Quantcast
Stuck in AD coverter/interface hell.... suggestions? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stuck in AD coverter/interface hell.... suggestions?
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Stuck in AD coverter/interface hell.... suggestions?

I'm finishing the last few overdubs of an album project on an Mac G5, OS 10.4. After 8 years of solid service my Black Lion Audio modded Motu 896HD had an unlikely and unfortunate encounter with something liquid and is now totaled. I want to update my whole system at some point, but right now I need to finish up these parts asap, but many new interfaces are not compatible with OS 10.4. I was talked into getting a Presonus Audiobox, but this thing sounds horrible... probably because you can't bypass the mic pre's... contrary to what I was told. All of my high end mic pres and compressors have been reduced to **** running through this thing as well as an old Mbox 2 I have as a spare. I don't need mic pres... just 2 channels of good A/D conversion. Something that's been around so it works with this old OS, but something that doesn't cost a fortune. Please enlighten me... thanks!
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The same interface is on ebay with a day to go with it's auction. Presumably if you can get it at a decent price, even at used market price whatever that is (check completed auctions / craigslist) you would be money ahead given the time you would have to put into removing your old drivers and installing/shaking out some other unit. When you are ready in the future, put the new unit up for resale and hopefully you will only be out shipping costs for the "loaner" unit.

That looks like the easy way with little down time if you can get fast shipment too. Think about redundancy in future rigs or at least a nearby fellow engineer you can rely on to help meet a deadline if gear goes down.
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yeah, I saw that too and have been keeping an eye on the auction. I asked the seller if it includes the clock mod, which mine had, but haven't heard back yet. Probably not, since they no longer offer it and now offer their clock as a separate purchase for around $350. I'm still considering it though and maybe the clock doesn't matter so much for just tracking?

Anyway, good suggestions all around, thanks.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear
This one is tuff because of the osx 10.4 requirement. I would pick up a used RME adi-2 and run it digitally into a interface via adat. The rme adi-2 has great conversion and can be found for $400 used.

As for a interface you could pick up a used m-audio 1814. Its a solid interface that is well built and should work with your osx.
Old 27th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribedescribe ➑️
This one is tuff because of the osx 10.4 requirement. I would pick up a used RME adi-2 and run it digitally into a interface via adat. The rme adi-2 has great conversion and can be found for $400 used.

As for a interface you could pick up a used m-audio 1814. Its a solid interface that is well built and should work with your osx.
Interesting! So, would this Mbox 2 or Presonus Audiobox work be for now if I'm bypassing the pres etc... going through the ADAT with the RME adi-2?

Much thanks!
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
You can find Apogee Duet 1's on eBay for about $300-$400. Should get the job done.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerrules ➑️
You can find Apogee Duet 1's on eBay for about $300-$400. Should get the job done.
Great suggestion... thanks! Duet 1 is compatible with OS 10.4. Found one locally for $269. The only problem is it doesn't come with the driver on a disc and Apogee no longer has a 10.4 Tiger driver up on their site? I'm doing some research... maybe if I contact Apogee they'll hook me up?
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Have you opened up the old unit and seen any sign of burning or bad cap(s)? I assume you have checked for blown fuse. You might also be able to quick ship the unit to Black Lion to see if they can figure it out fast too.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr ➑️
Have you opened up the old unit and seen any sign of burning or bad cap(s)? I assume you have checked for blown fuse. You might also be able to quick ship the unit to Black Lion to see if they can figure it out fast too.
Good questions! I'm buying it from a well known local music store so hopefully it's in decent shape. I wonder if BLA does any kind of mod on these? I can't believe it's priced so low. Hope I can find a OS 10.4 driver!
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
If all you need is two channels, then check out an Apogee Rosetta AD. They are quite inexpensive on ebay these days. You can go straight into the G5 via the adat input. Though you will need a DA to monitor the playback...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highphi ➑️
If all you need is two channels, then check out an Apogee Rosetta AD. They are quite inexpensive on ebay these days. You can go straight into the G5 via the adat input. Though you will need a DA to monitor the playback...
So I would use the adat input of one of these cheaper interfaces i already have for the Rosetta and just monitor back through them as well?

Do you know if there is a significant sound quality difference between the Rosetta v.s. the Duet?
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
You can go straight into the ADAT input on the G5 itself. You can use the out as well if you have an ADAT capable DA. I've used both the Duet and the Rosetta AD, the Rosetta is better even a decade later. Though it does have a sound that you have to like. The line circuits before the AD chip sound very nice... and warm. You could use both and just switch the audio driver in your software for the recording and playback purposes. I don't believe the Duet has a digital in or out.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OP, I was refering to your original blown unit, not what you were looking buy.
Old 1st March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr ➑️
OP, I was refering to your original blown unit, not what you were looking buy.
I sent it to Black Lion Audio who modded it originally. They spent some time on it and tried to revive it, but said basically it's dust. They're a cool company and i trust them. My chihuahua took a leak right into the headphone jack (it's been sitting in the same spot for 7+ years ... why now?!?) Needless to say, it was a "dirty job" for BLA and they we're super-cool and really tried to help.

I pulled the trigger on an Apogee Duet 1, got the driver emailed to me from Apogee. Listening back on it now. Hopefully, should get me through a few overdubs!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellotronic ➑️
I sent it to Black Lion Audio who modded it originally. They spent some time on it and tried to revive it, but said basically it's dust. They're a cool company and i trust them. My chihuahua took a leak right into the headphone jack (it's been sitting in the same spot for 7+ years ... why now?!?) Needless to say, it was a "dirty job" for BLA and they we're super-cool and really tried to help.

I pulled the trigger on an Apogee Duet 1, got the driver emailed to me from Apogee. Listening back on it now. Hopefully, should get me through a few overdubs!
I'm wondering - if you had bought the second hand unit off ebay - could BLA have transplanted your old clock to your new ebay one?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonebytim ➑️
I'm wondering - if you had bought the second hand unit off ebay - could BLA have transplanted your old clock to your new ebay one?
I asked them f they could salvage anything if I bought a replacement 896HD and they said, "not really". I didn't ask specifically about the clock, but they said they would hang onto to my blown unit in case I wanted it for anything. I didn't get the feeling that they were too psyched on the 896HD in general, at least compared to their other mods. Nothing negative, I was just re-directed at every turn to think about something else when discussing a replacement. They love the Digi 002 Mod, but it's $1300. I would have got the 896HD off ebay, but this was a cheaper and faster route for me just to get rolling again this week.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any love for the RME Multiface II on here?
πŸ“ Reply