Quantcast
ProAc Studio I Mk.ii needs an amp! Throw in your 5¢! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ProAc Studio I Mk.ii needs an amp! Throw in your 5¢!
View Poll Results: What do you think is the best amp for my new ProAc monitors?
Yamaha p2201
0 Votes - 0%
Inter M R300
0 Votes - 0%
Arcam P38
0 Votes - 0%
Harman/Kardon HK 990
0 Votes - 0%
ADCOM GFA-555 II
1 Votes - 25.00%
Older Audio Research SA-2000
0 Votes - 0%
A QSC
0 Votes - 0%
A Crown
1 Votes - 25.00%
Other!
2 Votes - 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th February 2013
ProAc Studio I Mk.ii needs an amp! Throw in your 5¢!

Hi! Thanks for dropping by!

I came across a pair of used ProAc Studio 1 mkii's on Craigslist and jumped at them after hearing how great they sounded at the last place I went for mastering. Mind you, he had the Studio 100s, but they're basically the same from what I've read. His room was also well tuned, and had both the Woofer and Tweeter powered separately, something I'd like to do in the future. Now I just need a good amp! I'm looking to mix on these, and have already changed the game even with an old Kenwood receiver!

I've read quite a bit about different amps, but I'm limited to what I can afford, so what's in my local CG listings. There was a Bryston amp, but it's gone now. I'm aiming for higher wattage (at least 100w/ch) Currently my options are:

Yamaha p2201
Inter M R300
Arcam P38
Harman/Kardon HK 990
ADCOM GFA-555 II
Older Audio Research SA-2000
Some QSCs
Some Crowns

For whatever reason, the Arcam seems the most intriguing, but I haven't heard them, nor will I be able to test any of these in my room before I buy. Just gotta take a chance after I research what I can, and go for it! Please give me all your love and hate about these amps. Thanks slutz!

Last edited by ~RW~BootyStackr; 14th February 2013 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: No room can be perfectly tuned!
Old 14th February 2013
It would be nice if you could at least read my post before trying to sell me something. Thanks!!!
Old 14th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~RW~BootyStackr ➡️
It would be nice if you could at least read my post before trying to sell me something. Thanks!!!
Sorry for not staying more precisely on topic of your post.
Brad
Old 14th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
MC2 Audio aka Quested Audio
Old 14th February 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde ➡️
Sorry for not staying more precisely on topic of your post.
Brad
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. ➡️
MC2 Audio aka Quested Audio
Is what I wrote too long? Maybe no one has time to read the finer details... I'm trying save money, so something used that is available now or in the near future, like what I've listed above in the poll which i found on my local Craigslist. I'd appreciate feedback if anyone has had experience with any of those listed above!

Thanks!
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I bought 3 MC2s off ebay for between £100 and £350, one branded MC2, one Tannoy and one Quested. They can also come disguised as DynaudioAcoustics, Funktion One or Turbosound.

From the ones you listed I'd probably go for the Adcom and in North America you might be able to get an Emotiva.

Is that better?
Old 15th February 2013
Fabulous, thank you!
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bryston 4b or Adcom 555 but not series II! read up and you will see series 1 yum series 2 average!
Old 18th February 2013
I've seen a bit back and forth about the series I vs series II. Series I having a simpler layout and series II with several changes that may hold some of the sound back, but balances out the high end nicely. I certainly could do with less brightness from them. The series II is available now for $400. Tempting!
📝 Reply