The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alesis Elevate 3 speakers
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Alesis Elevate 3 speakers

ALESIS ELEVATE SERIES EXPANDS SPEAKER LINE-UP

Just thought I'd share...

I picked up a pair of these Elevate 3 speakers a couple weeks ago. Guitar Center matched Musician's Friend's price, which right now is $69 (I think because they're backordered).

Obviously, these are not real studio monitors. But as an extra little set of speakers to throw on a PC, or in a bedroom with an Airport Express, etc., they're excellent. Doubt you'll find better sounding speakers for $70. They look cool too. They also power off automatically after awhile if they don't receive a signal, and turn back on when they do receive a signal, with no pop. That's a pretty nice feature.

They have no bass (the bass extension switch just turns everything to mud), and they're not flat. But again, for $70, totally worth it. I'd probably even choose them at $100. Very happy with them, for what they are.

I don't think the Elevate 5 are available yet. Wonder what the street price of those will be.
Old 18th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I just picked up a couple pairs of these. Guitar Center has them on sale today for a President's Day thing - They had them on the weekend too - $50.

Overall opinion: Highs are a bit bright, lows are muddy, midrange is good.

HOWEVER...I did a little work modifying these guys. The enclosures are typical MDF, but there's nothing in 'em at all. Just an empty box. I took a bunch of polyfill and filled the cabinets with them, being sure not to overfill. Also, blocked the port with some foam, and enabled the bass boost switch.

While in stock form, the "low end" on this speaker is muddy, closing off the port with some spare auralex foam after adding the polyfill immediately tightened it up, however the sound was somewhat unbalanced due to there being less volume in the lower mids. Surprisingly, the bass-boost, which used to make these boomy speakers EXTREMELY boomy speakers, raised the bass level enough to compensate for the enclosure being sealed off.

So now, I've got tighter, more articulated mid-bass, very good midrange, sound staging, and stereo separation. I've rolled off the high end from about 10k-16k, and it's flat-out amazing how good these little speakers sound. They don't play incredibly loud, but there is plenty of volume for near field listening/monitoring.

After just a little bit of modification and mild EQing of the top-end these little speakers are in a league of their own at $50-$100.

Highly recommended post-modification. Get 'em while they're cheap, guys.
Old 6th June 2013
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Thank you GeoffS - I just got some Elevate 3's and after reading this, stuffed a few rags in the bass ports and then activated the bass boost - night and day difference. For a low end pair of monitors, they seem like they might accomplish what I need them to.
📝 Reply