The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
First outboard compressor? JLM La500 or Lindell 7x?
Old 10th February 2014
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
First outboard compressor? JLM La500 or Lindell 7x?

Hello -

I am about to purchase my first outboard compressor. I am working with an extremely limited budget and looking to fill one slot in my lunchbox. My vision for the lunchbox is to have it contain just a trustworthy vocal chain for myself, so the compressor is the next step - will be exploring EQs after.

I have experience building, so the JLM La500 kit is right up my alley and the Lindell 7x is very reasonably priced and pretty accessible for me to buy in person. I prefer to sing within a baritone range with a described "somewhat masculine" falsetto.

If you want somewhat of a reference, you could listen to this solemn cover of 'Storms' by Fleetwood Mac that I recorded in my living room. Nothing epic. https://soundcloud.com/donald-mazza/...wood-mac-cover

From what I understand, the La500 is closest to an LA3A and the 7x is along the lines of an 1176; the problem is that I don't have enough experience with those compressors to know the difference.

For vocals - which is really the standard go-to? Also should be noted that I really enjoy building kits, so I am leaning towards the La500 just for that very reason.

Feel free to weigh in as you see fit. Thanks!
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I'd go for the LA500. I've got one, and it is a great vocal compressor...smooth musical compression and a subtle but pleasant transformer coloration.

I haven't used the Lindell comp, but I generally prefer an opto for most vocal tracking - especially for self-recording. It's harder to mess up!

If you have extra time and money down the road, there are some FET comp kits on the market.
Old 10th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn ➑️
If you have extra time and money down the road, there are some FET comp kits on the market.
Very helpful! Thank you! Are you referring to the Sound Skulpter CP5176 kit? That's the only FET comp kit I know of; I am always open to more options though!
Old 10th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi.

I'm going to jump in here and second the JLM LA500. Everything lobsterinn said is spot on IMO.

I have both the LA500 and the SoundSkulptor CP5176 and which one gets used really depends on the material and other parts of the chain. They're both equally capable, with the LA500 definitely being more "set and forget".

FWIW, I'm not really that familiar with the originals that these modules are based on, so take anything I say with a pinch of salt. I do a fair amount of the DIY stuff myself and am currently also building some other 1176 derived pieces for my rack: specifically two of Igor's F76s, which are supposed to be rev. F based, though I think in reality Igor always put his own unique twist on things, so I'm not sure how faithful the F76s will be in the end (the pcbs are available at Ramshackle Recording | Ramshackle Recording, but you have to source the components yourself!).

If you haven't already visited, go to groupdiy.com and look at the white market sub forum to see what's available to buy at the moment or alternatively go to the dynamics sub forum to see what people are building at the moment.

Finally it's worth mentioning that if you're doing the DIY thing just to keep costs down, then both the SS and JLM kits are probably the best ones to look at. The SS CP5176 is probably as cheap as it gets for a 500 series 1176 with respectable components. Great deal, no hunting around for parts, and good instructions. Same can be said for the LA500, plus it's even simpler to build than the CP5176.

There's also another 1176 (rev. A) partial kit at: the DON classics.

Hope that helps, and sorry for the long reply!

Kaz

Last edited by taliska; 10th February 2014 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: Spelling!
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
how do you guys find the jlm500 on synths, samples, drum machines, ect..
Old 10th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Haven't really used the LA500 on synths and that kind of stuff as I do most of my electronic stuff ITB, so can't really give an informed opinion there.

My intuition is that a 1176 type compressor would be much better suited to that kind of stuff. I suppose the LA500 might work on pads, but I think in general you need something with more controllable attack and release. The only other configuration that might work involving the LA500 would be to use a 1176 first to tame the high freq bits and then send it to the LA500 to control everything else. I believe that's an old technique for compressing tricky sources, but TBH I've never really got it to work to my liking with my units...but I'm positive that's entirely down to my inexperience more than anything else! ;-)

Kaz
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by taliska ➑️
If you haven't already visited, go to groupdiy.com and look at the white market sub forum to see what's available to buy at the moment or alternatively go to the dynamics sub forum to see what people are building at the moment.
This is all really beneficial info. I missed the boat on the Laz pro limited run on groupdiy that just happened; I recently moved and had some unexpected expenses so coinage has been funneled into furniture, etc.

I think I'm going to order up the LA500! Thanks again everyone.
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hmm interesting - I really like the sound of the pwm comps I've heard. Are there any diy pwm 500 kits?
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Both the LA500 and 5176 are a breeze to build (with LA500 winning my award for easiest to build compressor ever). The LA500 is a great vocal comp though I would not hesitate to use the 5176 on an uptempo vocal. With your voice the LA is going to make it "bigger" which is fine for sparse arrangements. In a busier arrangement you may find you need to eq out more of the lows from your voice because the LA does tend to emphasize those freq's whereas the 5176 (or other FET comps) will have an easier time seating your voice in a busy mix. I really love FET comps on bass and vocals in a busy/uptempo mix and I really love optos for bass and vocal in slower more open arrangements.
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't think you can go wrong with any jlm product.
So for edm - think electro funk - new instruments are subphatty, a4 and octatrack.
Currently I have a overstayer stereo vca which sits on the 2 buss and I was toying with a pico for a Chanel comp for mono (which is pretty much everything) or a txc tonelux.....
Any ideas?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma ➑️
I don't think you can go wrong with any jlm product.
So for edm - think electro funk - new instruments are subphatty, a4 and octatrack.
Currently I have a overstayer stereo vca which sits on the 2 buss and I was toying with a pico for a Chanel comp for mono (which is pretty much everything) or a txc tonelux.....
Any ideas?
Have you tried strapping the OS VCA onto a s***** synth and cranking the "behavior" knob". Personally I think using the VCA for subtle 2bus duties is a waste of its potential. It has some seriously interesting attitude when you push it and the blend knob lets you go way too far and then blend it to perfection.
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I haven really to be honest. So for instance if I'm tracking my subphatty which is mono, do I jest connect it up to either left or right side? Isn't the detector stereo only? Sorry for the noob question - it's my first outboard. What I getting at is I don't think it's dual mono - I don't have it here - I'm at the gfs house.
I signal to a stereo comp
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma ➑️
I haven really to be honest. So for instance if I'm tracking my subphatty which is mono, do I jest connect it up to either left or right side? Isn't the detector stereo only? Sorry for the noob question - it's my first outboard. What I getting at is I don't think it's dual mono - I don't have it here - I'm at the gfs house.
I signal to a stereo comp
The OS VCA has a linked stereo sidechain so just plug your mono source into either input and it will work fine.
πŸ“ Reply