to work. I had my firewire plug come out one time, so while I was recording a 16 track live show it was reading protools and writing what I was recording on the same internal hard-drive on my laptop. Crackles and pops galore. When I plugged the firewire to my external hard drive back in, no problems. So far, this is the most solid interface I have encountered.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have had 3 profire 610's and this one 2626 and NEVER had a problem with them, I have used them on 3 different computers I have built and they were solid. I am starting to think it is my firewire card I am using on my desktop, it is plain old PCI, and pretty old..I bought it USED way back when the digi 003 came out. My 2626 can go for 3 days lately with no problems, and then it just goes silent..Foobar keeps playing my playlist like normal, the little speaker in Widows still show audio bumping through it, but no sound through the 2626..If I can fix this I was thinking of grabbing the Eleven rack just to get into pro tools 11. Its like getting the rack for free. I really like the sound of my 2626, I use the Tone Beast into the line ins and everything sounds food to me..But if I cant fix it and need to upgrade, it is really a PITA
Old 7th May 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
I would argue that this bassboost is not akin to a loudness button on a home hifi set (not as prominent a boost and more like a slight bass bump). It's there, but it's subtle. Infact, IMHO, it is no different then the low end head bump you would experience on a 16 or 24 track tape machine running at 15ips. This actually works well for me as I mix analog on a console coming 24 out from three 2626's (clocked to a Big Ben). Some days I swear I'm mixing from tape!

How do you know only the DA of the Profire 2626 has a "bassboost?" In my experience it's more prominent on the AD side of this box. I've done a number of converter shootouts and the Profire 2626 rig clocked to the Big Ben holds it's own in it's price category. I do all over dubs through a Rosetta AD and have the ability to monitor through three different DA's. The bump is really subtle when not tracking through the Profire AD. Infact, I think the DA on the Profire is quite good. Black Lion mods these to improve the low end, but if you have analog HPF's it's no big deal. YMMV.
Hi, resurrecting an old thread here but I'm someone who is using a Profire 2626 as their main rig. I'm curious as to this bass 'hump', I read elsewhere as it being between 500-900hz (and on the D/A side, presumably). Though you talk in terms of a whole bass area boost and maybe analog HPF to correct it (although surely it would be a low-shelf filter)? Just after some clarification, if I know what's exactly wrong with the units frequency response then I can go about addressing it :-)
📝 Reply