The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alesis HD24 Users , You Happy With it ?
Old 13th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
I use the RME to access outboard conversion with the HD24XR. My favorite ADC is the PCM/DSD4222 EVM from BurrBrown with a different analog section. For DAC's I use Project Audio Pre Box S2's (3) a Topping DX7 and a custom Mark Levenson/Mytek/Williams PCM/DSD 1704 based sign magnitude DAC with all THS 3061 transconductance opamps running at 450 MHz, all direct coupled. All of those sound more refined than the AKM chips in the HD.
So with using all these other devices, it is the HD24XR that handles the analog part or is it the equivalent of an adaptor having no influence on the sound?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by signalpudding ➡️
I'm not who you quoted but it's the HD24 acting as just the recorder and the other stuff mentioned acting as the converters.
Thanks for clarifying that, I overlooked it being used in the standalone way. No wonder I was confused
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boriscrispin ➡️
Thanks for clarifying that, I overlooked it being used in the standalone way. No wonder I was confused
I deleted my original comment cause I saw he mentioned using the RME as well and I also wasn't clear exactly how he had them setup. Guessing using some converters he likes better for the AD into the HD24 and then out of the HD24 into the computer with ADAT on the RME. But yea whatever the setup the HD24 will record exactly what you put in no problem.
Old 14th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by signalpudding ➡️
I deleted my original comment cause I saw he mentioned using the RME as well and I also wasn't clear exactly how he had them setup. Guessing using some converters he likes better for the AD into the HD24 and then out of the HD24 into the computer with ADAT on the RME. But yea whatever the setup the HD24 will record exactly what you put in no problem.
Yea, I tend to get confused with digital chains - though I now understand what I was essentially driving at, Jim doesn't actually use 'the sound' of the HD24XR. Which is completely fine of course!
Old 14th November 2020
I use both options here. Critical tracks tend to get the outboard conversion for tracking, I use about 10 channels of external DAC's for mixing, always done analog here.
📝 Reply