Quantcast
Microphone for Vocals around $500! Help. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Microphone for Vocals around $500! Help.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Microphone for Vocals around $500! Help.

Hello fellow GS members!

I'm wondering, what's a great microphone for strictly vocals? Pop/R&B, maybe a little rap!
Around $500? (U.S) (Under 500$ preferred)

I've researched & and these pop up quite a bit:

Shure SM7B
Shure KSM32
Rode NT2A
Rode NTK Tube
AT4040

However, I don't know what the hell to get! :D
What do you guys think? Maybe there's something better!
If you choose one of those, please explain a little why.
Other recommendations are highly appreciated too!

Thank you so much in advance & for your time. This is really important to me!
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Shure KSM32 is a very underrated mic., And doesn't get nearly enough recognition on GS. I have several 4-8k mics, and my KSM32 into a simple Mackie Blackjack more than holds it own every time. Mic bargain of the century.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SM7b
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just bought a KSM32 off ebay and from some preliminary vocal recordings to check the mic out last night, I think I may be using it more than an AT4040 and AKG C214 I have. This was into a Focusrite ISA One and I haven't pushed it through any other preamps I have as of yet.
The KSM32 is a sensitive mic I found out. While I was recording I started to hear what sounded like crackling in the headphones and I thought the mic had a problem. Took the headphones off and couldn't readily hear anything, but then realized it was sleeting outside and the "crackling" was the sleet hitting a sky window in the room and the mic was picking it up .

I also have an SM7B which gets used frequently depending on what type of vocals I'm attempting to sing.

Your own mileage with any mic may vary depending on your own voice and the material you record.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodwindy ➑️
Shure KSM32 is a very underrated mic., And doesn't get nearly enough recognition on GS. I have several 4-8k mics, and my KSM32 into a simple Mackie Blackjack more than holds it own every time. Mic bargain of the century.
Thank you so much for your reply. That's really good advice, I'm pulling really close to that one now. How does it compare to a SM7B, if you know? Because everywhere I look, that mic comes up every single time! :P

I'd love to hear the opinion of others, so please do! Thanks a lot guys!
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I agree with Woodwindy. KSM32 is super underrated. Although I love my SM7B as well. One mic that I think gets passed over entirely too often is actually the C214 by AKG. It's $400 and according to AKG, has the same capsule as a C414, just lacking all the bells and whistles. Sounds super great if you're after that kinda sound. I've never been too stoked on the NTK for vocals, but sounds super cool on guitar cabs . . .
I'd say regardless of what you pick from your selections, you're going to be pretty pleased.
If you decide to go with the SM7, just make sure you have a decent preamp. A weak preamp starts to show its true colors once you crank it enough to get some useable levels.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by naterpotater ➑️
I agree with Woodwindy. KSM32 is super underrated. Although I love my SM7B as well. One mic that I think gets passed over entirely too often is actually the C214 by AKG. It's $400 and according to AKG, has the same capsule as a C414, just lacking all the bells and whistles. Sounds super great if you're after that kinda sound. I've never been too stoked on the NTK for vocals, but sounds super cool on guitar cabs . . .
I'd say regardless of what you pick from your selections, you're going to be pretty pleased.
If you decide to go with the SM7, just make sure you have a decent preamp. A weak preamp starts to show its true colors once you crank it enough to get some useable levels.
Thank you so much for your reply! So if you had to pick, which would you go with just for vocals? The KSM32, C214 or SM7B? The genre of sound I'm going for would be Pop, if that makes sense. :$
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I don't know if this could be a helpful thought, but a deciding factor could be your room. If you don't have a great sounding room, you might be better off sticking with the sm7 for now.

Sent from my SPH-L710
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
AT4047 would be close to your budget! Great utility condenser.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Avant electronics CV-12
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'm really thinking of the KSM32, I've only heard good things about it & very few not so good things. The SM7B requires a lot of gain, I've read around 65db & I can't really get a preamp that would guarantee it will work well. Plus, it seems suited more for loud singers & for now, I'll be dealing with more subtle voices.

With that said, does anyone have experience with a KSM32 that wasn't good?
Because I'm close to making it my choice of purchase!
Again, it's only for vocals, no instruments.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
+1 on the KSM 32. I think you can make really good records with any of the choices but in my opinion you should try to get a mic that covers somewhat different grounds than what you already have. The KSM 32 has a very natural sound and the top is never harsh. It's quite difficult to get it to sound bad on anything. I find that it also picks up great low frequency information but it's subtle. It can be almost too perfect and kind of boring too... not much flavor to it so you are going to have to get creative elsewhere in your signal chain IMO. Other than that it's a very deadly tool.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i've tried 32's with great results on guitar, oh's, outside kick, percussion etc. however never tried them on vox. i don't know if that helps at all being that you're asking about vox but it is a great mic especially for the price.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have a used the AT 4047 on a lot of vocals over the years with good success. I came to trust it whenever I had to just "throw and go". Last year I bought a pair of KSM 32's and they have become my go-to mikes for drum overheads. I also used one recently on a female vocalist and it worked great. Not hyped, not sizzly-hashy. Nice solid midrange. Nothing really what you might call "seductive" about it, but I think that's why so like it so much. It seems pretty honest.

If you want something with a little more top, then the Mojave 201fet would be something to consider. Another good multi-purpose "workhorse" condenser. I've been using those on toms lately....

I had an SM7 once years ago but I never really made friends with it so I sold it. I would like to try another one though....
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D ➑️
I have a used the AT 4047 on a lot of vocals over the years with good success. I came to trust it whenever I had to just "throw and go". Last year I bought a pair of KSM 32's and they have become my go-to mikes for drum overheads. I also used one recently on a female vocalist and it worked great. Not hyped, not sizzly-hashy. Nice solid midrange. Nothing really what you might call "seductive" about it, but I think that's why so like it so much. It seems pretty honest.
Great synopsis.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would go with a Stellar CM5 or CM6. I prefer the cm5 myself.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Sputnik is great on voices and many instruments. I love it on flute for example.
It sounds way more expensive than it really is. Has a classy sound, bright and warm at the same time. Looks great too.
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaomega ➑️
The Sputnik is great on voices and many instruments. I love it on flute for example.
It sounds way more expensive than it really is. Has a classy sound, bright and warm at the same time. Looks great too.
Yeah! Really surprised they discontinued these. Are they going for around $500 used now?
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
+1 for the avantone cv-12!
Great vocal mic and with the right preamp sounds good in acoustic guitar also.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisHayes ➑️
Yeah! Really surprised they discontinued these. Are they going for around $500 used now?
What?!!! I didn't know that! I was thinking to buy a second one for stereo use! That means I will have to hunt one down second hand now?!
This mic is gold! Why on earth they discontinued it?!!!
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Buy an Apex 460 and/or a Bluebird and send it (them) to Michael Joly for modification. I was quite pleasantly surprised when I sent mine in, and I'll bet you will be as well...and I own vintage Neumann and RCA mics! I understand he's also building his own mics these days...can't comment on them, but I'd bet they're pretty nice too!!

Last edited by kooz; 11th February 2013 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
try the re20
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaomega ➑️
What?!!! I didn't know that! I was thinking to buy a second one for stereo use! That means I will have to hunt one down second hand now?!
This mic is gold! Why on earth they discontinued it?!!!
Yeah - been discontinued for a while now!
Old 6th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
These are all very solid mics but consider trying the Advanced Audio mics. I have not been disappointed by any of their line and I have bought a few. It is a small company that is really mostly one man in Canada, Dave Thomas. If you read the reviews you will see I am not alone in my opinion. Check out the CM47 which fits well into your price range. The C12 might also fit the bill. Good luck
πŸ“ Reply