The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CAPI VP28 Op Amp Shootout
Old 18th December 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️
I'm about to drop 4 Rogue 5's into my pair of vp28's - as soon as I can get some. I know Brad from LTL has done it and had great things to say. Contact him directly for more on his thoughts.
did you do it ? how was it ? thanks
Old 18th December 2018
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Sounded good. Less "smeared" (for lack of a better word) than the GAR's. But it's all the same meal with slightly different spices. Choose what you like. They are inexpensive enough that you can easily try some out.
Old 28th December 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
two rouge five comming my way
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterr ➡️
So I recently purchased a pair of VP28's and I must say they are very impressive! I was extremely curious about the different sound of the Op Amps so I ordered some extras and recorded a guitar test. Every combination pre and post was tested using Red Dot's, GAR2520, and GAR 1731's.

This test was done using a guitar loop so the performance is identical on each test. I included a list of the gear as well as pictures from the test. I also ran the test with the other mic preamps in my collection and I will post those once we have had time to discuss the differences in the VP28 options.

-2008 Gibson Les Paul Classic with 498T humbucker.
-1980 Marshall JMP 100 Watt (modded)
-Shure SM57
-Bogner 4X12 with V30's
-Prism ADA-8XR conversion

I hope this is helpful!
Stephan
Old thread I know.. But since there isn't much else going and this is relevant to me...

Now do it all again with the Vp28 platinum and Heiders!

Seriously.. I l've decided on CAPI's but fail to pull the trigger every time. Options paralysis for sure.

It almost makes me want to just get API and forget about trying to decide. Trouble is.. I'm sure the CAPI's will be better.. If I can pick the right one!

With that said, I actually like the 1731's because it does something cool to the mid-range. Almost sounds chewy. I'm not sure my definition of chewy is everyone else's, but I'm thinking more in terms of gum and elasticity.
Old 7th March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i would NOT go API, i would go CAPI, Avedis MD7, Louder than liftoff Chroma or even Warm Audio. To me all this sound better than api. I had a 3124 and sold it after demoing MD7. Next i fitted opamp sockets to the MD7´s and have a bunch of different opamps and change them depending on the sound i want

Last edited by HansMues; 7th March 2020 at 03:14 PM..
📝 Reply