The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for Analog Delay
Old 10th September 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Looking for Analog Delay

I'm looking for an ANALOG delay unit.
Must be single-channel mono, with balanced in and out connectors.
Any suggestions?

I want to run it in-between my mic-pre and one of the line-ins on my 002.
Old 10th September 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have one for sale (Roland SRE-555). It's in perfect shape other than some cosmetic wear... it sounds great, the heads are in prime condition, and I have a box of replacement tapes that I'll throw in.

It's really heavy so regarding shipping rates it'll be kinda spendy (it measures in around 35 to 40 lbs)

Are you in the US?

Here's a link to my sale:
http://www.analogelectric.com/analogsale2/

-- Adam Lazlo
Old 10th September 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Moog MF-105SD

Great sound, plus CV controls!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Most analog delays are hideously noisy. At least the BBD analog chip ones are. They tend to use companding noise supression, but they still hiss. I wouldn't consider inserting one in my vocal tracking chain. Why not run it as a send effect at mix time. Or at least track the wet signal seperately.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yamaha E1010. Very nice analog delay.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the suggestions! I'd prefer a BBD unit rather than a tape device.
The Moog and Yamaha units look cool. Do they have balanced connectors?

I'm recording electric guitars, and prefer to track with mono effects. Delay pedals sound can sound fizzy when used in front of a cranked tube amp. I thought it would sound more natural to add the delay post-mic.

I don't mind using a digital modeler like the Line 6 Echo Pro. However, the Echo Pro has seperate XLR ins and outs for Left and Right signals. Since I'm only running one channel, can I connect the Echo Pro as a mono device? How would this be accomplished?
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My fav mono delay unit is the Lexicon PCM 42, but I don't think it fits your stats, if it were me I would make an exception.

www.bluethumbproductions.com
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.T. ➑️
Thanks for the suggestions! I'd prefer a BBD unit rather than a tape device.
The Moog and Yamaha units look cool. Do they have balanced connectors?

I'm recording electric guitars, and prefer to track with mono effects. Delay pedals sound can sound fizzy when used in front of a cranked tube amp. I thought it would sound more natural to add the delay post-mic.

I don't mind using a digital modeler like the Line 6 Echo Pro. However, the Echo Pro has seperate XLR ins and outs for Left and Right signals. Since I'm only running one channel, can I connect the Echo Pro as a mono device? How would this be accomplished?

The *only* analog delay I can think of with balanced I/O is some old Klark Teknik one, the "Analogue Time Processor" (I think it's a DN-36). If balanced I/O is a dealbreaker, you're not really going to have any options. Is there a reason you can't use an unbalanced one?

As for the Line 6, yes, you can use it in mono. Just connect to one of the channels... I think it's actually marked on the jacks which to use for mono.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.T. ➑️
Yep, that's it... actually it's the little brother of the 2-channel DN36, so I guess that gives you 2 options.
These won't really be effective for echo effects, though, the delays are very short and are more for modulated effects (chorus, doubling, etc). I think the max delay time is 100ms or under.
If you want echo effects, I'd also recommend the Yamaha E1010. Very rich sounding and fairly inexpensive, but it's unbalanced. FWIW, I run it into the balanced inputs of my Radar II all the time and have never had a problem. Just use a TS cable instead of a TRS.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I'd say that it's well worth getting a Little Labs PCP. With it, any "guitar level" device- including the many available delays, becomes balanced and +4.

Of the analog delays being built, the Memory Man Deluxe (chip based) and the Fulltone (tape based) are the ones to get. I had the Moog for about a minute and found it extremely dark and only useful for a few things. Quite a bit of money for it though.

There are many older delays and they're all "voiced" differently. Like just about everything in our world, everything has it's place and nothing really replaces anything else.

Lastly, I think that everyone that I know (including many wonderful players) owns those green modeling pedals. Every time that it's been added into the path, I've always been dissapointed how thin and shallow the tone becomes.

Steven
Old 25th August 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bumping an old thread here because I opened up my Klark Teknik DN36 "Analogue Time Processor" and it has unbalanced XLRs after all (and pin 3 hot to boot).
Just wanted to add this info because a Google search for this model turned up very few links other than this thread, so I figured I better at least have the correct information on it.
And, according to the manual, the delay times only go to like 50 ms but the bandwidth goes up to something like 16 khz.
Old 26th August 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
moog
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
moog +1

they werent not in stock/in production though last yr, I had to find mine on ebay
(go for the SD it has a much longer delay time)

it is a 'pedal' though, just one thats too nice to put on the floor

echo pro isnt that great, it sounds a bit 'plastic' to me, I sold mine having hardly ever used it (but no problem to use it mono in & it did have balanced connectors IIRC)

I usually much prefer good digital delays though, they often sound better on synths anyway (& dont be thrown by the 'digital' tag with good convertors/filters they definitely 'do something' to the sound) if you cant afford the famous expensive ones there is always the BelBD80 which does it for me & usually costs a few hundred

:J
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The TC 2290 is an amazing sounding delay. Quick and easy to dial in the settings and possibly the best digital delay built. If I had to pick one digital delay, this would be it. Like everything good, they stopped making it.

For something a bit less hi-fi and grainier, the Lexicon PCM42 and the Roland SDE-3000 are great choices.

The Yamaha D1500 should also fit your bill and is often overlooked or forgotten.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
any tc delay sounds great..the d2 is awesome..unfortunately mine is in a box in the closet.. i have plenty of delay now...the delay in my h8000 is great..the Moog is great for use with a head...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Check out Melos DE-1's, cheap as chips but fantastic echoes. I bought two to run them stereo. Usually found on ebay.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For the $$$ I think the Korg SDD 2000 sounds great. Especially the modulation section.

They are easy to find on E-bay, very reliable and can be had for about $150.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
another vote for the Yamaha E1010. set the delay in the 150-300ms range and add a little modulation and you're there!

the modulation section can do vibrato, flange and chorus too, but there are much better choices for that.
Old 27th August 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
A classic analog delay...

Bipolar tension balancing.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for Analog Delay-can-string-phone1.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
I can't hold back any longer, i have to throw THIS ONE out there! hehhehheh

Aaahh now that's a sweet analog delay. Whatever....
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Fresh.
So I see they scrapped the original name of
"Remembering Man"
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount Cyanide ➑️
Fresh.
So I see they scrapped the original name of
"Remembering Man"
Some might say inspired. Unbelievable.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wasn't the original poster looking for an ANALOG delay?

PCM42, Korg SDD, 2290, D2,...still have a smidgen of digital inside...
RR
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I go bitten by the analog delay bug and ..... I like it.....they sound "terrible" which is exactly what is required, as the ear immediately seperates the delay sound from the original. I bought an ADA TFX4 and an Ibanez AD-202. Both of those are frequently on ebay in varying states of operation......

You will have a hard time finding something balanced ......maybe a Marshall Time Modulator (multiply your budget by 10). Anyway, I'd keep the dry signal as far away as possible

Andy
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Balanced TRS on the Symetrix 606. Thats a nice delay!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you can find one, the Korg Stage Echo's pretty cool.

I never knew Korg made an old school tape delay, but my friend let me borrow one. Real natural sounding, I haven't found the time control tools yet my friend says it's capable.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alamo ➑️
Wasn't the original poster looking for an ANALOG delay?

PCM42, Korg SDD, 2290, D2,...still have a smidgen of digital inside...
RR
They got analog connections they must be analog ... right?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysexguy ➑️
You will have a hard time finding something balanced

IIRC the Loft 450 had balanced (as well as unbalanced) gozintas & gozouttas. That was one of my favorites for crunchy flanging and less-than-pristine short echos. And yes, it was analog.
Old 28th August 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Korg SD-200 is a fantastic analog delay and can be had for cheap (if you find it).

I bought one last week of an old country guitar player here in London and have been
using it a lot. It can take microphone/guitar/line (it also sounds great as a DI for guitar, actually).

KORG MUSEUMbKORG INC.
Korg SD-200 - oldschool-sound.com: Fiches techniques

I think the Line-6 emulations are OK, though

Santiago
πŸ“ Reply