The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recommendation on what to buy. Yamaha HS80m's or the new HS8 monitor.
Old 18th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Recommendation on what to buy. Yamaha HS80m's or the new HS8 monitor.

Hey all,

I was hoping for some advice here. I've been planning on getting the Yamaha HS80m monitors for quite some time now. They're finally on sale at my music store ($100 off), so I was tempted to get them. That is until I found out about Yamaha's new HS8 ad HS8 monitors. They go for what the HS80m monitors were before the discount. So $350 each.

I was wondering if I should hold off on the HS80m monitors and get the HS8s instead. Is there a significant difference between the two that should make me screw the sale on the HS80ms and get the HS8s instead?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'd wait. I had a pair of rev1 units. They worked but had some issues (all do). If you will be stuck with what you buy for a while, I would not cheap out.

I would bet the revision is worth it.
Old 18th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hmm,

What were your issues, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm trying to figure out what the huge differences are between the two and if it's much more worth it to wait.
Old 18th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Can someone tell me if there is a huge difference between the old ones and the new ones?
I'm battling with either jumping on the sale of the HS80m (which are apparently being d discontinued) or waiting for these new ones that have little feedback and user info right now.

New ones:

Yamaha HS8 | ZenPro Audio

Old ones:

Yamaha HS80M Pair | ZenPro Audio
Old 19th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
My College uses Hs80M and they are absolutely fantastic, the studio engineer loves them, our teachers love them (and they are examiners) and they are a great pair! picking myself up some soon as well!
Old 19th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Just a little update. I went in to my music store to ask how many they had left in stock since they would never be getting any more in after they sell out. They literally had 2 left and they were the unboxed, on the shelf ones. Still new, just slightly used for auditioning keyboards and such. I got them for $250 each! Regardless of my dilemma, I feel that was a steal, so I went for it.
Old 19th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckthisplace ➑️
Just a little update. I went in to my music store to ask how many they had left in stock since they would never be getting any more in after they sell out. They literally had 2 left and they were the unboxed, on the shelf ones. Still new, just slightly used for auditioning keyboards and such. I got them for $250 each! Regardless of my dilemma, I feel that was a steal, so I went for it.
At that price it's definately a good deal :-)
Now you can wait till the HS8's come out, check all the reviews, audition them etc... Then if you decide they are superior just sell your HS80's and buy the HS8's.
Old 19th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Precisely my plan, TekBot!
Old 19th April 2013 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckthisplace ➑️
Can someone tell me if there is a huge difference between the old ones and the new ones?
I know you've already made your purchase (congrats!) but figured I would answer this question with at least an educated guess coupled with what I do know.

Yamaha is stating improvements in 2 areas:

1) updated drivers (tweeter and woofer)

2) updated ports (quieter design)

They seem to be stating in literature I have received that the electronics are the same (op-amps, amplifiers).

They have also announced a new model, the HS7 which has a 6.5" driver (ala NS10).

We have stock on order for the new HS series with all models scheduled to arrive in May, and the 5" HS5 due in June (estimated of course).

In the meantime the HS80M continues to fly off the shelf here, stock and modified.

If the HS series does in fact stick to the same op-amp and capacitor choices, we would just keep on the same path we've been on for performing upgrades here at ZenPro.

That's all the info I have at this very moment.

War
Old 19th April 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I got a couple pairs of HS80Ms a while ago for $600 through employee discount. I love them in both of my mixing locations, but I'd be interested to see how the new version stacks up. I'll definitely be checking them out in store when they get them around here.
Old 20th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks for all of your replies. Much appreciated. I'm loving them so far. I have the mid eq boosted +2db and have the room control at -2db because I am temporarily in a space where, unfortunately, my monitors are close to some corners, so I'm under the impression that the room control is best set at that setting for situations such as mine. Is that a correct assumption?

Also, what exactly does the mod do to these speakers? Is this something that I could benefit from?

Thanks!
Old 22nd April 2013
Lives for gear

Do the new HS8s do anything to reduce the well known hiss of the HS80s? I would upgrade if I got same/better quality audio as my HS80s but with no hiss.

..ant
Old 22nd April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Big question mark on this new series. If you can hold off until people are receiving them, I would.
Old 22nd April 2013
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Nobody knows on the street yet anyhow, maybe late May we would know unless you can get somebody from Yamaha to chime in and report what they heard after these changes.

War
Old 21st May 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Any update on these?
Old 28th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseber ➑️
Any update on these?
Bump. Interested in picking up a new pair myself, anyone managed to get their hands on the new HS8's yet?
Old 28th May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Have a pair waiting for me at the post office, but can only have a listen to them later this week. Fingers crossed
Old 29th May 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Let us know!
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What i found in my many years of buying gear is that new products that cost the same as the previous model rarely are much different and sometimes even worse.Companies have to shake things up once in awhile or they get dated.They switch a few things around,call it new and lots of people swear that its better for the first few months and then some start to say the older ones sound better..more je ne sais quoi..now the modding starts..still no go so you sell them and buy a more expensive pair.
I like my HS-80's and if i upgrade them,it won't be for another pair of HS-8-80's..
$250 is a good buy.
Old 29th May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
So, had a quick listen to my new HS8's. Not sure how much useful information I can provide, but first impressions are very good. I have used various Genelecs, Mackie HR824's and Equator D5's and can say that there isn't anything that seems annoyingly hyped with the HS8's. The bass indeed is deep, pleasant and equal, very glad over the full range that these speakers provide. The stereo image was surprisingly good, having just tested the Equator D5, which were slightly superior in that regard. As I haven't heard the hs80m's, I can't provide the information on how it compares to the new model, which most of you are mainly interested in. But currently I am happy with the purchase and will A/B them later with the older models when I have a chance. No obvious faults with the build, seems solid. Also, they are very loud. Still waiting for my stands, so my first listen was done in a very unoptimised situation, yet still yielded some satisfying sound characteristics.
Old 30th May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
HS8 vs HS80

Hey guys! First of all, thanks for all your info! This site helped me a lot over the years and I think is time for me to pinch in with some personal opinions.

Today the HS8s have arrived in my store and I finally had the chance to listen and compare them with the old series. After a long and in-depth side-by-side testing, I came up with the following conclusions:

- the differences are barely noticeable, of course, and I think the HS8s are better sound-wise. They have a round, warmer and more calibrated bass and the highs are not as "spicy" as the HS80s. The mids are basically the same, the reproduction of instruments alone is as good and precise as before. But I noticed something rather strange when I let one HS8 on the left channel and one HS80 on the right channel run without audio signal: the background hiss is still present on the HS8s, but not as much as on the old series. There is also a small ticking noise in the tweeter of the HS8. For me it's a mystery because I connected both the HS8 and the HS80 in the same power outlet and even switched the channels, cables and I still didn't get rid of the noise. I didn't have this noise on any other studio monitors before, not even on Behringers!! I certainly hope that it's a problem with the electrical wiring and not with the HS8 itself or it's power supply and I'll do a test again, when I'll have the time, in a different room and compare the results.

- I also have a unpleasant surprise on the back of the HS8: the sound settings now include only room control (0db, -2db and -4db) and high trim (+2db, 0db, -2db). The rest (mid eq and low cut) are gone! So you'll need additional equipments or software if you want to deeply personalize the sound according to your room acoustics. Despite these, the level control, the input connectors (XLR and TRS), the bass port, and radiator are the same, so Yamaha probably used the same type of amps as before.

- construction-wise, the HS8 is still rugged as before, it has the same wood casing design and the same overall size as HS80 but there is a small difference in weight: HS8 has 12.5 kb and HS80 has 13.2kg. This difference backs up the theory of redesigned speakers. I don't know if you'll notice but in the rear panel photo you can see through the bass port that the HS8 has a different tweeter. (sorry for the bad quality photos btw).

- the prices are almost the same, HS8 costs 288.62 euro and HS80 costs 282.84 at the biggest professional audio equipment distributor from Romania.

If you ask me what I would buy right now, I'll tell you honestly that I'll prefer the HS80. Why? Mainly because HS80 have plenty of sound settings, I know them for many years, I sold plenty and they still are the best sellers in my store. I also tested them in many studios and even worked with them in some projects like producing electronic music and mastering instrumental soundtracks for movies. But who knows? I might change my taste some day...
As I said earlier I'll do more tests soon and I'll get some personal opinions from customers and friends and post them here.

All the best!
Cheers!
Old 30th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by traianv ➑️
Hey guys! First of all, thanks for all your info! This site helped me a lot over the years and I think is time for me to pinch in with some personal opinions.

Today the HS8s have arrived in my store and I finally had the chance to listen and compare them with the old series. After a long and in-depth side-by-side testing, I came up with the following conclusions:

- the differences are barely noticeable, of course, and I think the HS8s are better sound-wise. They have a round, warmer and more calibrated bass and the highs are not as "spicy" as the HS80s. The mids are basically the same, the reproduction of instruments alone is as good and precise as before. But I noticed something rather strange when I let one HS8 on the left channel and one HS80 on the right channel run without audio signal: the background hiss is still present on the HS8s, but not as much as on the old series. There is also a small ticking noise in the tweeter of the HS8. For me it's a mystery because I connected both the HS8 and the HS80 in the same power outlet and even switched the channels, cables and I still didn't get rid of the noise. I didn't have this noise on any other studio monitors before, not even on Behringers!! I certainly hope that it's a problem with the electrical wiring and not with the HS8 itself or it's power supply and I'll do a test again, when I'll have the time, in a different room and compare the results.

- I also have a unpleasant surprise on the back of the HS8: the sound settings now include only room control (0db, -2db and -4db) and high trim (+2db, 0db, -2db). The rest (mid eq and low cut) are gone! So you'll need additional equipments or software if you want to deeply personalize the sound according to your room acoustics. Despite these, the level control, the input connectors (XLR and TRS), the bass port, and radiator are the same, so Yamaha probably used the same type of amps as before.

- construction-wise, the HS8 is still rugged as before, it has the same wood casing design and the same overall size as HS80 but there is a small difference in weight: HS8 has 12.5 kb and HS80 has 13.2kg. This difference backs up the theory of redesigned speakers. I don't know if you'll notice but in the rear panel photo you can see through the bass port that the HS8 has a different tweeter. (sorry for the bad quality photos btw).

- the prices are almost the same, HS8 costs 288.62 euro and HS80 costs 282.84 at the biggest professional audio equipment distributor from Romania.

If you ask me what I would buy right now, I'll tell you honestly that I'll prefer the HS80. Why? Mainly because HS80 have plenty of sound settings, I know them for many years, I sold plenty and they still are the best sellers in my store. I also tested them in many studios and even worked with them in some projects like producing electronic music and mastering instrumental soundtracks for movies. But who knows? I might change my taste some day...
As I said earlier I'll do more tests soon and I'll get some personal opinions from customers and friends and post them here.

All the best!
Cheers!
Thanks for that!! Maybe the old HS80 will become the new NS10.
Old 2nd June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi everyone! First post here! Really interesting to read about your first impressions of the hs8 even though I would like to know more!! I'm going to buy a pair of monitors next week and I can't decide whether I should go for the older ones or a bit more bravely try the new hs8?

I'm having the monitors in my livingroom (about 5m x 3,5 m of size). I'm not going to have any basstraps or similar and it's quite located in a corner. Could it be that it's not necessary having such big monitors, would the hs5 or hs50m be as good? Maybe the new hs7? Something else to think about?

I'm gonna mix mostly electronic music with some focus on bass. I don't know if this information is sufficient, cause I'm quite the noob, but would appreciate any kind of advice! Thank you!

Best regards,
Emil
Old 3rd June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The HS7 is a worthy compromise, if you have a place to try them out, that would be perfect. My HS8's are in a room with similar dimensions and it is more than enough. Loving the bass, yet HS7 would have been enough I think and perhaps would have saved some space. It all depends whether you are production-wise comfortable with the slightly narrower LF range of a 6.5" woofer. Try them out, that is the key.
Old 3rd June 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointFloat ➑️
The HS7 is a worthy compromise, if you have a place to try them out, that would be perfect. My HS8's are in a room with similar dimensions and it is more than enough. Loving the bass, yet HS7 would have been enough I think and perhaps would have saved some space. It all depends whether you are production-wise comfortable with the slightly narrower LF range of a 6.5" woofer. Try them out, that is the key.
I think I will go and listem to them all this week (hs80m, hs8 and hs7) to hear if I can notice some differences. I bought a quite big desk for the purpose of fitting the hs8 so I think that'll be ok ... And I do also plan to mix quite bass-dependent tracks so I guess for that purpose I should go for the Hs8? I've also heard that those are having noticeably better bass than the hs80m. But who knows, I might not hear any difference at all :P

Anyway, thanks for you info! I'm gonna try and listen to them all.

Btw, I was planning to use them with a Forte or duet 2, is there something specifically I should think of when buying cables? Balanced I suppose... but in what price range should I go, and do more expansive cables really matter?
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikander ➑️
Hi everyone! First post here! Really interesting to read about your first impressions of the hs8 even though I would like to know more!! I'm going to buy a pair of monitors next week and I can't decide whether I should go for the older ones or a bit more bravely try the new hs8?

I'm having the monitors in my livingroom (about 5m x 3,5 m of size). I'm not going to have any basstraps or similar and it's quite located in a corner. Could it be that it's not necessary having such big monitors, would the hs5 or hs50m be as good? Maybe the new hs7? Something else to think about?

I'm gonna mix mostly electronic music with some focus on bass. I don't know if this information is sufficient, cause I'm quite the noob, but would appreciate any kind of advice! Thank you!

Best regards,
Emil
I have heard the HS7 and the HS80 and theres a big difference in the bass you migh need a subwoofer for the HS7, the guy at 4sound (denmark) said you don't need a subwoofer for the 8" version, theres alot of power,punch with the 8" version.

The HS5 and the new subwoofer vs HS80 i might choose the HS5 and subwoofer, this new subwoofer is surpose to go down to 22 hz

The HS7 or HS80 i would choose the HS80 because of the bass

The HS8 vs HS80 i wil take the HS8 even when it seems to be the same amplifier, theres a new tweeter (30khz) new woofer,new cabinet and port design that's surpose to give about 6 db less noise(port)+
, at 4sound (denmark) theres a discount on the HS80 an they are each about 40 euros cheaper the the HS8.

Just remember that the HS80M is about 7 years old (2006 is the oldest review i have seen of the now old HS series), the HS series is an old model and it would be strange if they couldn't make i better in this periode of about 7 years
Old 3rd June 2013
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Just as an update, the HS5 and HS7 arrive this week along with the HS8S sub. I will report back what we find on those, unfortunately the 8" HS8 got pushed back a month or so before arrival.

War
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolin ➑️
The HS5 and the new subwoofer vs HS80 i might choose the HS5 and subwoofer, this new subwoofer is surpose to go down to 22 hz
Listened to Hs80m quite a lot, later Hs50m and also got to try Hs5 at the same time once. I bought the Yamaha Hs5 and I'm looking forward to listen to it some more and then order one Hs8s and a little later another one. (Maybe I'll buy Hs8 to my livingroom later...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by traianv ➑️
Very interesting, thanks for shareing this with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
Just as an update, the HS5 and HS7 arrive this week along with the HS8S sub.
Sounds great! Tuned in
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'd love to see a comparison of the HS-50 and the HS-5. I love my HS-50's.

WAR, have ye experimented with stuffing the ports on the HS series? I've wanted to try it, but I'm sceptical about effects on amp.
Old 5th June 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz Noise ➑️
I'd love to see a comparison of the HS-50 and the HS-5. I love my HS-50's.

WAR, have ye experimented with stuffing the ports on the HS series? I've wanted to try it, but I'm sceptical about effects on amp.
Theres definitely a size difference (maby 1" taller) so in the bass there should be a little difference.

I think you wil notice a difference if there is one, by using it at home with music you like and know, not just 30 min in a store.
πŸ“ Reply