Quantcast
What size studio monitor? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What size studio monitor?
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
What size studio monitor?

I've been wanting to buy monitors for quite some time now but upon reading a bunch of posts, I get mixed responses. Some say larger are better than smaller monitors, and vice versa. My main goal here is to create a mix with good bass, mids, highs.. like anyone would..

I have a medium sized room (not a box) and currently no room treatment although I will be getting room treatment. The room currently absorbs quite a bit of sound as there aren't so many reverberation problems in it.

1. Should I get a smaller sized pair, even though I would be lacking bass? and get room treatment right after?

2. Or should I get a larger sized pair and get room treatment a couple months later?

And other than answering my questions, I would like to know your opinion about this topic, just so I can get a general idea about it. I need a professional opinion about this and I know gearslutz is full of experienced people so please help. Thanks!
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Hey bro, your best bet is these or similar at this size: ROKIT 6 Studio Monitors Speaker KRK SYSTEMS
They are a perfect size for what you are looking for, a fair medium. Buy these and then soundproof like crazy. These monitors are very fairly priced and powered so an amp isn't needed. Later on you can buy the subwoofer and have rad set up
Old 31st January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
thanks for the recommendation ghosty. I heard the RP line and I the sound they produce sounds like there is a blanket covering the whole speaker. Would getting a VXT 4 be a better option? Do they sound the same as the RP line?

And are their any other alternatives to the krks but still above around 50khz on the audio spectrum?
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 10 years
What's most important is that your monitors are accurate and trustworthy.

A small well-made monitor would be much better than a large one which was not accurate.

You also need accurate bass and not just "lots of bass" as you need to know what you are doing.

Yes, room treatment is important, as has been said - but I would look at getting the most accurate and trustworthy monitor in your budget, rather than just looking at size for size's sake.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett โžก๏ธ
What's most important is that your monitors are accurate and trustworthy.

A small well-made monitor would be much better than a large one which was not accurate.

You also need accurate bass and not just "lots of bass" as you need to know what you are doing.

Yes, room treatment is important, as has been said - but I would look at getting the most accurate and trustworthy monitor in your budget, rather than just looking at size for size's sake.
This very good advice.

However....Personally I tend to like 8" or larger monitors. Smalller ones, not so much. I've monitored in small and medium sized rooms on 12" and 15" Tannoy monitor golds with no problems (and loved them), but for nearfields 8" seems to be a size that works for me. But as John has said...accuracy is more important than size.
๐Ÿ“ Reply