Quantcast
How to eq neumann u87 ai to remove sibilance? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to eq neumann u87 ai to remove sibilance?
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
How to eq neumann u87 ai to remove sibilance?

I have ai87. Great mic.

But when it comes to recording some male vocals - it is sometimes so sibilant on some frequencies...

How to eq neumann u87 ai to remove this cold sibilance?
(not using other mic)

Or maybe a great pre could remove this sibilance and make it warmer?
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The old SOS pencil trick helps...2 pop shields....with a wooden pencil placed in the middle vertically.

Also try different angles..like...the Mic placed a little lower and pointing up but singing over it..

I put my old 87 through a UAD LA 610 MK2...and some time also through an old TLA valve EQ to the computer.

It should not work!..but it gets me to a better place.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have literally the same problem when recording some voices with my ais and have found nothing really to work effectively. I just either don't use that mic on vocalists that seem to bring that out of the u87ai, or comb through the vocal afterwards and automate the sibilance out of it. It is a but time consuming but gets the job done.

I recently bought split de esser for the task but haven't had a chance to try it out properly yet on a problem vocal.

Good luck
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ahhhhhhhhh this is a conversation I have had more times in my career than I can remember. I can't tell you how many times I've talked with a client wanting to buy a U87 to upgrade over their TLM103 (one of many options) because they aren't getting that "pro sound" they expected.... only to find out that they are using the pre's on their basic mixer or audio interface. MATCHING a professional mic-pre that fits the sound of the microphone is something I have been preaching for 20-years. IMHO a TLM103 through an LA610mk2 will yield better results than a U87 through a basic micpre. That said a U87 through an LA610mk2 is even better.

Okay that all said---what pre are you using (since you mentioned a better pre might be the answer)? The fact is the U87 DOES have a harshness to it, but when matched with the right mic-pre it can be resolved. The same is true for other mics, such as the C414. Running that microphone through say an Avalon M5 will sound radically different through their own VT737, or back to the Universal Audio....running through the Solo110 v/s the Solo610, etc.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
i fear that the u87ai is inferior to the vintage u87. :O
Old 30th January 2013

🎧 15 years
The old school way is to use a dedicated sibilance controller like a DBX 902.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Haven't used the AI but with our vintage 87 I usually place it at nose height and point it down towards the mouth. This helps.

That being said, pairing it with a nice pre helps a lot more. I use it with Retro Powerstrip and the results are just perfect for me. Never any sibilance.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If it's a problem in a track, I usually de-ess and automate volume. Combo of both works best. EQing does too much overall damage.

I've used plenty of old and new 87s, and i find there is more subtle variation among old ones than there is overall difference between old and new. The 87 character comes through with old or new, providing the old one is in good shape.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The U87ai is a great microphone, but the whole signal chain effects how harsh or sibilant it sounds, including and especially the singers voice and performance technique. Things that will help without upgrading your gear? Nylon stockings or pop filters in front of the microphone, turning the capsule so it's not pointed directly at the singers face, using some sort of free software de-esser.
Old 30th January 2013
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Maybe it was GS "brainwashing"heh. But up to the recent NAMM, thought (at best)the AI was boring/mildly sibilant on my voice. This year, thought it sounded great! So would be totally cool now with seeing one used for me in a professional studio.

If I were staying within the Neumann line for "just me", however, I like the
TLM 67 just as much (to save some $$).

Chris
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton ➑️
The old school way is to use a dedicated sibilance controller like a DBX 902.
+1. From the boutique companies - Empirical Labs makes a nice de esser also. Also the DS500 from Pendulum Audio.
Old 18th August 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Send it to Klaus...
πŸ“ Reply