Deleted a08cf2a
"Black Dog" and 20 years later
HD1s
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman ➡️
LOL!!

I understand the differences between a 'right' and a 'privilege', but it still doesn't make it seem 'right' that by law it's WAY harder to get a drivers license than own a gun, regardless of what the law says.
Did you sleep during civics class? A drivers license is 'priviledge' under state law. It can be revoked for any reason they see fit.

Gun ownership is a 'right', read the second admendment if you have a copy.
Personally, I prefer to exersize my rights as specified under the U.S Constitution. You also have the right to not exersize it. You do not have a right to drive.

If you have ever been a crime victim, I don't need to explain to you my reasons to exersize my rights. My studio is well protected here, is yours?

BTW, a couple of days ago a friend was robbed at knife-point and car-jacked in El Cajon, a San Diego 'suburb'. The cops quickly picked up the perp. The 'victim' has identified the perp in a line up and is ready to testify.

Now the El Cajon police dept. has let the guy go, no charges, no explanation. This happens every day.

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six". YMMV.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Politics on music web forums is awesome.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jim, please read my post you quoted.

I said exactly that I understand the differences between a 'privilege' and a 'right'.

Thanks for the suggestion that I shouldn't 'sleep' while in class.

Here's a suggestion for you: Try to comprehend posts you quote, at the very least.

I wasn't saying that a drivers lic is a 'right', I was saying it doesn't seem 'right' that it's only a privilege while owning a gun is an actual 'right'.

You can disagree of course, and of course the law would agree with you. But Laws can and have changed. Prohibition was an amendment, then it was repealed by another amendment.

Anyway, if you want to continue my 'civics' lessen, start a thread in the moan zoan and post the link.
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgoobs ➡️

Politics on music web forums is awesome.
Yeah, and equally as awesome is that probably over on a forum on some political site is a thread polluted with off-topic arguments about whether its a right or a privilege to use AutoTune.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalgear ➡️
"Black Dog" and 20 years later
HD1s
I think you meant "Ten Years Gone"
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 ➡️
Yeah, and equally as awesome is that probably over on a forum on some political site is a thread polluted with off-topic arguments about whether its a right or a privilege to use AutoTune.
Lol. Good one

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Gearslutz App
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
ITJ
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➡️
That was only the second generation. I listened to a reunion of the original A-Team about a decade ago that was mind-boggling. One 57 in the middle of Studio B would have gotten you the Countrypolitan sound of the '50s. Bill Porter used 12. I don't think those guys had the slightest idea of how good they really were.

They walked in literally expecting a train-wreck because they hadn't played together without headphones since the mid '60s. Halfway into the first tune you should have seen the look of amazement on their faces!

Great info Bob, I always enjoy your post.

Players always make the difference.
Old 2nd February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I would say the api 3124 for me.

My first good pre's were a pair of LA-610's. Great pre's, but fairly complex and hard to understand coming from the single knob of a digi003 pre. I was so focused on all the new knobs and what I thought I was supposed to do with them that I really didn't pay much attention to mic placement. I then got an api 3124, and there wasn't really anything to fiddle with, just a single knob. All you have to do is turn it clockwise to increase the awesome (just make sure there's not too much awesome). Before the api, if I didn't like what I was hearing, I would immediately assume that messing with all the controls I didn't understand was the answer. The api is just gain. If it doesn't sound good, the only option is to go mess with the mic. Then, wouldn't ya know it... Mic placement matters! The microphone you use matters!

It was that newb awakening moment. It's easy to think you're recordings suck because your gear sucks, or think that gear is the answer to everything. The api's made me realize I sucked at recording and needed to put some time and effort into learning the fundamentals.

[deleted by mod]

Last edited by [email protected]; 2nd February 2013 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Sensitive/political issue
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd say for me it was hearing a hardware compressor and eq on a vocal track. I bought a tube-tech channel strip after falling in love with softubes cl1b emulation.

I had only used software compression and eq and as soon as I ran my vox through this compressor and eq I was floored.

I realized the saturation was so beautiful from the tubes, and when I cut stuff using the eq it didn't steal the life out of it like some digital eq's can do so easily.
Also the top end on the analog eq was just beautiful and wasn't all thin and annoying sounding like the majority of digital eq's top end.

That being said, I still do love and enjoy using plugins.
But for vocals, this was the one area I'm not willing to cut corners.
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Seeing the Beatles perform for the first time on Ed Sullivan. That was the mother of all changes. Then, getting a set of drums. Then playing music. then writing songs.
Smaller things: First four track (Tascam 3440). First mixer (Studiomaster 8x2). First digital reverb (Digitech something). First delay (MXR, pretty big change, delay is still a favorite technique).
More recent (within last two decades): Good monitors. First computer. Logic, Metric Halo, good microphones, good outboard. Finally, a great room. That was a pretty big change too. If I could do it all over again, I'd start with the room, and the monitors.
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Seeing a clip of Bob Marley and the Wailers in the studio recording 'Lively Up Yourself'.

I was in my late teens, and working hard at playing drums along to Rush, Genesis and Queen records. I judged music mostly based on how 'complex' it was -- especially the drum part. But when I saw that 'Lively Up Yourself' clip (from a music documentary I'm still searching for, BTW), something in my brain clicked and I was entranced at how music so "simple" could have such depth and intricacy and impact somehow nestled in the microseconds of subtle timing and dynamic variations otherwise known as 'Groove'.

I changed my attitude to the drums - and music in general - almost immediately. It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing. STILL striving for that groove, dammit.
📝 Reply