Quantcast
Building My First DIY 1176 "Blue Stripe" Rev A Clone - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Building My First DIY 1176 "Blue Stripe" Rev A Clone
Old 31st January 2013
Building My First DIY 1176 "Blue Stripe" Rev A Clone

Hello folks, Ive just ordered most my parts and am very excited to finally start to build my DIY 1176 Rev A Compressor.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Anyone know the best output transformer available and why do you consider it to be the best?

Thanks in advance!
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
One advice: take your time !
Old 15th February 2013
Done!! This thing sounds amazing!!! Next is a mic mod and then a Pultec!
Attached Thumbnails
Building My First DIY 1176 "Blue Stripe" Rev A Clone-imageuploadedbygearslutz1360901576.064077.jpg  
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The Rev A is an awesome piece of DIY gear in terms of bang for buck. Dunno what mic mod you are doing but if you want a c12 or ela 251 style mic the apex 460 with a t14 transformer and tim campbell capsule is pretty easy and gives a very sweet end product. Ioaudio's U47 clone is awesome as well and beesneez capsules that mate well with it have dropped in price significantly.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
That didn't take long at all. I hear of people finishing theirs in a weekend. Is that realistic? How long did it take you, Micah?

(just started buying parts for mine this week!)
Old 27th February 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymenoptera ➑️
That didn't take long at all. I hear of people finishing theirs in a weekend. Is that realistic? How long did it take you, Micah?

(just started buying parts for mine this week!)
Yeah man, spend a Friday night organizing everything and spend a half day on a Sat and Sun and you should be on your way! Getting the power supply wired wired right was the biggest challenge. Make sure you have EVERYTHING you need, think ahead.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm excited to take on an 1176 for myself. As it stands I have one friend who has already asked me about assembling a pair of the Hairball 1176's for him, another friend wants one, and I want one (eventually a pair).

Good times!
Old 8th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah421 ➑️
Yeah man, spend a Friday night organizing everything and spend a half day on a Sat and Sun and you should be on your way! Getting the power supply wired wired right was the biggest challenge. Make sure you have EVERYTHING you need, think ahead.
Great to hear. This will be my first big DIY electronics project, and I'll have help, but I'm still a little intimidated by the complexity of it all. This seems like it will be so much more than just replacing a cap or a voltage regulator, which is about the extent of my electronics experience to date.

First box of parts came today
Old 1st April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I so gotta make me one of these. Still tossing up between the Rev A and the Rev D for my 1st. Also want to make a couple LA4's for synth processing as I've heard them work wonders with soft-synths!
πŸ“ Reply