Quantcast
Is a Preamp with EQ needed for Singers? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is a Preamp with EQ needed for Singers?
Old 24th May 2013
Is a Preamp with EQ needed for Singers?

So I've been reading a lot lately..

I had a very well known source tell me I MUST use EQ for recording singers. Is this true?

I'm currently using a fully modded Zen Pro Audio Pre73 with the fully modded EQ73 (thanks Warren).

While recording singing vocals, I've never touched the EQ because I know it can't be undone once recorded. Not sure if theory is involved here or not but I'm curious about this!
Old 24th May 2013
Deleted User
I never use EQ on vocalists when tracking....(Mostly because or recall issues down the line)

BUT, I do think that I'd be ok with tracking if I EQ'd the vocals to almost exactly what I wanted them to sound like as a finished track...Say, just a little top shelf.

Realistically, I don't like to print effects to tape.
Old 24th May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNMusicman ➡️
I never use EQ on vocalists when tracking....(Mostly because or recall issues down the line)

BUT, I do think that I'd be ok with tracking if I EQ'd the vocals to almost exactly what I wanted them to sound like as a finished track...Say, just a little top shelf.

Realistically, I don't like to print effects to tape.
I'm worried about that and I'd prefer not to use EQ before. Some say cut everything below 80khz because its unusable
Old 24th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhitebeats ➡️
Some say cut everything below 80khz because its unusable
That's a pretty safe call. If you've only got the one good EQ, I say print it. Just be light-handed with it if you're not feeling secure about it.
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No its not a must.
It is a relatively common practice.
Old 24th May 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Ignore what people tell you or current conventional wisdom says and go with what you think sounds good in the particular circumstance.

I frequently EQ "to tape" (sometimes literally, usually figuratively) and prefer to track vocals with compression- colored compressors- as well. And I have no problem distorting vocals going in, too, if it's called for.

A highpass or low-cut filter can be very useful in eliminating plosives, whether on the mic or on the board/pre. Realistically, there's probably not much useful information down there anyhow, but use your ears. If it sucks with the HPF/low-cut engaged, don't use it. If it's a variable HPF, have them sing a bit and dial it in. For a deep male voice, it's gonna be a bit different than, say, an operatic soprano. There's no hard-and-fast rules; it will vary by the singer, the mic itself, distance from the mic, etc.

I am of the school that says "get it right going in". And I'm not an older guy- early 30s- or an analog purist (though I like hardware and tape) either. From my point of view, it's less to do down the line. It's a production decision. Practice, in this case, beats theory. If it sounds better with the EQ, use the EQ.

I am also reminded of Slipperman's quote re: recording guitars- "everything is EQ". And that's a really important point: the mic choice, placement, preamp, etc., even the room itself... What's a knob twist or two, after all?
📝 Reply