Auratone or Avantone...? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Auratone or Avantone...?
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Auratone or Avantone...?

Hey all,
Going to get some single driver small speakers ASAP.

I have a line on some really great condition Auratone 5c's.... Once I've got a suitable amp they'll be same ballpark price-wise as a pair of new active Avantones.

Obviously there are benefits of buying new compared to buying a long discontinued model....but purely sound-wise which would you go for?
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
You can picke up a Symatrix A220 stereo amp on ebay for $50. 20wpc and it should be more than enough for a pair of Auratones. I use one to drive my Stax earspeakers.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks....
Yes that was roughly what I was expecting to pay.

I guess the question still remains.... Irrespective of price, which would you choose to do the job best...?
If the Avantones actually do the Auratone 'thing' well, then buying new might make more sense....?
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
They both do the job, but in different tonalities. I didn't love either, so made my own. It turned out good and I will put my version on the market in a couple of weeks give or take under the name of littlepapercones. If you have ever loved anything about the dry, papery tone of NS10's you will love these.....and they are real wooden boxes, beautiful Sapele wood.....just another alternative if you can wait.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Gearslutz App
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Karloff
Sounds great....I'm in the UK though. What would availability be like in Europe?
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishbashbosh ➑️
Hi Karloff
Sounds great....I'm in the UK though. What would availability be like in Europe?
I'm in London too. Availabiity will be worldwide in any case. Keep an eye on the New Products section in a couple of weeks time.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Result...! :-)
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Cheapo amp will not be a good match even to lo-fi speakers, that's important to remember. I would recommend you to find good amp with more W that it is needed to keep distortion at minimum.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
I will put my version on the market in a couple of weeks give or take under the name of littlepapercones.
i say this is a great name!
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Avantone.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear
I got a pair of Avantone actives at a price too good the pass up. They sound awful. I guess that's the point? The thing is they sound worse than a car stereo but not a bad as a laptop...sort of a middle ground I guess?

They do a good job of pointing out those ugly 2-3K frequencies that seem to build up. I like to use them for that specifically. They've helped me mellow out my mixes without sound "dull"

If you go with the Auratones, look for a Adcom GFA-535. Cheap, clean amp.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i prefer the Auratones but i have the active Avantones at home and they do the job.
Old 27th February 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I'd pick the (passive) Auratones because using a great amp with them makes a huge difference. The amps in Avantones are tiny and cheap. Cheap amps will have you trying to fix problems that aren't really there.
Old 27th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyposonic ➑️
i prefer the Auratones but i have the active Avantones at home and they do the job.
Wait for the littlepapercones. They are like turbo-Auratones more than Avantones. Almost ready now.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➑️
Cheap amps will have you trying to fix problems that aren't really there.
Wisdom.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
Wait for the littlepapercones. They are like turbo-Auratones more than Avantones. Almost ready now.
Really interested!
Is there any info about the price, maybe some teasing pics?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmytro_ua ➑️
Really interested!
Is there any info about the price, maybe some teasing pics?
Very, very soon there will be and a thread to go with it to announce their arrival.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interested too!!!!
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Me INTERESTED!
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1!
Old 28th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'd pick the (passive) Auratones because using a great amp with them makes a huge difference. The amps in Avantones are tiny and cheap. Cheap amps will have you trying to fix problems that aren't really there.
Which amp is it that turn Auratones into accurate speakers that DON'T have you fixing problems that aren't really there?
Old 28th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer ➑️
Which amp is it that turn Auratones into accurate speakers that DON'T have you fixing problems that aren't really there?
No amp will turn Auratones into accurate speakers. But a good amp won't add to the inaccuracy. When I still used Auratones on a daily basis, I ran them with a Bryston 2B. See below:

Quote:
From the thread Is there a modern equivalent to the auratone 5c? on 30th Oct 2009

I've used Auratones forever, and I'm a firm believer in the single driver = good balance concept. But what I really wanted was a single driver speaker that went a bit lower, and in an enclosure designed with some actual science.

So I made my own.

The drivers are 4" Fostex. The Thiele-Small cabinet math was taken from the Fostex website and yields bass response that's flat down to around 110hz. The cabinet dimensions, 12H X 5.5 W X 9D, were worked out to put the drivers at ear height while taking up as little lateral space as possible.

Because the Fostex drivers, unlike the Auratones, reproduce highs all the way out to dog-whistle country, I built some external lo-pass filters using Thomas Barefoot's circuit from his Killatone single-driver project:

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum β€’ View topic - The Killatone DIY speaker project

All in all, I like these speakers a lot -- they're as good or better for balancing than Auratones, but they're also more mistake-proof in the bass. And maybe even more important, for clients they're way less of a buzzkill than Auratones. If I knew anything about circuit design, I might redo the LPF to let a smidge more highs through, but I don't and I'm fine with it.

The total cost was around $160.00.
FWIW, if you follow the link to the original post, there are some photos.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
It didn't sound like a Bryston was in the guy's budget, but it's good to know it made a difference with the Horrortones. If they became remotely useable, it did it's job.

The Avantones I heard were passive. I thought they bested my original Auratones by a significant margin, never mind newer components. For the same reasons you mentioned as why you switched.

Cool project, glad your happy with it. With all the options out there these days, 30 year old Auratones wouldn't be my choice.
Old 12th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer ➑️
With all the options out there these days, 30 year old Auratones wouldn't be my choice.
With some of our (mostly advertising) clients, Auratones and NS10's are the only brand names they know. So we have to keep them around just in case, even if it's just to show that the good ol' days weren't all that good.
Old 2nd April 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
So my dear friend karloff any news about the littlepapercones?
Old 2nd April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by klapaucius ➑️
So my dear friend karloff any news about the littlepapercones?
Yes, just back this evening from being away for a week, and rather busy til the weekend, but then the website will go up in the next week and off we go. The first littlepapercones are sitting in my place as we speak, awaiting new owners. Very soon come. There was a lot of back and forth to get the cabinets right in the end, but they are beautiful now.
Old 2nd April 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I'm very very very curious about them.Any news about the price?
Old 2nd April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by klapaucius ➑️
I'm very very very curious about them.Any news about the price?
Passive Avantones type area.
Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So, in the end I went with the active Avantones...I needed something now so had to make a purchase... Got them about 6 weeks ago, so I thought I'd report back.

I gave them a proper playing-in (the manual suggests 72 hours or so), and I gave it more like 100 hours of Deadmau5...

My initial feeling was that they were very helpful in revealing what I was getting wrong mix-wise in the low-mids, but that the high mids were problematic.

I've often had issues with mixing on my Dynaudio BM6's, in that it's quite easy to end up with a mix which has too much low, and not enough low-mid: for instance a really kicking synth bass which has too much weight in the lows (which doesn't translate well to smaller speakers), and not enough around the 600hz mark to be able to determine pitch.

The Avantones were massively helpful in this respect, and I feel far more confident in my mixes translating better from this point of view.

However, the high mid was more of an issue in that the Avantones had a huge peak which seemed to correspond to exactly the nasty ear-piercing part of any snare sound... Maybe 2.5k-3k ish.....?

It meant that wherever I put the snare level-wise it was always too loud and nasty on the Avantones, but too quiet on the Dynaudios.

This part of all my mixes had never previously been an issue for me (I'm a drummer first and foremost, and getting a good kit sound is one of the things I feel I do well)....

After a few weeks of working with the Avantones (a lot!) it now seems as though that peak has really settled down, and now when I switch between speakers I'm no longer having to duck for cover because of the snare...!

I can honestly say that after the first couple of weeks I was resigned to only using them for dealing with low-mid levels, and was considering getting a third set of speakers to deal with snare and vocal levels....

I'm glad I stuck with them however, and actually I'm feeling that my mixes have dramatically moved a step upwards in terms of translation.

But really, the play-in time must have run to hundreds of hours before I felt they were properly useable in the high mid range... Worth bearing in mind if you're thinking of getting a pair!
Old 3rd May 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
The Madisound Speaker Store these would work nice if you are buying drivers. i would not buy speakers with no published response curves. fostex has some nice 5 inchers too.
πŸ“ Reply