Quantcast
Can keeping guitar cabs mic'd for long periods be harmful to mics? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can keeping guitar cabs mic'd for long periods be harmful to mics?
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can keeping guitar cabs mic'd for long periods be harmful to mics?

I have a stupid question that I just can't find the answer to. I'm doing lots of projects these days where I'll setup "stations" and keep things mic'd for the duration of the project. I find this to be a wonderful way of working because setting up and tearing down stuff doesn't get in the way of the creative process. I'll take down condensers every night, leaving the shockmounts up, but I like to get things like the 57's I use on guitar cabs setup in the sweet spot and leave them there. Can keeping mics on a guitar cab, which obviously brings big magnets close to the mics , for long periods be harmful to the mic?
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The situation you describe shouldn't do any harm to your mics. The magnetic field of the cab is too weak, factors to consider are dust, humidity and tiny ferromagnetic particles that want to stick to the inside of the mic - in short, how about you get a little dustcover for your mic and keep it warm while you're away? And don't let your mics lie on the ground where they can pick up stuff with their magnet.

Microphone Dust Covers | recording hacks
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/revie...ne-covers.html
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool.

I am religious about keeping mics clean and dust-free. They are never on the floor and always on a nice sturdy mic stand. The climate here is extremely dry so humidity isn't really a factor.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Most of my microphones have spent the last year and a half set up in my bands practice space. An unheated, non airconditioned drafty garage. They have been holding up just fine. I keep them covered when not in use, but they have seen temps from 10f to 110f and all sorts of humidity conditions. I know pro live sound guys who leave their gear in the trailer all year long without an issue as well. Keep them clean and they don't seem to care too much about anything else (my drum kit on the other hand... *shakes head* I am just glad I chose to keep my crap kit in the practice space.)
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Really curious about this. Destroyed a self winding watch switching out a 12" guitar speaker once. Would imagine a thin condenser membrane might be a problem but I've never experienced deterioration.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxyz ➑️
Really curious about this. Destroyed a self winding watch switching out a 12" guitar speaker once. Would imagine a thin condenser membrane might be a problem but I've never experienced deterioration.
Just don't mic the magnet.

Actually I'm having a hard time imagining how a magnet would damage a condenser capsule put I'm sure not going to test it out!
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Condensers shouldn't be a problem. They don't use magnets and even though parts of them are likely magnetic, they are all held in place relatively well.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…