Quantcast
Headphone distribution question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Headphone distribution question
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Headphone distribution question

Hi guys, trying to think through a headphone routing puzzle...

I have 3 ART HeadAmp6 Pro's powering 16 headphone lines. Currently the Control Room mix is looping through each headphone channel, but we'd like to add isolated hp mix functionality.

With my i/o setup, I have the ability to have 12 additional distinct stereo mixes.

I also have a blank SAMSON S-Patch Plus that I can use if that would help.

It would be a since to throw all 12 stereo mixes on the patchbay and just have the engineer patch each individual headphone into its own distinct output, but the cons of this are:
1) then the engineer has to set up aux mixes for EVERY headphone
2) 12 is less than 16

What do I need if I want to be able to set up, say, 2 distinct headphone mixes and send either hp mix to whatever headphones I want?
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
it sounds like you could put the three headphone amps on the bay individually, and send separate mixes to them. Then just put some mults on the bay so you can send the same mix to multiple headphone amps if you need to. The downside is that you need a way to select which mix you want people to have in the room.

It may be easier to just invest in something like the hear technologies hearback system, but if spending money isn't an option I think you could make a more than workable system with what you've got. It just requires some interesting routing.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks for the tip! I think this is what I'm going to end up doing:

1) Feed each of the HeadAmp6Pro's it's own stereo mix (normalled).
2) put each of the headphone feeds from the HeadAmp6Pro's on the patchbay.
3) put each of the headphone lines to the studio on the patchbay.

This will allow any headphone to be patched into any of 3 distinct mixes (4 if you count the main mix). This is good enough for our purposes.
Old 15th March 2013
Here for the gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
I found the best way for us to use this is, we have each aux send going to aux in on the back of the ART headamp, and control room going to the main input on the ART, you can eaither give the full monitor mix into the aux ins that the musician wants or just their mix, we do the full monitor mix and turn the main volume down, then when they want to hear the mixed version in playback turn the mix up and mute the aux sends, no patchbay required, always stays hooked up, no muss no fuss, we have 10 aux mono aux sends from our board so if you don't have the 16 you need to use I would pair a couple of them, drums and bass, guitars, BG Vox etc...
๐Ÿ“ Reply