The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recommendation on what to buy. Yamaha HS80m's or the new HS8 monitor.
Old 12th September 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKBoT ➑️
Before throwing more money at monitors you should consider a few things.

If you buy a sub or upgrade to bigger monitors make sure you treat your room properly with bass traps etc... and that costs more money unfortunately..

If you like the sound of Adam then the A77X's or even EVE SC208's would definately help you with sub frequency decisions :-)

An Adam sub could work better as you have the option of moving the sub around until you have an near optimum frequency response but all depends on the size of you room + treatment.

A cheap option would be the Adam SubF.

Some produces get along with a pair of Adam A7X's and a good pair of headphones to sort out the Sub frequency's.

Hope this helps :-)
Hi TeKBoT!

Thanks for all the good points!

Im in the process of completing my studio with bass traps etc... as I understand thats an extremely important part. I was also thinking about the A77x's, and will now also look at the EVE's. Guess its time for another visit to some stores to listen to monitors again ;-)

Great forum this!
Old 12th September 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Oh yes, if you do not have bass traps in the corners I would think that should be the first thing you upgrade before getting new monitors or a sub. Maybe even put a cloud as well (a absorption panel above the mixing spot). I personally can't recommend anything else since I have no experience with any of those in question :P
Old 17th September 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Any new updates on the HS8 vs HS80M for mixing?
Old 17th September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_jr ➑️
Just saw this auction for a pair of HS80m's and thought I'd share. The guy's picture gave me a good laugh.

Recommendation on what to buy. Yamaha HS80m's or the new HS8 monitor.Yamaha HS80M Pair | eBay

Off topic...but worth it in this case I think.
HAHAHA! He relisted them at $100 MORE!
Recommendation on what to buy. Yamaha HS80m's or the new HS8 monitor.Yamaha HS80M Pair | eBay

For $250 that was a great deal, but no one jumped on them.
But from the picture, people probably think he played them at max volume and abused them.

EDIT: I see the first listing he removed from a listing error, probably meant to put $300, not $200.

Anyways....SonicSense, I just wanted to thank you for the comparisons you guys do! Keep up the good work! That info helps greatly! Much appreciated!
Old 4th October 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Anyone got any updates on the HS8 vs HS80M?
I would really like to know which one is better for mixing?
I have seen a comparing video, but the settings on the back panel were all set to 0, but what if the settings were changed to try and achieve the flattest response, would the HS80M then be better than the HS8?

Besides a flatter frequency response, are there any other annoyances/issues either has, such as hisses or anything? (I know the HS80M hisses, and the HS8 does too, but a little quieter)
Old 7th October 2013
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am also interested in hearing new comments. I am debating between all three models. I can live with less bass, actually I would prefer less bass because of neighbours, but I want to choose the hs model that has the best or preferred frequency response in the mids and highs. I am mostly interested in the HS7, but if HS8 has better mids or sound generally better, then I may consider them. Anyway, this is problematic, because I would not want big monitors anymore.

Especially comments about the bass response of well burn-in HS7 are welcome. There are very mixed comments about that. Some say that the bass is nearly the same as HS5, and only HS8 can provide better bass response? I had MSP7s for a few weeks and regret selling them. Their bass response was enough for my needs, and according to the specifications, the -10 dB point is almost the same as of HS7.
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
From the research I have done, it seems the HS8 is best. The MSP is supposed to be better, but not sure how it stacks up against the newer HS8. I originally heard that the MSP is better than all HS models, but then when I look up reviews for the MSP7 and MSP10 I hear bad reviews on them (I forgot the exact negatives, but you can check for yourself) so I got a little confused their. I guess the MSP is supposed to be better than the HS, but I guess the MSP is not the best choice vs "higher" end monitors???

I have been looking around and it does seem the HS8 is improved over the H80M. Besides the less freq controls on the back, owners who upgraded to the HS8 are impressed. I also hear everyone say the HS8 is much better than the HS7. HS8 is supposed to be more revealing in the mids and highs. Low end does go a bit lower than the HS80M.

If I had to choose, I would get the HS8. MSP I am still unsure of because of mentioned above, and I haven't seen them lately selling for cheap.
But you say you don't want large monitors anymore so I don't know about that part. I guess if you want the better sound, you need to get the bigger HS8. If you can get the MSP7 you were happy with again, then that might be what suits you best.

HS5 and a sub might be good, but not sure if it is better than just having HS8's. I would still go with the HS8 though. Especially since you are concerned about the bass with neighbors.

So for me, HS8!
Old 12th October 2013
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I went to a local gear store today to test monitors. They had HS5 and MSP5 to test in a "treated room". The layout was not ideal, because the desk was in the middle of the room. They did not have HS7 or HS8. I demoed the speakers mainly by listening to John Digweed's Transitions sets from mixcloud. This was my first time hearing the HS series, and I was expecting a little bit of harsh sound, but I was wrong. The HS5 is a bright sounding monitor, much brighter than MSP5, but not harsh. MSP5 sounds more natural, real life like. Tonally, I could live with either one. I want bright monitors because I need to use low levels. The only downside was that the HS5 was lacking bass in that room. The difference was quite clear between the MSP5 and HS5. The MSP5 with front ports was able to produce bass that I could hear the tone of the kicks and basslines. I was a little bit suprised by that. Maybe due to the back port of the HS5, and that the desk and monitors were in the middle of the room, the HS5 was not able to produce the oomphs of the bass notes, and sometimes it was unclear whether the bassline was fully on or not. So, I am asking: Does somebody have experience with HS50 / HS5 and MSP5, which one should go lower in similar conditions, when set properly in a room, not in the middle of the room? I almost picked up a pair of HS5's, but did not because of the lack of bass when demoing. Another reason to not pick them up was that I got offered the MSP5's for 200 eur vs. 165 eur for the HS5 (both prices per monitor, both new).
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
HS 5's are great as second monitors to hear the mid freq's detailed. Add the sub woofer and they could be your main monitors. HS 8 have more bass of course but the mids are not out in front like the 5's.
Old 16th November 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I don't care which ones sound better, I simply want to know which have the flattest frequency response and best represent the true sound of what you've recorded.
Old 27th November 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The HS8 is definitely an upgrade.

Recommendation on what to buy. Yamaha HS80m's or the new HS8 monitor.-hs80m-matlab-frequency-response.jpg
Recommendation on what to buy. Yamaha HS80m's or the new HS8 monitor.-hs8_freq.jpg
Old 27th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
bah probably no difference.

the only thing different on the site the hs80M are magnetically shielded and the hs8 isn't

I don't rely on response graphs because my control room is not an anechoic chamber.
Old 27th November 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm really interested in this topic since I love the sound of yamaha hs80s. Never listened to new HS series but by reading this forum its seems that the difference is not that much noticeable. Today I traded my M-audio BX5 D2 and M-Audio AV40 with a pair of HS80m that was used about 6 or maybe 7 years, but really well treated. I've bought'em from a friend which left the country and is about to sell all his studio stuffs and he offered me great discount. I listened to them before buying, they sound amazing, absolutely no distorted frequencies in bass and trebles. The thing that just made me curious is if the monitors frequency response gets changed after working for years? For instance they may sound less treble, more mid ranged or something like this? I'm also want to use them in a 3m x 4m room, are them too big for this room? Could the new HS7 be a better option regarding to the room size?
Old 28th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you might need to do the tissue paper trick with hi trim set at -2. A freind of mine that I master his tracks use his in a small room. When I run it across my desk I have to boost back what he cut when he mixed it. he brought his drive over and I opened up his project and let him hear how his mix was translating on the 4312's and the 4722+4718's
Old 28th November 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks, using a tissue paper would be good, but here I don't hear any harsh trebles. I have actually very smooth sound. I just don't know what do the monitors behave normally after working for years. Is this sound that I'm hearing now (which is great) the exact sound of what they had when they were new? That's my question
Old 11th December 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Spanky ➑️
Thanks for that!! Maybe the old HS80 will become the new NS10.
Hahaha please let me know if they do
Old 11th December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hs8 is the improved version of the hs80. These monitors once broken in provide translation above their price point IMO ymmv in your room. My room treatment is very good and even before the room treatment I was surprised how well mixed translated from car to iphone to stream back to clubs. Great monitor for the $
Old 11th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB ➑️
Hs8 is the improved version of the hs80.
Imho not improvement enough that would justify, already having the hs80, buying either the hs7 or hs8, rather save for something better later like Focal Alpha or Presonus Sceptre.
Old 20th January 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by traianv ➑️
Hey guys! First of all, thanks for all your info! This site helped me a lot over the years and I think is time for me to pinch in with some personal opinions.....
Thanks for all of the info - I just pulled the trigger on a set of HS8s, but your overview and others in the thread were extremely helpful! Looking forward to breaking them in.
Old 23rd January 2016 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtechno ➑️
you might need to do the tissue paper trick with hi trim set at -2. A freind of mine that I master his tracks use his in a small room. When I run it across my desk I have to boost back what he cut when he mixed it. he brought his drive over and I opened up his project and let him hear how his mix was translating on the 4312's and the 4722+4718's
This is the truth.

But there are some problems with tissue paper trick:

Bob Hodas - Educational Resources

And the other (better) solution:

Resistor Options

If you really need to go close to NS-10M Studio:
I found really good tip how to set the HS80 in my room:

Mid boost +2db
Room Control- -2db
High Cut -2db

And still high's are bit too much.
So two resistors can solve the problem on tweeter for a 1db less.

Just my 0.2 cent's
Old 9th March 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I just got the HS8W (W is in white). My desk is white and looks great. Loving them so far! I previously had the HS80M and after a while I added the sub. So far I'm not feeling the need for a sub with the HS8W, but my current room is also smaller than the previous one.
Old 12th September 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by traianv ➑️
There is also a small ticking noise in the tweeter of the HS8. For me it's a mystery because I connected both the HS8 and the HS80 in the same power outlet and even switched the channels, cables and I still didn't get rid of the noise. I didn't have this noise on any other studio monitors before, not even on Behringers!!
Hey man, I know this is a dated post, but the 'ticking' is happening to me too (somehow I recalled this older post here!). Did you ever figure out what it was?
Thanks
Old 9th February 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagastif ➑️
Hey man, I know this is a dated post, but the 'ticking' is happening to me too (somehow I recalled this older post here!). Did you ever figure out what it was?
Thanks
Bump
πŸ“ Reply