Quantcast
Transferring Vinyl Through Our Favorite Outboard Gear - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Transferring Vinyl Through Our Favorite Outboard Gear
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Transferring Vinyl Through Our Favorite Outboard Gear

I have a few records that you can't find on iTunes or on cd. Really want to transfer them over. I'm just unsure of the impedance. I'm assuming record players are line level before they hit anything? So a DI is needed to hit a mic preamp ? Or just plug into a DI/line input directly?

Where to plug the ground off of the turn table? To the chassis of the preamp ?

I tried going through my old discrete Pioneer from the 70's but it colors the sound a bit and not in a super way.

I want to hit a few 1073's (which may warm up the signal) or API's (which will probably add less and be truer to the source)

And maybe hit a compressor going in. Do all of my vinyl pop
And hiss reduction in the box and turn it up for a nice cd reference.

Anyone successfully done this? I had a few sessions move this week and wanted to grab a few of my old records that I love to listen to but either don't enjoy the digital version or it doesn't exist.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Traditional record players output isn't line level. You need a phone preamp to change this signal to line level (nearly all traditional hifi-amplifiers have an integrated phono-preamp). Some newer record-players have an inbuild phono-preamp to make it possible to directly use them with audio-interfaces or AV-Receivers which lack a phono-preamp.
Dirk
Old 26th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've had great experiences just using one of those ION A/D turntables.
Old 26th February 2014
tkr
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg58 ➡️
I have a few records that you can't find on iTunes or on cd. Really want to transfer them over. I'm just unsure of the impedance. I'm assuming record players are line level before they hit anything? So a DI is needed to hit a mic preamp ? Or just plug into a DI/line input directly?
Depends. Some turntables have built-in phono preamps that do RIAA conversion and signal amplification up to line level. If not, the output voltage of a phono cartridge can be anything between 0.2 and 5 Milivolts, and will need amplification.

Quote:
Where to plug the ground off of the turn table? To the chassis of the preamp ?
The ground goes to the preamp chassis. But most dedicatet phono preamps have their own ground connector.

Quote:
Anyone successfully done this? I had a few sessions move this week and wanted to grab a few of my old records that I love to listen to but either don't enjoy the digital version or it doesn't exist.
Yes.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…