The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What 500 module fits this description?
Old 14th December 2013
  #31
Lives for gear
 
Progmatic-Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Thanks!
Bump
Old 14th December 2013 | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Progmatic-Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
So far we have these options:

Capi VP28
Custom Analog Services β€’ Classic API VP28

Purple LILPEQr
Lilpeqr

CAPI LC53
Custom Analog Services β€’ Classic API LC53A "love Child"

Vintech 573
: : VINTECH AUDIO : :

XQP 545 Optical Disrupter
XQP 545 Optical Disrupter

Rupert Neve 542
Rupert Neve Designs – Portico 542 – 500 Series Tape Emulator with Silk

API 550
API 550A Discrete 3 Band EQ

Any more suggestions?
Are there any users here who own one of these modules?
Thanks
Old 14th December 2013
  #33
Lives for gear
 
skyshaver's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I know you're asking about hardware but I use the UAD Fairchild compressor plug in on soft synths. Especially stereo ones with lots of stuff going on. I find it reigns them in and makes them sound a little more "organic."
Old 15th December 2013
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Progmatic-Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Thanks for replying but im looking for a 500 module
Any other suggestions or members who use the modules I mentioned above?
Thanks again!
Old 15th December 2013 | Show parent
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Progmatic-Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by erol ➑️
So far we have these options:

Capi VP28
Custom Analog Services β€’ Classic API VP28

Purple LILPEQr
Lilpeqr

CAPI LC53
Custom Analog Services β€’ Classic API LC53A "love Child"

Vintech 573
: : VINTECH AUDIO : :

XQP 545 Optical Disrupter
XQP 545 Optical Disrupter

Rupert Neve 542
Rupert Neve Designs – Portico 542 – 500 Series Tape Emulator with Silk

API 550
API 550A Discrete 3 Band EQ

Any more suggestions?
Are there any users here who own one of these modules?
Thanks
Bump
Old 15th December 2013 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Audio Child's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by erol ➑️
Bump
You probably need all those pieces! One just won't do lool
Old 15th December 2013
  #37
Lives for gear
 
dandeurloo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Classic API missing links. Everyone needs at least a pair.
Old 15th December 2013 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
+1 on the Portico tape eulator.

Also, Bereich03 Density well worth considering for this role.

A pair of Looptrotter SaturAmps would be perfect.

As would a pair of Chandler Little Devil pres.

Much as I love the VP28, it wouldn't be the first thing to occur to me for adding deliberate warmth.
Old 15th December 2013
  #39
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
yup, I have the vp28's and the lilpqr.
Old 15th December 2013 | Show parent
  #40
Lives for gear
 
Progmatic-Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedup ➑️
+1 on the Portico tape eulator.

Also, Bereich03 Density well worth considering for this role.

A pair of Looptrotter SaturAmps would be perfect.

As would a pair of Chandler Little Devil pres.

Much as I love the VP28, it wouldn't be the first thing to occur to me for adding deliberate warmth.
Thanks. Do you own any of these modules?
Old 16th December 2013
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Progmatic-Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Bump
Old 16th December 2013
  #42
Lives for gear
 
Progmatic-Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Any Vintech 573 here too?
Old 17th December 2013
  #43
Gear Addict
 
Toni-P's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
A very serious, but also quite expensive unit for the 500 series is the
Shadow Hills Vandergraph.
A stereo compressor based of their flagship mastering compressor.

RND Portico 542 is beautiful as well, lots of different character to choose from.

On the more affordable side you can also consider the
Looptrooter pre amp, SATurAMP.
Has a nice filter and a saturator in it.

API 550A has indeed been mentioned before. Even if you don't do anything and just run the audio through it you can hear a difference.

Something tube based like the Cranesong Falcon will also add a nice bit of character to your sound. Especially when you drive it a little harder than you are comfortable with :-)
Old 17th December 2013 | Show parent
  #44
Lives for gear
 
Progmatic-Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni-P ➑️
On the more affordable side you can also consider the
Looptrooter pre amp, SATurAMP.
Has a nice filter and a saturator in it.
Thanks Toni.
Do you (or someone else here) own 2 SATurAMP modules? If yes, could I send one stereo audio file for testing purposes?
Old 18th December 2013 | Show parent
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Progmatic-Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by erol ➑️
So far we have these options:

Capi VP28
Custom Analog Services β€’ Classic API VP28

Purple LILPEQr
Lilpeqr

CAPI LC53
Custom Analog Services β€’ Classic API LC53A "love Child"

Vintech 573
: : VINTECH AUDIO : :

XQP 545 Optical Disrupter
XQP 545 Optical Disrupter

Rupert Neve 542
Rupert Neve Designs – Portico 542 – 500 Series Tape Emulator with Silk

API 550
API 550A Discrete 3 Band EQ

Any more suggestions?
Are there any users here who own one of these modules?
Thanks
bump
Old 19th December 2013 | Show parent
  #46
Gear Addict
 
Toni-P's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by erol ➑️
Thanks Toni.
Do you (or someone else here) own 2 SATurAMP modules? If yes, could I send one stereo audio file for testing purposes?
We only have 1 in our facility at the moment :-(
Old 20th December 2013
  #47
Lives for gear
 
Progmatic-Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Bump
Old 21st December 2013 | Show parent
  #48
Lives for gear
 
Andrew Kinsey's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by erol ➑️
Thanks.
Any more Vintech 573, XQP or Portico users here?
We have a pair of 573's that get used regularly for tracking synths and as a make up gain amp to a passive mixer on mixdown. The extra thickness from the saturation really brings a mix to life.

As Nathan already mentioned an inline pad can be used to attenate the line level coming from your audio interface so that you can drive the vintech harder without it dirtorting. You can also make them very easily by modding some xlr cables with 3 resistors for each cable.

It does also have a line level switch built in which can also be used directly but the line level signal on that unit is hotter than what you will get if you use a pad.

The impedance switch also is usefull when running mixes through; engadged its slightly more forward and often have that button pushed in.
Old 21st December 2013 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
Progmatic-Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey ➑️
We have a pair of 573's that get used regularly for tracking synths and as a make up gain amp to a passive mixer on mixdown. The extra thickness from the saturation really brings a mix to life.

As Nathan already mentioned an inline pad can be used to attenate the line level coming from your audio interface so that you can drive the vintech harder without it dirtorting. You can also make them very easily by modding some xlr cables with 3 resistors for each cable.

It does also have a line level switch built in which can also be used directly but the line level signal on that unit is hotter than what you will get if you use a pad.

The impedance switch also is usefull when running mixes through; engadged its slightly more forward and often have that button pushed in.
do you use the vintech's on the master output of a mix? May I send you a stereo wave file for testing purposes? That would be great!
Also, what exactly is a inline pad? can't i just lower the DAW volume?
Old 23rd December 2013 | Show parent
  #50
Lives for gear
 
Progmatic-Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo22 ➑️
Capi VP28's
Thinking of building this any other suggestions?
Old 26th December 2013
  #51
Lives for gear
 
Progmatic-Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Bump
Old 2nd January 2014 | Show parent
  #52
Lives for gear
 
Progmatic-Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
So far we have these options for "warming up" digital line signals:

Capi VP28
Custom Analog Services β€’ Classic API VP28

VC528 ML2 (The Missing Link)
Classic Audio Products of Illinois

Bereich03 Density
density -details

Vintech 573
: : VINTECH AUDIO : :

XQP 545 Optical Disrupter
XQP 545 Optical Disrupter

Rupert Neve 542
Rupert Neve Designs – Portico 542 – 500 Series Tape Emulator with Silk

Looptrotter SaturAmp
LOOPTROTTER Audio Engineering - SATurAMP

Any more suggestions?
Maybe DIY?

Thanks
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 573 views: 152225
Avatar for fifthflaw
fifthflaw 6th December 2008
replies: 132 views: 57129
Avatar for Deleted 2be7eae9b5ae504
Deleted 2be7eae9b5ae504 28th January 2017
replies: 1177 views: 115079
Avatar for Whitecat
Whitecat 29th July 2013
replies: 82 views: 30220
Avatar for shortyboyboy
shortyboyboy 9th October 2017
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump