Quantcast
Choosing first $1000 mic - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Choosing first $1000 mic
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Choosing first $1000 mic

So right now I'm using a blue baby bottle going through a Isa one , which is giving me pretty good quality but we all know the baby bottle is very selective on which voices it likes so i wana upgrade and will spend up to about $1300 , the at4050 looks good but I want something unique not a common mic I've been looking a these

Beesneez elly(my favorite so far)
Bock 195
Mxl revelation tube
Miktek cv4

Mostly for male vocals
Thanks guys for any input I've only had a chance to hear the elly and revelation
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I would suggest the Mojave Ma200. I've been using it for several years now and have not found anything in that price range that beats it. What I love about it is the sweet harmonic content up high and the relatively flat response which makes EQing a piece of cake when even needed.
It isn't a pure character piece, but really great at everything.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
+1 for the Beesneez. I am a big believer in Ben's mics. His tube mics (I own a Jade) are awesome.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
if i was going to spend $1300 on a mic, i'd buy used
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I own a Brauner Phantera, and it's my first choice for male vocals, usually; absolutely stunning mike, with a great proximity effect. The Beesneez are great as well, I've used a couple - lovely tone!
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Bock, Brauner, Blackspade, the b's......
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have the MA 200, and the Miktek CV4, both sound very good, the CV4 more detailed with a more extended sounding range, of these two, I prefer it. Also multipattern of course. Interestingly, I'm not in love with the looks of either mic, I guess the CV4 looks more "impressive" though, if that matters. I'm very happy with the purchase of both mics. I have reviewed both in the reviews section (I think). Good luck.
Old 30th January 2013
Deleted User
I have tried two Cv4s... one did not work whatsoever, and the other one sounded pretty good. Smooth but modern.

I do own a BeesNeez Shelise which is perfect for female vocals.

I have heard a Bock 195 used on a few sessions... another high quality mic, but it does have a distinct sound, once you learn it you can pick it out for its uniqueness.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
thanks for the all the replies guys! yes the ma 200 was another i was looking at, just i didn't find it to attractive (not that it should matter how it looks, just want someone to say when they see it say "man thats a awesome looking mic") lol but also have the sound to back it up, i see the MXL revelation, Elly and the CV4 come with shockmounts and flight cases which is semi important, but i have to say to MXL Revelation doesn't sound half bad, but compared to others its hard to tell and i have heard the cv4 is sorta a all-rounder and i believe has 9 multi patterns ...hmmmm
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageidiot ➑️
Bock, Brauner, Blackspade, the b's......
yes blackspade and brauner look very interesting, never heard one though
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Blue Blueberry if you want a vocal mic with a transformer that adds weight to your voice. A wonderful airy top and nice mids that sounds good on male and female voices.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
the cv4 is awesome!...do you have a nice pre to use?
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've got a Lauten Audio Clarion FC-357 that I'm completely over the moon for. It's got a clear open sound to it, and when you flip the polar pattern to figure-8, it takes on a ribbon-like character in the highs. Of course there are tons of awesome mics out there, but this has turned into one of my favs.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Look at a used Pearlman TM-1 tube mic around $1350! I have used mine for years and still love it!!

Last edited by axisdreamer; 30th January 2013 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: fix
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome ➑️
the cv4 is awesome!...do you have a nice pre to use?
right now i have a Isa One, but i'm also planning on getting a BAE 1073 or either 512 haven't decided yet, but thanks for input i have really have never heard anyone put down the cv4, it must be really amazing!
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by naterpotater ➑️
I've got a Lauten Audio Clarion FC-357 that I'm completely over the moon for. It's got a clear open sound to it, and when you flip the polar pattern to figure-8, it takes on a ribbon-like character in the highs. Of course there are tons of awesome mics out there, but this has turned into one of my favs.
i did take a look at the clarion but after i heard it against the other mics i listed , i decided it wasn't the mic for me but then again every one has their own preference thanks though! always love hearing other reviews!
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
here is what made me like the sound of the mxl revelation, check it guys and tell me what you think

VO Tube Mic Shootout | recording hacks
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
+1 on the David Royer designed Mojave. Also the ADK TC "AU" (tube cardioid with upgraded capsules) are in this range (47, 67, and 12 versions specifically, the 251 version is a couple hundred more), they sound excellent.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/good-...sules-wow.html
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
The Lewitt Authentica range is worth a look. I have the LCT 640 and will never look back.

I've also tried the LCT 840 (for sh*ts and giggles, it was way out of my budget at the time). They are beautifully crafted and well thought out microphones.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bock 195 through a tube pre
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My first $1,000 LDC mic was a Microtech Gefell M930... that was 10+ years ago.

I think I chose wisely.

My M930 review here

YMMV
Old 30th January 2013
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
The Pearlman TM-1 comes to mind for male vocals, if you're looking for a smooth / non-sibilant mic that very closely follows the original U47 electronics etc, it's a good one.

There are so many choices it can be mind boggling.

The Blackspade UM17R and Bock iFet both jump to mind as wow vocal mics too, again with that forgiving sibilant range.

I still need to spend time with the Lauten Atlantis, very promising and based on reports a winner.

War
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
That about narrows it down for ya

Actually, I'd vote AT 4050ST for an all-around workhorse that'll do you right.

...or a pair of 4050's for $100 over your target.
Old 30th January 2013
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
IMHO the as an "all rounder" type LDC, would pick the Studio Projects CS series over the AT4050/recent 414's. More value for dollars $pent.

Chris
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
The Pearlman TM-1 comes to mind for male vocals, if you're looking for a smooth / non-sibilant mic that very closely follows the original U47 electronics etc, it's a good one.

There are so many choices it can be mind boggling.

The Blackspade UM17R and Bock iFet both jump to mind as wow vocal mics too, again with that forgiving sibilant range.

I still need to spend time with the Lauten Atlantis, very promising and based on reports a winner.

War
Starting to lean towards the bock more n more
Old 31st January 2013
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Since you've effectively raised the budget to around 2K, +1 on the TM-1...

Chris
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
just did more research on the blackspade um17 and wow nobody dislikes this mic, i think i may just have to get this one! does anyone know if it does have that u47ish sound as it claims? and the price is amazing at $1000 could save that extra cash and purchase more gear! lol
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov ➑️
Since you've effectively raised the budget to around 2K, +1 on the TM-1...

Chris
dont get me wrong i fell in love with the tm-1 but i may just save the cash for now and see how the um17 does!
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've had the Miktek CV4 and it's fine, but I think the ADK TT-Au custom shop tube mics generally sound bigger and smoother and are a bit more versatile. They're multi-pattern and if you're a tweaker you can change the tube. Nothing against the CV4, I just prefer the TT (12-Au in my case).
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
just got a email back from dave over at AA mics and all i gota say is wow his CM47se seems to be a real competitor so i have ultimately have narrowed it down to the blackspade um17 or the AA CM47se (both mics priced around the same, and save me some cash and get more gear.
πŸ“ Reply