Quantcast
Ashly cl52 users... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ashly cl52 users...
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Ashly cl52 users...

this comp does not have a 'threshold' knob but it does have a 'gain' knob. (and a separate output gain knob)

how does the 'gain' control compare to a 'threshold' control?

same thing?
if not, how is the threshold set on a comp like this?
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
gain vs. threshold on a compressor...
anyone?
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I just picked up 2 of these. Would love to know more peoples thoughts. Sounds great on vocals so far!

I personally like having an input gain vs a threshold knob.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i like it too. just wondering what it does.

my current favorite use it after a bass DI. full and present
Old 16th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
still curious. bump
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The threshold is fixed, like the ceiling in your bedroom. The input gain control pushes the input signal up into the threshold, like you jumping on your bed and bashing your head on the ceiling.

LP
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
PS This is my vocal compressor/limiter for life.
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the LC50 (CL52) is a totally awesome gritty thick compressor. I had one and it lived on snare.

If anyone is selling these I will gladly buy them.
Old 16th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneoconnor ➑️
the LC50 (CL52) is a totally awesome gritty thick compressor. I had one and it lived on snare.

If anyone is selling these I will gladly buy them.
I have a rack of 8 gathering dust...
Old 16th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
glad to see I'm not the only one who love this little box.
still curious though..
what are the specific differences between a threshold setting and a gain setting on a compressor.
obviously they pretty much achieve the same result. but why call it a gain knob if that's the case.
are there other comps with this design?
Old 8th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by onespecial ➑️
glad to see I'm not the only one who love this little box.
still curious though..
what are the specific differences between a threshold setting and a gain setting on a compressor.
obviously they pretty much achieve the same result. but why call it a gain knob if that's the case.
are there other comps with this design?
using Lame Pseudonym's bedroom ceiling analogy, a fixed threshold with input gain lets you raise the height of the bed you're jumping on, while a threshold knob instead moves the height of the ceiling. Both perform a similar function of determining at what amplitude the compression kicks in at. Some oldschool compressors such as the famous 1176, or the LA-2a, had fixed thresholds and an input gain knob. It's just one of the many things that gives a particular model it's sound and feel.

Some people prefer the simplicity of a gain knob. Others don't mind turning up the gain of the previous device for the same effect. Still others prefer to adjust the threshold manually. There's probably not as much difference as it seems. It's all about gain staging. Here's a nice primer on proper gain staging while recording TIPS AND TRICKS - GAIN STAGING 101
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
edit

Last edited by hymenoptera; 8th March 2013 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: double post
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym ➑️
The threshold is fixed, like the ceiling in your bedroom. The input gain control pushes the input signal up into the threshold, like you jumping on your bed and bashing your head on the ceiling.

LP
lol And about right. Basically you set your output level. The amount of compression will depend on how high you push the input. So yes, raising the input level will push more of you program material above the fixed threshold.

I have the CL52e, not sure if it is any different. Love this compressor, it is my only one currently. Mostly just have a vocal and guitar practice rig set up, with an Adat for crude recording.

I do miss my MXR rack limiters, also great compressors with character in this price range. And I've owned 1176's, Distressor's, etc.
Old 8th March 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Also have the Ashly mixer:
Attached Thumbnails
Ashly cl52 users...-rack.jpg  
Old 4th July 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornson ➑️
I have a rack of 8 gathering dust...
Wow can I get one ?
Old 7th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've got a CL-52e on the way, gave $50 for it... looking forward to hearing what it does for 2-bus / program material
Old 8th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Nice sounding 2 channel compressor.

So far so good. I'm pleased. I like what's happening to the low end. Tight bass. Highs aren't disappearing either. Controls are intuitive as you can hope for from a cluttered two-channel 1RU face. So far just got it in front of the monitors squeezing anything and everything I playback. Still need to try tracking with it.

Overall, I recommend one to any beginner if you can find one for under < US$100. Better than a dbx 266xl or Alesis 3630, that's for sure.

edit: Just a sidenote, the lack of a threshold doesn't bother me one bit. Plenty of range to the input Gain if you need to cut a hot signal, with -30dB to +30dB it seems. Man, this thing really sounds alright IMO! I'm digging it.
πŸ“ Reply