The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1176 or distressor next for MY setup?
Old 25th September 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
1176 or distressor next for MY setup?

Hey everyone...
I'm looking to move up to some high end compression next month.

My setup is basically something like this:
DBX 160x (2)
Drawmer MX30
RNC (2)
Art Pro VLA (i'm getting this next week for pretty cheap)
Lots of plugins (bomb factory, mcdsp, waves, etc)

So if you were in my shoes, would you add an 1176 (possibly the purple one) or a distressor and why? I've had ZERO experience with either (except the bomb factory 1176 ) so i'm not sure which way to go, but i know both will sound very nice.

So experts, give me some expert advice!

Thanks
Old 25th September 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Tough call. They both cover some of the same ground but do it in a different way. I own a pair of UA1176's but I also want a Distressor or two. I guess that doesn't help does it?

If anything the Distressor is a bit more versatile so I'd be inclined to go with that but the 1176 just has this "thing" to it. I dunno, put a vocal though it and it sounds like a record. Neither one sucks.
Old 25th September 2002
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs

I dunno, put a vocal though it <1176> and it sounds like a record.
I like records. heh
Old 25th September 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would look at the Cranesong Trakker if I were you too. There's another GS thread with Distressor/Trakker comparing worth checking out on here...
Old 25th September 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm looking at the same choices for my next comp'. Personally I'm leaning towards the Distressor for the reason Jay mentioned but I really do miss not having an 1176 at my finger tips... One of each is a bit long for me at this particular moment so I'll probably go with the Distressor for it's "Swiss Army" kind of ability's.

Any one know if Empirical Labs will still do only the 'Brit mod' (as a send in) by itself?
Old 25th September 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Try for both! I got the 1176 first 'cause it was more suited to my needs. The EL8 is on it's way and I can't wait to use it and compare the two. About the mods, it looks to me like you can still get just the British mod if you'd like, their site should tell you:

http://empiricallabs.com/Products.htm

Man, now I need some of that Cranesong gear.... ummm trakker... mo money, mo money, mo money...
Old 25th September 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 1176 definately has a 'Thing' and is the only real deal... ppl must really be kidding themselves with thtose plug ins.... they sound OK but are NOT the real thing. Once you have either used or own both there is no real comparison.

Distrssor is THE most versatile compressor around... save the Trackker.. which i am lusting to hear but there are very few here in Australia. And if you get a distressor definately spirng for th 'Brit' mod.... its so well worth it!!!!

But get a sniff on all 3 and see which fits the bill the best.

In a perfect world we would have all 3 and in multiples!!!!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 26th September 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Well, if the Trakker is thrown into the mix I'd probably go with one of those. I prefer the 1176 to a Distressor on vocals. For bass, drums, horns I can either way. For guitars and keys I prefer the 1176 most of the time. Part of the 1176 magic to me is being able to crank the gain on the input and saturate the transformer while it's in bypass. That and the 4 button trick. The Distressor can't do those.
Old 26th September 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Part of the 1176 magic to me is being able to crank the gain on the input and saturate the transformer while it's in bypass. That and the 4 button trick. The Distressor can't do those

The 4 button thing can be emulated with the 'Brit' mod that is specifically what it was designed to emulate.

As for the TX distorition.. they can be emulated thru the different modes of distorion emphasis.

Agreed it is not 100% accurate but for most cases its definately inthe ballpark..... buy still as gearslutz.. we know there is no substitute for the real thing....

BTW
Jay can you pls post your thoughts ont he OSA preamps?

Am interested in some?

PEACE
Wiggy

Old 26th September 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You guys aren't making this any easier!!!

How are the vintage silver 1176's, by the way? They seem to be the cheapest that i can find.
Old 26th September 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Silver 1176's are the newest of the original ones. IIRC they don't have the transformers on the input. Check Fletchers article on old gear for the details.

OSA is coming soon. I'm halfway done with it and I'm running out of time this week. I'm hoping to finish it tomorrow morning but it might not get posted until Monday night at this point. Chill out!
Old 27th September 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by XHipHop
You guys aren't making this any easier!!!

How are the vintage silver 1176's, by the way? They seem to be the cheapest that i can find.
If it has the blue stripes on it and it's not trashed it may be cool. The "Blue Stripe" silver face are the original 1176's. The "Black Face" came after that with the "Silver Face" following the black ones. According to Universal Audio there is a black face version with out the transformer input ('G' rev.). There are also two revisions of the 'black' that are not class A (F, G rev's) as well as the silvers.

Personaly, I wouldn't get a silver unless it was a stupid good deal. If I decide to go with the 1176 It'll be a Purple MC76 or one of the new UA units.
Old 2nd October 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The Trakker is the most versatile bad ass compressor I have heard to date, nothing else can touch it. It can be smooth, clean, colored or aggressive.
πŸ“ Reply