Choosing first $1000 mic - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Choosing first $1000 mic
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Suckah!!

Read past reviews. Recs. notice how they change every year or so. The two potential reasons? The quality of inexpensive MICS (and $1k is chump change for an LdC) just keep improving hand over fist like they're run by microprocessors. Or, companies change names and model numbers repeatedly to discount past reviews and actual usesge over time reviews. "sure THAT one wasn't great, but THIS one...spot on!"

The answer to solid low budget recording isn't expensive and it isn't sexy. There are ranges of mics that have been making records for years and years that a self overdubbing recording artist can have a collection for $1k that will do everything...better than whatever import LDC of the Week.

Feel free to ignore me. Look at all the folks who chime in here to contradict. I must be wrong, being in the minority on the Internet, right? Ha...
Old 31st January 2013
Deleted User
I have heard all the AA mics and while they are good I feel like your initial thoughts with the Cv4/MA200/Bees Neez will serve you better. You want to get a heavy duty product, keep that in mind.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I vote Blackspade, Oliver has been the man for quite some time, not just a GS flavor of the month. AA and Dave are great as well, he knows his mics too having engineered at studios for many years. I hate to vote against either guy, both very good.....
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I chose the Peluso 2247 SE for this and I have been very happy to this day. Mostly use it for male vocal, but also sometimes drums or amps or some other thing.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The first over a grand mic I ever bought was the AKG 414 B/ULS back in the late 80's. Only recording mic I'd had before that was a Sennheiser 441 and actually sold it to buy the 414. Many years later, read a stellar review on the Rode NTV (originally sold for $1295 like the 414 at the time) and scored one on ebay for less than four bills, put a Mullard tube in it and it's special. At any rate, I don't care about versatility per se, I just want mics that sound good on me and my gal partner. A bud of mine has brought down a bunch of expensive mics, the best I've ever sang through was a Brauner VM-1 and they are sort of crazy expensive, but wow, best thing I've ever sang over. He also got a Brauner Phanthera and did a bunch of shoot outs with that one as well. Anyway, on ME, the Phanthera might be the best sounding mic I've ever sang on (besides the VM-1). Anyway, finally talked him into selling me the Phanthera, and I'm glad. It's really all about the mids, and this mic is just perfect. The Phanthera is suppose to sound like a tube mic without a tube and it does in spades, but I compared a take in the mix compared to the VM-1 and with a bunch of tracks going on, the Phanthera did to my vocal what the VM-1 did pretty much. We've shot out a ton of mics and the Brauner ones just stand above the pack!
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
IMHO having tried a TON of budget-read under $500-LDC's out (well it was fun)...

Generally, they can tend to be one (or two) trick ponies

As I stated earlier in this thread, the first budget all rounder LDC that sounds quite expensive and sonically flexible to me is the neutral-ish SP CS series. Right up there with the AT4050, for example. (I like their brighter B1 too YMMV).

I don't know if it'll work for the OP, but there's an inexpensive AKG dynamic
(D790) that I picked up for $60. On my voice, it'll even give a number of 1K+
LDC's(!) a run for the money. Just heard a buddy's new CD, and the vocals sound like their cut with something like a U87ai. Guess what, it was just a 'umble Shure Beta 58a (I like that one and the Beta 57a BTW too).

Anyway, my point is that you may want to subtract some "spare change" (three hundred or less), and get at least two vocal mics.

Chris
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
was looking at a couple of other threads and for the price of under $1000 the adk tc 67, adk tt, se electronics z5600a all sound pretty good!
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
...IMHO, the Blackspade mics are excellent, but only if you spring for the upgraded (and costly) capsule options (Thiersch M7 or Tim Campbell C12)...same goes for the ADK choices...(although you could buy the base level versions now, and opt for the same capsule upgrades later via JJ Audio, and still save money over the factory upgraded versions)...

...Dave Thomas' tube mics are terrific, but you can get the very same build and component quality from Stellar and Gauge at lower cost...for example, you like the Advanced Audio CM-12?...take a good close look at the Stellar CM-5...and the CM-6 gets you very close to the Miktek CV4's modern "pop radio" sound for a fraction of the cost...

...Ben Sneesby's BeesNeez "Studio Series" mics offer some very high-quality options at reasonable pricing...from those I've owned/used, the Arabella GT stands out (coming very close to the Pearlman TM-1's classic tonal territory)...Sneesby hand-tensions his own K67, C12, K47 and M7 signature capsules (which have been praised by the likes of Klaus Heyne) rather than use chinese-built capsules (as used in the more costly Telefunken RFT series mics)...

...JJ Audio offers some very high-quality custom modded mics with a choice of highest-quality components and classic circuit designs...capsule options from Thiersch, Campbell, ADK Custom Shop, as well as more affordable sources...transformers by Cinemag, Lundahl, AMI and more...Jim Jacobsen knows mics!...

...I speak of mics I've owned or demo'ed...I open the hoods, examine the build quality and components, and capsule type/source...and I compare them, often head to head on the same sources...there are, without a doubt, some excellent options available at very affordable prices these days...

...swapping out cheaper stock Russian and Chinese tubes with high-quality NOS tubes can elevate performance and tweak tonality, so choose valve mics with socketed tubes over those with fixed/soldered subminiatures, if you want the option to "roll tubes" and modify/fine-tune the mic's sound more easily...

...and do your best to steer clear of the classic references (U47, U67, C12, 251, etc)...that's a holy grail hunt, not worth the effort...people debate endlessly over these "clone's" validity, and it's a waste of time IMHO...you want a clone?...move over to the DIY forums and warm up your soldering iron...those guys are doing it right, and affordably...otherwise, choose mics based on what helps you best achieve your musical goals, not what numerical designation is stamped on the body...those classic numerical references may help you get in the ballpark of a sound you desire, but leave it at that...don't get caught up in the hype...

...just my observations, as a confessed value-minded tube-mic maven...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I think you should seriously consider checking out Telefunken CU-29 Copperhead, AR-51, and AK-47 too. I like T-Funk mics and I've heard that the Copperhead is a real stand out on vocals. I've owned an AR-51 (which I bought used for $1200 btw) and it was seriously nice. Like, instant pop vocal with no eq.

Other than that, I've owned a Bock 195 and it was pretty excellent. It DOES have a sound (some have described it as "glassy"), but it is very solid. It is also very versatile with the Fat/Normal switch, and you will also get a lot of mileage with it on all kinds of instruments.
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
MJE-K47H Capsule Head plus MK-012-01

Award-winning microphone engineering from Michael Joly

AA CM12-SE

Advanced Audio Microphones
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes ➑️
...IMHO, the Blackspade mics are excellent, but only if you spring for the upgraded (and costly) capsule options (Thiersch M7 or Tim Campbell C12)...same goes for the ADK choices...(although you could buy the base level versions now, and opt for the same capsule upgrades later via JJ Audio, and still save money over the factory upgraded versions)...

...Dave Thomas' tube mics are terrific, but you can get the very same build and component quality from Stellar and Gauge at lower cost...for example, you like the Advanced Audio CM-12?...take a good close look at the Stellar CM-5...and the CM-6 gets you very close to the Miktek CV4's modern "pop radio" sound for a fraction of the cost...

...Ben Sneesby's BeesNeez "Studio Series" mics offer some very high-quality options at reasonable pricing...from those I've owned/used, the Arabella GT stands out (coming very close to the Pearlman TM-1's classic tonal territory)...Sneesby hand-tensions his own K67, C12, K47 and M7 signature capsules (which have been praised by the likes of Klaus Heyne) rather than use chinese-built capsules (as used in the more costly Telefunken RFT series mics)...

...JJ Audio offers some very high-quality custom modded mics with a choice of highest-quality components and classic circuit designs...capsule options from Thiersch, Campbell, ADK Custom Shop, as well as more affordable sources...transformers by Cinemag, Lundahl, AMI and more...Jim Jacobsen knows mics!...

...I speak of mics I've owned or demo'ed...I open the hoods, examine the build quality and components, and capsule type/source...and I compare them, often head to head on the same sources...there are, without a doubt, some excellent options available at very affordable prices these days...

...swapping out cheaper stock Russian and Chinese tubes with high-quality NOS tubes can elevate performance and tweak tonality, so choose valve mics with socketed tubes over those with fixed/soldered subminiatures, if you want the option to "roll tubes" and modify/fine-tune the mic's sound more easily...

...and do your best to steer clear of the classic references (U47, U67, C12, 251, etc)...that's a holy grail hunt, not worth the effort...people debate endlessly over these "clone's" validity, and it's a waste of time IMHO...you want a clone?...move over to the DIY forums and warm up your soldering iron...those guys are doing it right, and affordably...otherwise, choose mics based on what helps you best achieve your musical goals, not what numerical designation is stamped on the body...those classic numerical references may help you get in the ballpark of a sound you desire, but leave it at that...don't get caught up in the hype...

...just my observations, as a confessed value-minded tube-mic maven...
appreciate it man, i kno u kno these mics back n fourth and yup the blackspade um17r def looks like it would be alot better then just the stock um17 so i think ill stay within my new budget $500-900 see how it goes and test some out n just pick up a bae 1073 while im at it...or even a wa12 like u said
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes ➑️

Thank you for saying it like this.

I feel like a BN mic is truly made to perform whereas an AA mic, while in some situations may sound great, craps out when pushed and never feels solid. I know this is a hard thing to describe but I think you will agree with me once you get these mics in you hands and are able to try them out. Again the MA-200, Cv4 and other choices I would say are well built machines but BN I think are unbeatable for the price in terms of being a hammer. You want something you can use to hit the nail in the head and it is not an easy task, with any budget. Good luck with your microphone search. Let us know what you decide.
Old 14th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
well since my original choice was beesneez, i think i will just save for it, i talked to veronica over at beesneez and their layby plans are incredibly flexible! and i've never heard of anyone saying their mics were bad, and from what i've heard in clips, is exactly what i'm looking for,they sound amazing.
Old 16th February 2013
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
miktek

get the miktek. i have the cv4, and even tho i also have a joly-modified nady tube 1050 that now sounds like a u47, i prefer the miktek; it just sounds great on singing and on guitars, cabinets. haven't tried piano or horns, but probably fine there, too. i doubt you could go wrong.
Old 16th February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Did you think about a Neuman TLM 103 ?
This is one of my most used allround Mics - I even use it more often than expensive mics like VM 1.
πŸ“ Reply