The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recommendations for mic and pre-amp for voice over work
Old 13th May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Recommendations for mic and pre-amp for voice over work

I am building a small basement studio to record dry commercial voice-overs. I will be interfacing with my iMac. From what I can see there are a LOT of options for microphones and audio interfaces.

Can anyone (particularly any commercial producers) recommend a sweet sounding microphone to make my voice shine? I am thinking in the $1000 range.

Can you also recommend a good quality audio interface with a sweet pre-amp? I don't need much more than a couple of mic inputs.

Any suggestions and comments are very much appreciated.

Many thanks for the help!
Old 14th May 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhanley ➡️
I am building a small basement studio to record dry commercial voice-overs. I will be interfacing with my iMac. From what I can see there are a LOT of options for microphones and audio interfaces.

Can anyone (particularly any commercial producers) recommend a sweet sounding microphone to make my voice shine? I am thinking in the $1000 range.

Can you also recommend a good quality audio interface with a sweet pre-amp? I don't need much more than a couple of mic inputs.

Any suggestions and comments are very much appreciated.

Many thanks for the help!
There are a bunch of great mics around $1000. Blackspade UM17, Advanced Audio CM47, and many more. Pair any of these with an Apogee Duet 2 and that's a perfect VO rig to start out. Add high end pres and comps later if you want, but that a simple setup to get you going.
Old 16th May 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexevans917 ➡️
There are a bunch of great mics around $1000. Blackspade UM17, Advanced Audio CM47, and many more. Pair any of these with an Apogee Duet 2 and that's a perfect VO rig to start out. Add high end pres and comps later if you want, but that a simple setup to get you going.
Interesting. I don't think I've come across these brands before. How do they compare with the likes of an AKG C414 (keeping in mind this will be used for dry voice overs)?

Thanks!
Old 2nd July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
My Advanced Audio CM47 just arrived today. Thanks for the recommendation! Looking forward to trying it out!
Old 2nd July 2013 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhanley ➡️
My Advanced Audio CM47 just arrived today. Thanks for the recommendation! Looking forward to trying it out!
Sweet! I have the CM47SE and it sounds awesome on voiceover.
📝 Reply