Gearspace.com

Gearspace.com (https://gearspace.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://gearspace.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   So, What's Enya did with her songs? need info (https://gearspace.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/82722-so-whats-enya-did-her-songs-need-info.html)

dsstudio 24th August 2006 10:44 AM

So, What's Enya did with her songs? need info

I really love the Vocals and backing vocal, also the choir [fake] playing as Pads.
So, anybody know her story? I think she used vocoder? if so, which one? and the more info, the better please.
Somebody challenge me to make such backing vocal, so I think you guys can help me.
The sound library "Symphony of voices"- people said it has "enya pad" but I don't see it as good, the choir seems to move very nice, not dead as the library.
And all the vox also very breathy but yet so warm.
Best regards
Sonny

toolstudio 24th August 2006 11:08 AM

I don't think it's a vocoder or harmonizer.

I think it's all doubled ........... at least :-)

wolfgang

thethrillfactor 24th August 2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toolstudio (Post 850595)
I don't think it's a vocoder or harmonizer.

I think it's all doubled ........... at least :-)

wolfgang

Actually its more like 100-500 layered vocal tracks submixed and processed.

dsstudio 24th August 2006 12:01 PM

Really? I recently try some vocoder and I can have similar result, so i was assume she used vocoder. Let alone the lead vocal [which I am sure is also a dubbled] the background I think is a vocoder because the time ming was so perfect and in tune. So if you say, 100-500 layered, how? can you explain? you just can't sing 100-500 times, as we all know, if we have 1 track, we copy it and process it, the sound will never good no matter what you edit with it
Sonny

thethrillfactor 24th August 2006 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsstudio (Post 850625)
Really? I recently try some vocoder and I can have similar result, so i was assume she used vocoder. Let alone the lead vocal [which I am sure is also a dubbled] the background I think is a vocoder because the time ming was so perfect and in tune. So if you say, 100-500 layered, how? can you explain? you just can't sing 100-500 times, as we all know, if we have 1 track, we copy it and process it, the sound will never good no matter what you edit with it
Sonny

Nicky Ryan talked about it years ago.

They layered vocals in groups of 32-40, submixed them with effects down to two and then layered another again and again and again.

And yes she did sing it 100-500 times.

It can be done and is done at times.

uncle duncan 24th August 2006 12:49 PM

Those are your bread and butter clients. "Don't you think we should double that? ONE HUNDRED TIMES!"

The best thing about layering female vocals is the unlayering of clothing that accompanies the process.

(Now I gotta change my screen name to oinkle duncan.)

SnakeCained 24th August 2006 02:29 PM

Lexicon infinte hall fed into Lexicon infinte hall fed into lexicon infinite hall etc

Repeat untill happy!

She likes Lexicon reverb.......

max cooper 24th August 2006 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thethrillfactor (Post 850609)
Actually its more like 100-500 layered vocal tracks submixed and processed.

I think Tubular Bells was done kind of the same way.

thethrillfactor 24th August 2006 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max cooper (Post 850856)
I think Tubular Bells was done kind of the same way.

Lots of the old classics were.

Ask our guest moderator for some examples.jkthtyrt

Soulbrother 24th August 2006 04:47 PM

Why on earth would you want to know

what that awful woman uses on her syrupy soupy shit recordings.

I could make more soulful records with an acoustic guitar and a dictaphone.

No, really.

FalconerHK 24th August 2006 04:58 PM

That awful woman has sold over 10 million (or is it closer to 30 million) records chock full of that syrupy shit. She's doing something right. Whether you like her music or not isn't the point - an objective listen to her material reveals that a huge amount of work went into the recording and production.

Did she pee pee in your corn flakes or something? Why the hate?

FalconerHK 24th August 2006 05:02 PM

And last I checked, "acoustic guitar dictaphone soul music" hasn't traditionally been a big seller. Good luck with that.

mezed

thethrillfactor 24th August 2006 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconerHK (Post 850924)
That awful woman has sold over 10 million (or is it closer to 30 million) records chock full of that syrupy shit. She's doing something right. Whether you like her music or not isn't the point - an objective listen to her material reveals that a huge amount of work went into the recording and production.

Did she pee pee in your corn flakes or something? Why the hate?

Try 65 million.

firby 24th August 2006 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulbrother (Post 850907)
what that awful woman uses on her syrupy soupy shit recordings.

I could make more soulful records with an acoustic guitar and a dictaphone.

No, really.

Enya is not a soul artist. She is a PAID artist.

While you are rocking the dictaphone she is in a spa somewhere with avocados on her eyes. She is dreaming about the latest syrupy soupy shit that she is going to drop on the world.

Hey. That's showbizz.

dubrichie 24th August 2006 06:38 PM

argh!

enya!

i used to live across the road from her manager, or was it her producer, or is he both? i forget.

anyway.

so what's enya did with her songs?

make an horrendous amount of money!

oi enya luv! spare change for a hostel?!

it's kinda takin the piss. i live about half way between her manager's gaf and bono's and i can't afford to upgrade my bleedin octopre!

and they're only about a mile apart.

regards,

richie.

esteso 24th August 2006 06:53 PM

Enya is great! Full of soul, musicianship, hummable melodies, great production. I used to hate her. (I think the pure popp-i-ness of it all) Then I got over that bias and just listened, minus the jaded, world weary - been trying to make it for too long - I could do better than this - I'm an artist - and what is this crap they call music stance.

I like it

Killahurts 24th August 2006 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thethrillfactor (Post 851014)
Try 65 million.

Thrill, I think that figure was from like 3-4 years ago, before the Lord of the Rings stuff...

She's one of the biggest selling artists of all time.

We do vocal productions similar to Enya's. There is only one way to do it right- Record every vocal, one at a time, with as many takes as necessary to get each voice just right. Then the mixing/submixing, EQing, processing, etc...

This kind of production is technically hard to do and takes a long time.

The vocoder sound is really a result of all those voices (same voice), and the harmonics and phase cancelations that result.

max cooper 24th August 2006 07:51 PM

Not a big Enya fan myself, but why do these threads de-volve into how much the music does or doesn't su*k?

Who cares?

If someone's interested in how it was done, cool. Maybe they're doing totally different music anyway, but they hear a technique they could use.

There's plenty of production stuff to be learned from all kinds of music you might not listen to for pleasure.

Dave Peck 25th August 2006 12:18 AM

I thought this was even better:

"While you are rocking the dictaphone she is in a spa somewhere with avocados on her eyes."

DP

dsstudio 25th August 2006 12:48 AM

Soulbrother
you call her cds is a "shitty recording" ?
Show me yours!
It's a matter of taste
To me, a succesful artist is the one who can make lots of money from their music. We all do music for what? for love? or for pleasure?
If 100% is your pleasure, don't complain people don't come to you.
Beside, Enya have a style of her own, don't mix up with anybody else, I say it's a most valuable in business.
I myself don't like Yanni at all, but I really respect him for being a very succesful business man
If you are pro, music is business, some people I know really talented, they are willing to lower their skill/standard to satisfy their customer...so the same could be apply to other "sucessful artist", they might can do incredible thing but they simply don't want to.
So Soulbrother, no matter how good is your music, I don't think you are a "succesful artist", think about it.
Sonny

dsstudio 25th August 2006 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killahurts (Post 851149)
We do vocal productions similar to Enya's. There is only one way to do it right- Record every vocal, one at a time, with as many takes as necessary to get each voice just right. Then the mixing/submixing, EQing, processing, etc...

This kind of production is technically hard to do and takes a long time.

The vocoder sound is really a result of all those voices (same voice), and the harmonics and phase cancelations that result.

This is an answer I am looking for, thanks Man! and all other for trying to the response too.

centurymantra 25th August 2006 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firby (Post 851045)
While you are rocking the dictaphone she is in a spa somewhere with avocados on her eyes.

That is #[email protected]!& great! Couldn't have said it better...

kfhkh heh kfhkh

Doesn't mean I like Enya's music though....100 vocal layers!? mezed

soupking 25th August 2006 07:57 PM

All up Enya

YARRR!

Curses the watery tart been losing me sleep for weeks!

I'd Better me be taggin a post on Gearslutz.com

Yarrrrr!gruudge

dbbubba 25th August 2006 09:23 PM

She needs to be tracked a hundred times!

She isn't an "artist!"
She is just the wife or girlfriend of that producer/manager guy.
He needed someone to sing the insipid melodies and since it is not at all difficult to sing that stuff she was handy, I guess.

My sister, my daughter, the girl working in the next room from me could sing that stuff!

That stuff falls into the catagory of material that is all image and ZERO content.

The question for me is not how did they record it technically, but how did they record it without getting bored to death in the process. Can you imagine tracking 100 tracks of those boring melodies?

Sail away sail away sail away

Danny Brown

Reptil 25th August 2006 09:59 PM

Héhé glad that mess is cleared up.
Ok, I WAS going to ask, if that also was Enya on the soundtrack of "Robin Hood". The tv series from the early eightties. (Not the hollywood spectacle.)
Now was it? Yes it was. In fact it was Clannad. LOL

FYI a snippet I found somewhere:
Quote:

cluricaune "cluricaune" (Co. Armagh, N. Ireland)
Clannad are a family band made up of three siblings (the Brennans) and their two uncles (the Duggans). They grew up in Gaoth Dobhair, the Gaelteacht area of County Donegal that is also home to Altan. Enya, a sister, is also a former member - she featured on the band's 1982 release, "Fuaim".

"Legend" is the soundtrack to an old television series called "Robin of Sherwood", and it led to a BAFTA for the group. The show, which ran for three seasons, was based on the legends of Robin Hood and was first broadcast in 1984. (The album was forst released that same year). Michael Praed played Robin for the first two seasons, before moving to America to take a role in "Dynasty". (He also appeared on the slbum's original cover). Jason Connery, son of a well-known 007, took over the role for the third season. A fresh-faced Ray Winstone appeared as Will Scarlet, though it was Judi "Maid Marion" Trott that had me tuning in every week....

"Legend" is less traditional than much of Clannad's previous work - there's a greater use of 'modern' instruments and there are definite moves towards a more 'new age' sound. Although there isn't a great deal of singing on the album, this was the band's first release not to feature any vocals in Irish. Including a remix of "Together We", there are eleven tracks on the album. Most of them are around three minutes long - the exceptions being the remix of "Together We" and "Scarlet Inside" (both just over five minutes long) and "Battles" (which just makes it past the minute mark). Despite being so short, "Battles" is - for me - one of the better songs on the album - although the guitar features, the songs' focus is really on the percussion.

Aptly enough, given that Maid Marion was (ahem) my favourite character in the show, "Lady Marion" is my favourite track on the album. It's the closest in sound to a trad tune, a beautiful track featuring the harp and register. Two of the other tracks dedicated to individual characters also deserve special mentions. "Herne" is a great track, very gentle and relaxing. "Robin (The Hooded Man)", which served as the show's theme tune, is a little more acoustic and upbeat. Meanwhile, "Ancient Forest" and "Strange Land" both feature very enjoyable vocal performances.

The 'Cantoma Mix' of "Together We" stands apart from the rest of the album - it's entirely different to the original version of the song and it feels a little strange hearing something like this on a Clannad album. It is, however, very pleasant and relaxing (it's a gentle dance-type remix) and - of the song's two versions - this is the one I actually prefer.

I loved the album when it was first released and - although nostalgia may play a little part - I've been listening to it pretty often since I picked up this re-mastered version. Recommended.
I agree. (exept for the remix, that is) Shivers me timber. HARRR

theblotted 26th August 2006 12:09 AM

i really dig the song "Saltwater" by Chicane, who sampled/remixed one of Clannad's tracks (the name slips my mind tho).

i remember my high school physics teacher would used to play Enya on the classroom speakers for hours on end, even during test times... strange, but true.

doug_hti 26th August 2006 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbbubba (Post 852570)
She needs to be tracked a hundred times!

She isn't an "artist!"
She is just the wife or girlfriend of that producer/manager guy.
He needed someone to sing the insipid melodies and since it is not at all difficult to sing that stuff she was handy, I guess.

Danny Brown

OH!!! okay

that must be it...i think you cracked the case!!

creegstor 26th August 2006 03:34 AM

It still boggles my mind that Enya has been so commercially successful when her siblings in Clannad are so much more talented and have made some of the most timeless recordings ever committed to tape. She really is the half dead runt of the family litter. Who knows, maybe she was adopted!

My advice would be to get out a Clannad recording and try learning something from that instead.

robd 26th August 2006 05:55 AM

As much as I loathe enya's music, the poster who sayas she isn't an artist is misinformed. The very (very) early clannad stuff is perfectly good music, and definitley demonstrates that she is a musician. As someone who plays a lot of irish trad music myself, i really can't stand her music, though. I play a lot of styles of trad music, and a lot of them, like scandinavian, bulgarian, turkish, etc., can be very successfully "modernized" with electric/electronic instruments and modern production techniques, but every single attemt I have ever heard to do this to irish music has sounded like complete and utter shit.

gavriloP 26th August 2006 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reptil (Post 852643)
Héhé glad that mess is cleared up.
Ok, I WAS going to ask, if that also was Enya on the soundtrack of "Robin Hood". The tv series from the early eightties. (Not the hollywood spectacle.)
Now was it? Yes it was. In fact it was Clannad. LOL

No, only Maire Brennan was singing on that album, Enya had left Clannad earlier.