Auratone or Avantone...? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Auratone or Avantone...?
Old 3rd May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
I'm in London too. Availabiity will be worldwide in any case. Keep an eye on the New Products section in a couple of weeks time.
May I ask where this New Products section is?
Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Venkman ➡️
May I ask where this New Products section is?
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=829773
Old 29th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➡️
I'd pick the (passive) Auratones because using a great amp with them makes a huge difference. The amps in Avantones are tiny and cheap. Cheap amps will have you trying to fix problems that aren't really there.
Old thread, but great topic, specially with the new Auratone out.

I'd love to understand why is that? how does a better amp drives such a simple design into more transparent territory ?

I have a Cambridge Delta 60, and I'm willing to audition more amps. My friend ( vintage Hifi seller) got me a YBA and old Setton to try-out but he doesn't how an amp could change my Auratone either.

I have a bit of high mid harshness with them I was hoping to get rid of...
Old 29th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Real class A amps put out a great 'first watt' ... and that is what your Auratones will like a lot.

Also class AB amps tend to be 'overdamped' at low volumes wich kinda 'chokes' the sound of these lttle drivers.

I was happy with my Cambridge, until I build my little Nelson Pass amp (2x10W)
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp ➡️
I have a Cambridge Delta 60, and I'm willing to audition more amps. My friend ( vintage Hifi seller) got me a YBA and old Setton to try-out but he doesn't how an amp could change my Auratone either.
Please report back when you've made the comparison. :-)
Old 29th February 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks ! the YBA seems to be a delight. Less fake harshness and 2D, more 3d, wider and overall: more weight in presenting things to my ears ( reverb, details, low end, spaces)...or maybe it's my mind playing tricks !

I have yet to try my A50 from Revox, a Setton, a marantz and a friend's tube amp.

Last edited by DownSideUp; 29th February 2016 at 05:46 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmik Prod. ➡️
Real class A amps put out a great 'first watt' ... and that is what your Auratones will like a lot.

Also class AB amps tend to be 'overdamped' at low volumes wich kinda 'chokes' the sound of these lttle drivers.

I was happy with my Cambridge, until I build my little Nelson Pass amp (2x10W)
I just set up the Setton AS 3300...

Guys, before further testing of amps, how would you describe what is not right with cheap amps on the Auratone's ?
Old 29th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Bad amp 2D flat sound,... good amp 3D spacious sound.

Bad amp, you can 'feel' the low end only, good amp, you can 'feel' the whole spectrum.

On a good system the speakers 'dissappear' you listen to sound but looking at the speakers it's like the speakers are not the 'source' of the sound, the music just fills the room and is not obviously comming from the speakers....
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmik Prod. ➡️
Bad amp 2D flat sound,... good amp 3D spacious sound.

Bad amp, you can 'feel' the low end only, good amp, you can 'feel' the whole spectrum.

On a good system the speakers 'dissappear' you listen to sound but looking at the speakers it's like the speakers are not the 'source' of the sound, the music just fills the room and is not obviously comming from the speakers....
Thanks a lot. Oh boy, that YBA got all the attribute of a very good amp, which also means digging a hole in one's bank account ! help !

tomorrow we'll be trying out some Class A amps
Old 29th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Check out Nelson Pass DIY site, I build mine for about $ 400,- 2 x 10 Watts, ballanced inputs.
Old 1st March 2016
Lives for gear

Well we tried a chinese class A lamp, bright. Even more than the Cambridge with is compressed and harsh.
We tried a big Audio Synthesis DESIRE class A, which had balls in the sub, and pretty strong overall.

The YBA Integré Passion at last, is so sweet, organic, never fatiguing, you can stop the music. It pulls you, and everything floats around you. Amazing details i hardly heard before...like how to loose 2k$ !!!
Old 1st March 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ooops... 2K !

Great stuff does not come cheap I guess.... at that budget try a Perraux also, they have a nice small new amp with ballanced inputs.

Edit; this baby; http://www.perreaux.com/products/aud...ower-amplifier
Old 1st March 2016
Lives for gear

Yes, the YBA was 4400$ new ! and it has just been completely made new by the previous owner. My friend can get a "good" deal under 2k.

Thanks, I'll check out if he has amps as good for cheaper, or at this price: try other puppies and see how they drive the 5Cs.

Trying 4 or 5 amps was a great opportunity, but he has a lot more! tube McIntosh etc.etc.

I'm working on a new song, and my snare sounds pretty damn good before any EQ. I had some harshness in the old amp triggering the 4k of the snare in your face all the time. I guess I will worry less about that, and maybe I can see much clearer now. or it feels like it.
Old 1st March 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think that YBA thing is your thing,... it works in your situation, you're mixing on it and it put's a smile on yer face.... and you can get a great deal on it.

BUY THE THING !

I have no better advise for you at this point.... Now I want to hear one to !
Old 1st March 2016
Lives for gear

ahah true! I love it. I wasn't going to put that kind of money, but it's a must now, from what I hear.

NOW with that kind of money ( haven't paid yet) my friend ( vintage hifi seller) would probably have other sweet stuff. I might compare: because we can !
For now I'll keep the YBA but until I pay, I'll tell him..."try me" ahah

Cranking American Idiot, tight and alive ! not harsh and wonderfull depth
📝 Reply