Quantcast
Where do you roll off guitar cabs - esp. when it's an IR cab? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Where do you roll off guitar cabs - esp. when it's an IR cab?
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Where do you roll off guitar cabs - esp. when it's an IR cab?

I do all my electric guitars through Amplitube 3 and external IR's that I've collected over the years. Got some really good ones that sit in different styles just perfectly. Last couple of tracks I've been doing stuff in the hybrid hip-hop/metal style - Linkin Park-ish stuff. Kept chasing my tail for days trying to find the overall harshness in the mix until voila - I just starting low passing stuff. I found out that I didn't NEED anything above 7/8k on those distorted guitars. I've always rolled off lows, depending on the the track maybe higher or lower, but never such a drastic high end roll off...

Those of y'all miking up real amps & cabs, is this the case for you very often? Or am I just dealing with a genre-specific clashing (synths, high hats, etc. sizzle up there above 10k a lot, so I'm curious) and amp modeling issues?

Blessings,
Matt
Old 28th January 2013
Deleted User
I have been "low-passing" guitar amps since 1977. Trash is trash, get rid of all that "hash".
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If you look at the characterstics of guitar speakers, they start a serious drop in response from around 5k and up. At 20k they can be 50db down compared to 1-2KHz. So the short answer is that you don't need anything much above 7 or 8KHz because there's pretty much nothing worthwhile beyond that.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So... good. It's reassuring that I'm not getting some craziness in my signal or imagining I'm hearing things. I always remember to high-pass my channels whenever needed but I think I need to do the same on the top end to keep things open up there, too... Makes sense once you say it out loud. Thanks, y'all.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Where do you roll off guitar cabs? Usually from the window of a tall building, at least ten floors up works for me. </jerks chain>
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhorsie777 ➑️
I do all my electric guitars through Amplitube 3 and external IR's that I've collected over the years. Got some really good ones that sit in different styles just perfectly. Last couple of tracks I've been doing stuff in the hybrid hip-hop/metal style - Linkin Park-ish stuff. Kept chasing my tail for days trying to find the overall harshness in the mix until voila - I just starting low passing stuff. I found out that I didn't NEED anything above 7/8k on those distorted guitars. I've always rolled off lows, depending on the the track maybe higher or lower, but never such a drastic high end roll off...

Those of y'all miking up real amps & cabs, is this the case for you very often? Or am I just dealing with a genre-specific clashing (synths, high hats, etc. sizzle up there above 10k a lot, so I'm curious) and amp modeling issues?

Blessings,
Matt

typically 6k with celestions

but you can just turn the presence down and tweak the treble on the amp.
those modelers have lots of fizz going on
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Guitar EQ/Compression

When using amp sims I go into a UA610 and cut 4.5 dB at 100 Hz, and actually Boost at 4.5 dB 10 K. Then I use 4:1 compression with a slow attack and fast release on a 1176. I record at a fairly low level, with highest peaks at about -6 dB. This gives me a sound I am happy with. But there's nothing like blasting a real amp and micing it up. My neighbors don't share my enthusiasm though.

Last edited by AC Long; 30th January 2013 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: mistake
Old 30th January 2013
Deleted 04d60e1
Probably right around the same area. 8khz-ish area. But with amp sims I always notch out a good chunk thats right around 5khz. I always find the most obnoxious unmusical hiss right there. You can get rid of a lot of it without effecting the presence of the guitars much at all.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
this site is full of helpful hints.
thanks folks!
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I just roll it down until it starts to sound weird then go up a little from there and do the same with the HPF. It's not rocket science.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
what's an IR cab?
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Impulse response file... Like a convolution reverb. The quality still trounces every speaker sim I've ever tried (and that's just about all of em built into the modelers)
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Amp Sim EQ!

Like I posted before, I like to use good old analog eq to boost at 10k before hitting the converters, then I play with the bass, mid, high and presence knobs on the amp sim. I find that turning down presence all the way and keeping the high at about 3 or 4 gives me a good sound and doesn't sound harsh to my ears. It could be the guitar that is giving you harshness. What guitar are you using? What preamp? Any compression before the converters? I use a Les Paul Studio with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge into the UA6176.
πŸ“ Reply