One Thing that changed your life. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
One Thing that changed your life.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
One Thing that changed your life.

Hey guys.

Trying to create a cool thread that everyone of all skill levels can learn something from.

So name one piece of gear (hardware or software) and the technique you use with it, that forever changed your sound and your life!

If you want to make this thread more manageable for people to sift through I suggest maybe making a title with the gear and technique and have the explanation underneath it. Anyways you guys make that call.

Thanks to all those willing to share their "secrets" for the rest to benefit from
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Switching from a razor blade to Sound Designer II.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
UAD Neve 33609
Always had problems with my 2bus. When I used this PulgIn at first I knew this was the Solution to it...Very light Ratio - 1.5 to 2 max. Works magic;-)
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I am relatively young cat but mixing on NS10s for the first time.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Buying my software instead of pirating it.

Forced me to learn how to use what I have.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Exploring sound waves using SoundEdit on my Mac Plus in 1991.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by npatro22 ➑️
I am relatively young cat but mixing on NS10s for the first time.
Great stuff so far.

I'm going to piggy back off this one. Mine was the Focal Solo 6's

They really changed how I heard sound. It became much easier to hear how great records sounded and I was able to use that knowledge in my own projects.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My Dad letting me play around with his reel to reel recorder back in the 60's.

This started my love of recording music and all the gear associated with it....
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Getting an electric guitar....was 16 all downhill from there ... in a good way
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernMixing ➑️
Great stuff so far.

I'm going to piggy back off this one. Mine was the Focal Solo 6's

They really changed how I heard sound. It became much easier to hear how great records sounded and I was able to use that knowledge in my own projects.
Me too.. the Focals allow me to hear the space or lack of and dynamics in a way no other neirfield monitors even come close to, Cant mix without them.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Famous Producer - Duncan Maguire

An Old Australian Engineer/Producer/Bass Player Talent - Once I was kinda forced to attend a concert with my ext- Family....a touch bored and curious, (I was 8-9 years old) I asked one of the guys from the band what were all these faders doing on this desk, and why did this guy sit in a perspex like booth above the main audience seating in the old and beautiful theatre! I don't know how, why or why he even thought to show me but his brain and instinct told him to tell the kid! - "I'll take a minute before the show etc"....though this dude, indeed a very cool cat, showed me from my aged memory a very old 24 channel Yamaha Live console, went through the channel strip with me, & when I asked why...why are their so Many Buttons etc the cool cat told me all faders save X,Y, & Z etc that were the same...THIS..Blew my mind! I was hooked, my mind exploded! My 1st Audiogasm! That Bass Player that night was the - Famous Australian Producer Duncan Maguire - whom after working with numerous "Class Australian Acts" Recorded INXS' 1st Album. He died of a brain Tumour in 1986/1987. From 1982 I have not stopped in Pro Audio - I owe everything to 1 man whom took the time and inspired a young kid!

Often it's not the equipment in your life - though the people!
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Wow, where do I start.

Let's start here:

1)
Discovering the V-technique in mixing, that was not a bad day. For those of you who don't know what the V-technique in mixing is, it's this: The low frequency instruments you keep in the center. Higher and higher frequencies you move farther and farther on the sides. This has the effect of creating "pleasant" sounding mixes. Later a syngergy effect was discovered by separating out the mid and side to dedicated tracks and putting high frequency reverbs on the sides.

2)
Discovering the importance of building the mixes around the highest impact sound source - drums and then mixing in the other sound sources one by one against the drums according to priority

3)
Discovering the true nature of the signal chain, the fact that you want to create synergy effects between components, these synergy effects increase when you boost the performance of each component in isolation, by making each component in the signal chain as uniquely textured as possible

4)
Discovering the impact of impact, which was found to be how well the mix signal is distributed. This discovery resulted in a theory that dedicated default gain staging creates higher final impact than random/no default gain staging, a theory I later concluded was true

5)
Discovering that specific speakers and specific headphones can be used to create specific sound characteristics

6)
Discovering that to succeed with monitoring the room frequencies must be overcome first of all, which is about making the right speaker design choice against the given application primarily, then secondarily treating the room acoustically to make it perfect

7)
Discovering that automation is the primary mixing tool for establishing groove

8)
Discovering this interview on YouTube and realising I'm as passionate about music as she is...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb8lYOSNhQI

I could go on and on I feel like. There's so much more out there waiting to be discovered...!
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hmmmm Interesting, - erm.....others?
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I bought a pair LA-610's and everything I recorded sounded better.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Though did it "CHANGE YOUR LIFE"?
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
No peaks over -6, aka mixing ITB, aka proper gain staging.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Renoise.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Learning under a master changed my life:

Starting an an intern in a real recording studio, working my way up, EARNING the hot seat... Having a real engineer to TEACH me (First Jerry Dornbusch, then Phil Bonanno) what the "rules" were... and after I got those, how to break them for fun and profit!

When you start by sweeping the floors and taking out the trash, and get "promoted" to cleaning up cables after a session... you start to have a sense of ownership in a facility. that makes all the work you do there have meaning, and therefore makes you personally invested in the quality of your work.

I've been able to take that feeling with me years later.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
My guitar.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgoobs ➑️
Exploring sound waves using SoundEdit on my Mac Plus in 1991.
Hell yeah!

For me, though, it was Ed Bogas's Studio Session, also on a Mac Plus in...what....1987 or something. Four tracks that you programmed with actual scores, and which would play a bunch of different instruments in low-fi glory. Later you could import your own files from SoundEdit, which was a VERY badass thing! It was a pretty good first take on a DAW, and made terrific use of limited horsepower.

Really opened up my musical world and set me on a very fun path.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
- Investing in real acoustic treatment, meaning, getting a custom built room treatment kit made by Primacoustic, not stopping there by adding a 6" thick 24x48 Roxul80 panel under the couch in the back of my room as well as 2 4" thick 24x48 Roxul80 panels behind the desk in the front of the room. What I hear in my control room is what I hear in my living room, car and boombox. FINALLY!!(only took 8 years).

-Treating my live room for flexibility, not just so drums sound good. Guess what? Drums still sound badass!!

- Investing in a real computer. 3.6ghz Quad Core 2011 Chipset, 16gb ram, 750w psu. Done and done. No more worrying about whether I can get a mix done or where I'll have to sacrifice so I don't fry my CPU or crash a session.

- Investing in real conversion (Lynx Aurora16 & Ross Martin) instead of abiding by the idea that most converters nowadays are 'way better than what we had in the 90's, man!'.

- Taking a real hard look at my place in the local marketplace, realizing what my strengths and weaknesses were and altering or improving both to suit the 'actual' clients that knock or call.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothVibe ➑️
Wow, where do I start.

Let's start here:

1)
Discovering the V-technique in mixing, that was not a bad day. For those of you who don't know what the V-technique in mixing is, it's this: The low frequency instruments you keep in the center. Higher and higher frequencies you move farther and farther on the sides. This has the effect of creating "pleasant" sounding mixes. Later a syngergy effect was discovered by separating out the mid and side to dedicated tracks and putting high frequency reverbs on the sides.

2)
Discovering the importance of building the mixes around the highest impact sound source - drums and then mixing in the other sound sources one by one against the drums according to priority

3)
Discovering the true nature of the signal chain, the fact that you want to create synergy effects between components, these synergy effects increase when you boost the performance of each component in isolation, by making each component in the signal chain as uniquely textured as possible

4)
Discovering the impact of impact, which was found to be how well the mix signal is distributed. This discovery resulted in a theory that dedicated default gain staging creates higher final impact than random/no default gain staging, a theory I later concluded was true

5)
Discovering that specific speakers and specific headphones can be used to create specific sound characteristics

6)
Discovering that to succeed with monitoring the room frequencies must be overcome first of all, which is about making the right speaker design choice against the given application primarily, then secondarily treating the room acoustically to make it perfect

7)

8)
Discovering this interview on YouTube and realising I'm as passionate about music as she is...
ACM Acoustic 2012 - Ep.7: Kelleigh Bannen - YouTube

I could go on and on I feel like. There's so much more out there waiting to be discovered...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhames ➑️
I bought a pair LA-610's and everything I recorded sounded better.
agreed.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Though did it "CHANGE YOUR LIFE"?
Yes. Having the LA-610's, I realized how much quality gear affects recording quality. So, Wunder Audio, Great River, Apogee, Neumann, Chandler Ltd, Telefunken, Emperical Labs, Microtech Gefell, Earthworks, UAD, DW, Hammond/Leslie, and many other brands, welcome aboard!
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Realizing that a good recording starts with the guy playing the Instrument ;-)
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
If you can't hear it, you can't mix it.

Great monitoring in a great room.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne ➑️
Realizing that a good recording starts with the guy playing the Instrument ;-)

lol. This is seems like it would be obvious but it really does have be said and said often!!
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
My first real amp (Marshall) and guitar (Gibson SG). Life would never be the same.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Discovering this thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
There's already been some great stuff posted and a few in regards to technique. Im interested to hear more in certain techniques that people came into that helped them get better sounds.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothVibe ➑️
Wow, where do I start.

Let's start here:

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)
ACM Acoustic 2012 - Ep.7: Kelleigh Bannen - YouTube

Very informative! Thanks!

fb
πŸ“ Reply