TRS/XLR inputs..... Patchbay? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TRS/XLR inputs..... Patchbay?
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
TRS/XLR inputs..... Patchbay?

Hey Everyone,

I am having trouble deciding exactly how to go about this situation...

Future control room will go upstairs. Live room will be downstairs.

I want 8 xlr and 8 trs going to and from both rooms. I thought about a snake but I want it to look nice. Big box in the middle of the room a no go. All these connections will go upstair to 2 separate patches. (one xlr, one trs)

The issue I'm having is how to make the downstairs connections look good in the wall but also be strong and dependable. I seen the punched plates and have thought about going that way but wouldn't it be easier to just use 2 more patch bays? is it ok to use patch bays as ins for gear/mic? Is this a common practice?

I mean these wall plates that you do yourself. Aren't they nothing more than Home-made patch bays? I could be totally wrong here. lol

I look forward to hearing from the pro's

Thanks guys,
Levitys
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
i dont see why using a patch bay in that way would be a bad idea. and im not sure if this is what you're looking for but check these out:

16 XLR to XLR 1U

they're customizable too.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

The proper way to do this, which also looks the most professional, is to fish the walls with two 8 channel snakes and tie them in to wall plates with the appropriate connectors on either side via solder.

From there, you would have a patchbay in your control room which would connect to the wall plate located on the control room side. Then, you could patch in to whichever preamp you wish to use for each mic/line connection being used in the live room.

I would caution you against only getting a 16 channel patchbay as you will eventually grow and want to use outboard gear, have your converters on the bay, etc. You'll run out of ports very quickly.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian ➡️
The proper way to do this, which also looks the most professional, is to fish the walls with two 8 channel snakes and tie them in to wall plates with the appropriate connectors on either side via solder.

From there, you would have a patchbay in your control room which would connect to the wall plate located on the control room side. Then, you could patch in to whichever preamp you wish to use for each mic/line connection being used in the live room.

I would caution you against only getting a 16 channel patchbay as you will eventually grow and want to use outboard gear, have your converters on the bay, etc. You'll run out of ports very quickly.
I agree wholeheartedly!

Even if you only have 16 i/o right NOW, you WILL want more.... you will also eventually want to add some more outboard pres, processors, and maybe even a new console. do yourself a huge favor and start your CR patchbay off with at LEAST 48 i/o...

16 sent down to the live room should be fine, as you'll use 8-10 for drums, 2 for bass(mic+DI)and 2 each for electric or acoustic guitars... drums, bass, 2gtr at once covers most tracking situations outside of Nashville! I have done some great records with just the drums and bass in the room and everything else laid down as overdubs...some in the live room, some in iso booths.... 24 might be better, in case you ever record somebody looking to use a multi-synth setup (don't want to have to submix at source, unless you're on tape and track count is a concern?)

Are you patchbays TT Bantam or are you going 1/4"? soldering them yourself or looking for pre configured ones? Also, are you using ELCO/Dsub connectors or individual fanouts? these questions(and more) determine how difficult it will be to grow the system at a later date!
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Wow,

Thanks for your quick and knowledgable replies guys. I really appreciate it.
It sounds like the snakes are definitely the way to go then and I think you are
100% correct about wanting to expand in the future.

Here's a little more info on what's going on:

• Fireface UFX
• Samson S-Patch Plus (48)
• Line 6 HD PRo
•*Pro tools 10

Do you think adding:
16 channel xlr snakes (control to basement)
16 channel trs snake (control to basement)
16 channel xlr patchbay (control)

will future proof me for a while anyways?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again guys!
Levitys
Old 30th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitys ➡️
Wow,

• Fireface UFX
• Line 6 HD PRo
•*Pro tools 10

Do you think adding:

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again guys!
Levitys
you should wire both rooms with the amount of channels you need now but put in a 24 or 48 channel snake. also you should dimension the patchbay/stagebox for your future setup.

keep in mind that yought need midi/adat/LAN as well?!

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitys ➡️
Wow,

• Fireface UFX
• Line 6 HD PRo
•*Pro tools 10

Do you think adding:

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again guys!
Levitys
You don't want XLR or TRS snakes. You want bare snake cable that you will solder into the wall plates. On the wall plates you can put whatever connectors you want, but the best idea is to put DSUBs on the wall plates and solder the snake into those because then you can but DSUB to whatever snake you want, or, if you get a DSUB patchbay you can just go DSUB->DSUB and you're on the bay (the best route).

(3) 8-channel bare wire snakes from Mogami aren't that pricey and if you fish the walls once and drop in those three snakes, you'll have 24 connections from the live room to the control room. However, and what you may not have considered is going the other direction for things like reamping, headphones, etc. Best idea is to run (6) 8 channel snakes so you have 24 channels from the live room to the control room AND 24 channels from the control room to the live room. You may not use them all but it's better to have the connections and not need them than to need them and not have them.

Do the work properly once and don't worry about things coming down the line in the future.

And, if I can be a bit of a shill for our own gear, you may want to check out our AudioLot Mixbay which will give you the perfect patchbay for the setup we are discussing.
📝 Reply