The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tower Records liquidates
Old 15th October 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher ➡️
About 15 or so years ago I met the manager of that store [back in the way old days when it was the big NEW Tower Records]. He said the rent at that time was $60,000/mo.

Let's say that again slowly.

SIXTY THOUSAND dollars per month.

Having watched real estate in and around that area with great amusement over the last several years I don't think the rent went down in that particular location.

You have to sell a hell of a lot of $15 compact disks to begin to cover that kind of nut... plus employees, plus benefits, trash removal, insurance, blah, blah, blah... I'm more surprised it's stayed open as long as it did and frankly I thought Virgin was being more than optimistic when they tried to make a go of that location... of course I am the moron in the 4000 sq. ft. of shitty warehouse space 8 minutes from the center of nowhere [unless you're a GridIron Football fan in which case we're 8 minutes from the center of the universe!! ... and overblown rock shows that are usually pretty damn boring but I digress]... at $3.15/per sq. ft... but you know what they say about retail... it's all about location, location, location.

I never really liked that store anyway. Since (from what I heard from Berklee anyway) Berklee is tearing down the 130-136 Mass Ave Building, and putting up a 40 story building for the school (I don't believe it til I see it, but whatever), Berklee should try to grab that space temporarily, however they are asking too much on the RE there.

i have heard more recently that the rent was FAR FAR higher than that now, as in upwards of 200K/month. Impossible to make money on that. I went to Newbury Comics instead anyway. Better music, better vibe, better vinyl, better employyes, etc. Also satilite on Mass Ave had some ok DJ stuff.
Old 15th October 2006 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Sartiano ➡️
Google just paid $32 (in solidly-valued Google stock) PER USER to buy YouTube.

That's $32 for each USER on a social networking site.

$32 for each teenager who uploads birthday photos.

$1.6 BILLION for a site that was founded in DECEMBER OF LAST YEAR.

That's like winning $1 million a week in the lottery...FOR 30 YEARS!

You could PAY people $32 to use your site, for what that's worth...

Jules, how much is Gearslutz worth, at that rate?
$729,504... but who's counting?
📝 Reply