Help me spend $5,000! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me spend $5,000!
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Help me spend $5,000!

Alright Sluts,

I've been steadily upgrading my home studio gear, and now I'm hungry for an outboard channel strip with a mic pre, eq, and compressor. I'm happy with a single channel (2 would be cool for the whole mix but that's not my main concern). I've been looking at the Pendulum Quartet II, the GML 2020, then Neve Portico II, and an STT-1. I know a lot of these guys are completely different beasts all together, but any advice is appreciated.

About my setup,
Monitors: KRK 8" Rokits + 10" Sub
Interface: Duet II
Mics: Baby Bottle, ST-59 multi pattern, Blueberry
Music Styles greatly range from electronic, pop, rock, and acoustic (think versatile)

Do you guys think my money would be better off spent on something other than a channel strip? I realize the Duet II will be a pain to patch into the new strip each time I use it, but I can always just get a patch bay. Or maybe I should just upgrade my interface to a Symphony and add a ribbon to my mic collection. Any thoughts?
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
All these strips are fine, it depends more on your way of working. So how DO you work?
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Well I've been tracking just mic -> Duet -> Logic and mixing ITB.

The problem is that I prefer the sound of most outboard compressors to a plugin. As far as "will I track with the channel strip or just mix with it?", well I guess that depends on the strip's pre (which I'll probably like more than the Duet's). In mixing, I would try to send out any very dynamic tracks to the channel strip and then back into my duet. Not sure if this DA/AD pathway will compound into a loss of fidelity though. Do you think mixing like this with the duet's converters is okay?
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I would upgrade the monitors, sorry to say the rokits arent very good. Ive never used the duet but from what I understand the ins and outs sound good. Acoustic treatment if you have none, and then whatever's left over you could look at a strip
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah I want to upgrade the monitors too. I think unported is the way to go for really accurate response, but should I keep the 10" sub? Maybe upgrade the rockits to exposes (still ported)? or switch brands altogether... Maybe Genelec!
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
My Advice:

Symphony 2x6, An incredible unit, and with enough I/O to do a pair of hardware inserts during mixdown. It's expandable if you ever need to add I/?O (plus multiple connection options, which would allow you to expand into a full symphony or PT rig) $2000

a pair of BM5a's. $1000. Great speakers for the money.

a $2000 channel strip of your choice, Thats' a whole other debate, but I'd look into getting into 500 series. My current fave is any of the The Rupert Neve stuff, somehow bigger then life, yet very natural sounding. They grit up pretty nice when you push them too.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsway ➑️
Yeah I want to upgrade the monitors too. I think unported is the way to go for really accurate response, but should I keep the 10" sub? Maybe upgrade the rockits to exposes (still ported)? or switch brands altogether... Maybe Genelec!

It really depends on your goals. IF you want to be a great mixer, than dont sacrifice get an amazing pair of speakers (which is subjective) but I'd say atleast in the upwards of a couple g's. If you just wanna get good mixes but could care less about being amazing than yeah good speakers will do and you can focus on your front end
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm really temped to upgrade to the Symphony so I can have outboard inserts no problem, and the 2x6 setup seems perfect. I think this might be the way to go, greenfendr. For the 500 series, I'd have to get an API Lunchbox or something like it for rack mounting the Neve stuff? Seems really expandable though, I like it! I'm looking at the Portico 543 Compressor and 511 Pre, any experience with these?

Seems like I'll get a lot more out of this 5k with the new monitors and interface!
πŸ“ Reply