Sound Devices finished up - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sound Devices finished up
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Sound Devices shop front finished up

Sound Devices has officially moved from the Sussex street store, as they sold the building. Lewis is now the sole proprietor operating from the Guitar Factory.

News Article, Latest audio product news, Sound Devices

Bit sad as I used to love visiting their store and chatting to the staff, especially Craig Sue, who told me the news. Times are changing the music retail market is tough with all of the online competition.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hmmm.....well they say a change is as good as a holiday! Maybe SoundDevices MK3 will become a great Pro Audio retailer - Leaves being a Studio in the City a bit problematic! Though....Parramatta is Central to all of Sydney - Geographically!
Very Interesting!
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Sound Devices lost my business a few years back (shortly after Matt Lord left) and that's unlikely to change. I only spend $20K a year and that wasn't enough for them to return my phone calls.

Anyway, good luck to them regardless.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
C'mon we all know how it works!
Yeap....They don't get out of Bed for under 20K to answer the Phone (the Red one) or Email (on a Mac) under 20K you go directly to the Answer Machine & PC Server. Unless your Spending 50K per quarter!
Gotta love Sound Devices!
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F ➑️
Times are changing the music retail market is tough with all of the online competition.
don't forget the ridiculous pricing and atrocious customer service too
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Never have, never will......My "Special Sound Devices scammed" Motu unit that belongs to a deserved special school is testament to that! Rust, damage, sent in a 61 note keyboard box...!
unwrapped!
Amen!
Sussex Street - Be gone........!
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte ➑️
C'mon we all know how it works!
Yeap....They don't get out of Bed for under 20K to answer the Phone (the Red one) or Email (on a Mac) under 20K you go directly to the Answer Machine & PC Server. Unless your Spending 50K per quarter!
Gotta love Sound Devices!
Probably because they only made $200.00 profit on a 20K sale. Since shops in Australia paying Australian business costs clearly can't compete with overseas sellers I would expect more closures on the way.
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well.....When I'm the customer and I get Jibbed, why would I care? There is a whole other thread dedicated to Sound Devices and the many & numerous unhappy customers/Clients whom have been through the same Sound Device's Process. People are more then happy to drop a Large Bundle and pay for excellent retail service. Turramurra Music has been doing that for more then 30 years for me....since they were a Record/Music Store! They built a loyal and very professional team. Sound Devices had one serious advantage, they were bang in the centre of Sydney City Proper, and thus Studios became their meal ticket.....Well Guess what, the Studios are all gone, though the hundreds of Private Facilities still are large. That is the real difference between Turramurra Music and Sound Devices. At one store your loyalty is appreciated life long, at the other, your rolling cash seems to be all that has ever counted. Sound Devices is no doubt going to become some sort of Bava's Music type scene - And that's a huge cringe! Then again - Now it's Sound Devices MKIII we might be all surprised and it could kick off beginning a new life as a great new store? Who knows, though we all know that know O.S store pricing being so low makes it near impossible thus these stores can't compete! It's high time both Sound Devices or Turramurra Music and suppliers gather up and see where the shift has been made as even at AUD-0.80.00 C = $1.00-USD it can often be far easier and cheaper to shop overseas (Another long thread done to death!). Who knows, maybe these stores are banking on a parity return and then suitable adjustment, those whom have ignored local retailers I'm sure will be paying seriously for Australian purchases in this case! I mean an Akai Synthstation is $148.00 AUD here right now, and on the Akai website when in stock, advertised for $60.00 USD. Their is still a massive gulf in certain areas from the cheapest to the most expensive? The New Korg MS20 Mini seems to suffering the same fate! Maybe we all need to get on ELFA's case?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well.....When I'm the customer and I get Jibbed, why would I care? There is a whole other thread dedicated to Sound Devices and the many & numerous unhappy customers/Clients whom have been through the same Sound Device's Process. People are more then happy to drop a Large Bundle and pay for excellent retail service. Turramurra Music has been doing that for more then 30 years for me....since they were a Record/Music Store! They built a loyal and very professional team. Sound Devices had one serious advantage, they were bang in the centre of Sydney City Proper, and thus Studios became their meal ticket.....Well Guess what, the Studios are all gone, though the hundreds of Private Facilities still are large. That is the real difference between Turramurra Music and Sound Devices. At one store your loyalty is appreciated life long, at the other, your rolling cash seems to be all that has ever counted. Sound Devices is no doubt going to become some sort of Bava's Music type scene - And that's a huge cringe! Then again - Now it's Sound Devices MKIII we might be all surprised and it could kick off beginning a new life as a great new store? Who knows, though we all know that know O.S store pricing being so low makes it near impossible thus these stores can't compete! It's high time both Sound Devices or Turramurra Music and suppliers gather up and see where the shift has been made as even at AUD-0.80.00 C = $1.00-USD it can often be far easier and cheaper to shop overseas (Another long thread done to death!). Who knows, maybe these stores are banking on a parity return and then suitable adjustment, those whom have ignored local retailers I'm sure will be paying seriously for Australian purchases in this case! I mean an Akai Synthstation is $148.00 AUD here right now, and on the Akai website when in stock, advertised for $60.00 USD. Their is still a massive gulf in certain areas from the cheapest to the most expensive? The New Korg MS20 Mini seems to suffering the same fate! Maybe we all need to get on ELFA's case?
This is a microcosm of what's coming. retail is the canary in the coal mine. If you think that Aussie retailers need to get with the program and slash prices to American levels then be prepared for the next step in the program right around the country:

Laid off! What do you mean laid off?" "well, we think that you are a rip off. Why should we pay you $25.00 an hour plus all those entitlements to work in our admin dept. when we can get an overseas worker to do it for $1.00 per hour with no other costs?" "Australian businesses can no longer afford to be ripped off by uncompetitive staff, you can keep your job but you have to get with the program and match the guys in India."

Coming soon to a business near you.
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dude,
I have "NO IDEA WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT" Maybe you quoted the wrong person, and posted in the wrong thread?
Your Post makes no sense? No Offense Meant! I must say. My opinion is exactly that, my own.....others have different experiences?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Dude,
I have "NO IDEA WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT" Maybe you quoted the wrong person, and posted in the wrong thread?
Your Post makes no sense? No Offense Meant! I must say. My opinion is exactly that, my own.....others have different experiences?
I am agreeing with your post, specifically about the shifts that are necessary for music retailers and wholesalers to make in order to survive. I am just musing on how the issues that are causing the closure of our retailers and wholesalers is a symptom of an issue that is going to be faced by every industry in Australia soon, hence my post. Sorry, my post was poorly put together, I wasn't specifically referring to you with regards "getting with the program", I was generalising.

Personally I always received good service from Sound Devices, I am sad to see them go.
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool....As I'm saying... Support Your Local Music Shop - Else we won't have any!
And ELFA or The Electric Factory - Don't get me started! 13 months ago on the phone with the head of Akai Pro @ ELFA asking why an Akai-Synthstation was $60.00 USD Vs $150.00 AUD. "Well...That's the Price we decided" .....3 Hours later I had one for $93.00 Bucks though still pissed off to the Max that thus dude had simply........know idea? It wen't on & on & on & on.......all just.....for a Present for my niece!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Cool....As I'm saying... Support Your Local Music Shop - Else we won't have any!
And ELFA or The Electric Factory - Don't get me started! 13 months ago on the phone with the head of Akai Pro @ ELFA asking why an Akai-Synthstation was $60.00 USD Vs $150.00 AUD. "Well...That's the Price we decided" .....3 Hours later I had one for $93.00 Bucks though still pissed off to the Max that thus dude had simply........know idea? It wen't on & on & on & on.......all just.....for a Present for my niece!
I think that the wholesale layer in Australia has been more of a problem than the retailers. The retailers have to face people coming in demanding deep discounts but the wholesalers not only kept their 30% margins but sometimes gave the retailers only 10% in order to keep to the RRP while keeping their wholesale margins intact. Some wholesalers are very good, Roland Australia comes to mind, but others crush retailers and it is the retailers who cop the flack at the customer level. I don't know how this will play out, particularly with the wild card of a possible fall in the AU dollar in the future.
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
So its a wholesale margins problem? Not a business cost problem?

Rohan
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's always Been the Giant Middlemen & Wholesalers who've made profit hell for so many.
When ELFA where selling Ensoniq, they would give Harbour Music 45% off and others like TMC & Venue Music 20% off. RRP$.....Brutal though true!......That's why AKAI PRO packed up and left OZ.....to much Small time crap. Ask Nymo..He's been through it all...it's..always been like this! Shure Microphones Banned Retail from being anything save their SET OZ PRICE! Crazy Stuff! So.........Any Wonder the Music Retailers we love Struggle! Best O.S Price I could get for a Focusrite ISA 2 Pre (For use with Dynamic Mic's) was $840.00 & Importing was $750.00 USD Plus $80.00 Shipping? Of course I bought locally! MOTU is now under ELFA control as well!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolFlow ➑️
So its a wholesale margins problem? Not a business cost problem?

Rohan
Well I guess in the end the wholesale margin is a business cost as far as the retailer is concerned, but I get what you mean, I think that the primary issue is general business costs in Australia - Wages, rents, insurance, compliance. It's why retailers of every type are struggling.

The wholesale margins are a problem for Aussie stores because overseas stores in countries that actually manufacture instruments often buy directly from the manufacturers reps and get a better price. Also countries like America get massive volume discounts and also they have a lot of "B" stock, and I would be willing to bet that Australia is a fantastic place for US shops to dump their B stock on unwitting internet buyers at "A" stock prices.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It's always Been the Giant Middlemen & Wholesalers who've made profit hell for so many.
When ELFA where selling Ensoniq, they would give Harbour Music 45% off and others like TMC & Venue Music 20% off. RRP$.....Brutal though true!......That's why AKAI PRO packed up and left OZ.....to much Small time crap. Ask Nymo..He's been through it all...it's..always been like this! Shure Microphones Banned Retail from being anything save their SET OZ PRICE! Crazy Stuff! So.........Any Wonder the Music Retailers we love Struggle! Best O.S Price I could get for a Focusrite ISA 2 Pre (For use with Dynamic Mic's) was $840.00 & Importing was $750.00 USD Plus $80.00 Shipping? Of course I bought locally! MOTU is now under ELFA control as well!
That has always been a problem for the smaller stores, I have worked in a music store that was buying a product wholesale for the same price that another larger store with a "sweetheart" deal was retailing the same item for.
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So Damn true......Never buy the "B" Stock on eBAY as your getting trouble and Junk.
Often the warranty is worth the extra $50/75/100/150/200.00 bucks Etc Et All Plus!
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In the end many retail shops are tired of becoming showrooms for every overseas shop on the internet. I doubt that music retail shops as we know them will continue for much longer, interesting how things go around - Early last century people who lived in remote places shopped via mail order from catalogues. Then came the retail stores. Now we who live in a remote place (Australia) are going back to shopping via mail from catalogues.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Well.....When I'm the customer and I get Jibbed, why would I care? There is a whole other thread dedicated to Sound Devices and the many & numerous unhappy customers/Clients whom have been through the same Sound Device's Process. People are more then happy to drop a Large Bundle and pay for excellent retail service. Turramurra Music has been doing that for more then 30 years for me....since they were a Record/Music Store! They built a loyal and very professional team. Sound Devices had one serious advantage, they were bang in the centre of Sydney City Proper, and thus Studios became their meal ticket....O.S store pricing being so low makes it near impossible thus these stores can't compete!
In 2005 I flew from Perth to Sydney in order to check out the music studios and stores as I was expanding my production studio. Sound Devices was once of the many outlets I visited but I ended up getting most of my gear from Turramurra Music due to their superior service and better prices.
To be frank, I found the Sound Devices salesman with whom I was dealing with to be rather uncouth.

Quote:
It's high time both Sound Devices or Turramurra Music and suppliers gather up and see where the shift has been made as even at AUD-0.80.00 C = $1.00-USD it can often be far easier and cheaper to shop overseas.
Which is what I do now (particularly since I live closer to the USA than I used to (in other words, I emigrated from Australia).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by triez ➑️
In the end many retail shops are tired of becoming showrooms for every overseas shop on the internet. I doubt that music retail shops as we know them will continue for much longer, interesting how things go around - Early last century people who lived in remote places shopped via mail order from catalogues. Then came the retail stores. Now we who live in a remote place (Australia) are going back to shopping via mail from catalogues.
I know the Place you mean.....That far reaching overinflated place in Canberra!
They Sold everything from Guitar Strings, Bongos, Mic's Pre's, Amp's, Violins, FX Units, Consoles, ADAT's and.......You name it!
Now.......Gone!
Thank God!

Then those "REMOTE PEOPLE" got a Government Grant, and bought Studers, and Neumann's alongside Klotz Broadcast Consoles!
Aboriginal Radio Stations - Community to Community - Uncle Bob's Idea! Like His Musical Scholarship Fund or (Dole) 1987...Stock Crash... "....Walk into Job Centre, "Yeah...Erm...Any Jobs For Sound Engineers? Nope...Fill out this?....Stamp Pad...Boom! Congrats...Your on the Dole!".
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by triez ➑️
Also countries like America get massive volume discounts and also they have a lot of "B" stock, and I would be willing to bet that Australia is a fantastic place for US shops to dump their B stock on unwitting internet buyers at "A" stock prices.
ive found the total opposite to be true.. The USA retailers are far more transparent and actually list B stock as B stock.. When was the last time you saw an Aussie store list an item as B stock on their websites ?? It never happens and yet its on every USA store you visit.. Ive found Australian stores prefer to try to hide things from the customer.. I pretty much dont trust the local stores anymore..
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's funny. I went into Sound Devices a couple of times to buy a couple of odds and ends. A patch bay, midi controller etc. I found the staff to be so stand offish, and I felt like an inconvenience when I would ask for help. Once they realized I did alot of the purchasing for the pro audio for a major radio station down the road, the tone changed. Handed me a business card and asked me to speak to them when we did a Pro Tools HD rollout. Sorry, but I already had a really bad taste in my mouth.
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SEE THE SOUND DEVICES THREAD..... YOU'LL FEEL MUCH BETTER AFTER THAT! (MANY INC. MYSELF HAVE BEEN THROUGH THIS....I GOT AN AVALON 737 WHEN THEY 1st CAME OUT - IT WAS JUNK!)

Then production moved O.S (USA) and they got the Power supply rails right..Voila....Nice unit! And..... they owned Pro Tools/Avid Dirabution in Australia at the time! Every Studio in Sydney was Locked into them so....strange enough, doing more business with them made sense.....at the time! - So different now!
Ripped me off on a credit card! - Thieves!
Cheers
TLB.
πŸ“ Reply