Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Learning that filters are your friend.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Leaving Los Angeles.

Best thing I ever did was "Escape From LA".
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothVibe ➑️
Wow, where do I start.

Let's start here:

1)
Discovering the V-technique in mixing, that was not a bad day. For those of you who don't know what the V-technique in mixing is, it's this: The low frequency instruments you keep in the center. Higher and higher frequencies you move farther and farther on the sides. This has the effect of creating "pleasant" sounding mixes. Later a syngergy effect was discovered by separating out the mid and side to dedicated tracks and putting high frequency reverbs on the sides.

2)
Discovering the importance of building the mixes around the highest impact sound source - drums and then mixing in the other sound sources one by one against the drums according to priority

3)
Discovering the true nature of the signal chain, the fact that you want to create synergy effects between components, these synergy effects increase when you boost the performance of each component in isolation, by making each component in the signal chain as uniquely textured as possible

4)
Discovering the impact of impact, which was found to be how well the mix signal is distributed. This discovery resulted in a theory that dedicated default gain staging creates higher final impact than random/no default gain staging, a theory I later concluded was true

5)
Discovering that specific speakers and specific headphones can be used to create specific sound characteristics

6)
Discovering that to succeed with monitoring the room frequencies must be overcome first of all, which is about making the right speaker design choice against the given application primarily, then secondarily treating the room acoustically to make it perfect

7)
Discovering that automation is the primary mixing tool for establishing groove

8)
Discovering this interview on YouTube and realising I'm as passionate about music as she is...
ACM Acoustic 2012 - Ep.7: Kelleigh Bannen - YouTube

I could go on and on I feel like. There's so much more out there waiting to be discovered...!

Nicely done. Thanks!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️
Leaving Los Angeles.

Lol, nice.

But curious as to why that helped?
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Slipperman's "Recording Distorted Guitars from Hell".
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Vintage Neve pre, in love.

Sent from my ZTE N9120
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My 1966 Vibrolux and my api a2d.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My linndrum. The backbone of my music. Auratones. My mixes entered a new world with them. So cheap but sooooooo effective!
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
First time using the (Nacamichi version of the) Sony F1 to record my band in the early 90's. Put 2 PZMs on the floor and recorded the whole club gig onto a VCR. The thrill I felt listening back to a real digital recording I made for the first time.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
**Getting my second guitar, a 1989 MIJ Fender Strat. That birthed a deeper love affair with not only the instrument, but with sound itself.

**Coming to the reality that there is always going to be people out there better at stuff than I am, but there is no-one with my personality, heart and emotions, which I'm coming to learn some people will hire over the hot shot with the chops.

**Never being too big to pay my dues, even if I think they should already have been paid by now. This has opened up many doors through just "being in the right place at the right time".

That's all for now
-Rob
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️
Leaving Los Angeles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernMixing ➑️
Lol, nice.

It helped the rest of us remaining in LA.

Sorry, couldn't resist
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman ➑️
It helped the rest of us remaining in LA.

Sorry, couldn't resist
Old 30th January 2013
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
The time the producer showed the keyboard player a riff and I heard the piano sound instantly change from one I was very unhappy with to the best I'd ever heard without me touching a single thing.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Watching Brenden O'Brian do parallel compression.

AND working for Ricky Keller.

They say most people have 5 or 6 choices that change their lives.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
There's already been some great stuff posted and a few in regards to technique. Im interested to hear more in certain techniques that people came into that helped them get better sounds.
using a distant room mic, either to blend with a close mic, or just scrap the close micing and go with the distant mic.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne ➑️
UAD Neve 33609
Always had problems with my 2bus. When I used this PulgIn at first I knew this was the Solution to it...Very light Ratio - 1.5 to 2 max. Works magic;-)
+1 on this plug too..
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A pair of Avedis MA5s
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Still pretty new to this, and still learning, but here's my list:

Room treatment
my JBL LSRs
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnytofu ➑️
Learning that filters are your friend.
...this!

It's amazing what a difference filters can make. I've started running HPF and LPF on EVERYTHING! Hello space...
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
clip gain
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
1) stop recording everything in stereo "just because"

2) start using more omni mics

3) mix more aggressively
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I`m tempted to say that my life changed drastically the moment i was born.
Realizing that i do indeed have a certain way i want things to sound and that it differs greatly from my all time favorite band/artists .
I discovered this the day i started to dislike the sonics of several records i`ve been listening to for years .
Personal taste is always a sum of several things instead of one style in particular .
This is the moment when serious confidence kicks in
Old 30th January 2013
Deleted 651cf92
First time I heard Hot Buttered Soul by Issac Hayes
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
There's already been some great stuff posted and a few in regards to technique. Im interested to hear more in certain techniques that people came into that helped them get better sounds.
That would have to be automation. Once I realized that everything could be automated my mixing horizon opened wide.

I like to picture the whole band standing at the console doing fader moves on cue.......or even not on cue.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not going on a weekend houseboat trip with my room mate in San Diego in 1977. I got a phone call. Joined a band. It effected the next few years.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Beeing in a recording studio asking if I can use their phone cuz I lost mine including my wallet. I didnt want to get picked up from this awsome building. Thats where I decided to make music myself. Funny story, true happening
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Cool thread.

The one thing that helped relax my mind is that the idea of moving the mic around to find the sweet spot is really not some magical spot. It is a spot that changes as you change, as your skills change. The more you do it, the more you know what you want/need for the song so you will ALREADY have the sound in mind before you start moving the mic and finding the spot is really just getting as close to the sound in your mind as you can.

jB
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Lo-cuts. So freaking important.
Old 30th January 2013
Deleted 99dc753
Quote:
So name one piece of gear (hardware or software) and the technique you use with it, that forever changed your sound and your life!
To be true - there is no GEAR that will do so.

Those things change my life, but not an LA2A or anything like this.

Making music together with talented friends.
Sharing time with my family.
Being thankful for living in a country in peace and harmony (no wars happening here in germany)
Having fun transcribing music of great musicians.
I dont have to worry to get food even the next day, another thing I am thankful for.

I think if I would be thankful for owning cool gear, may something would be wrong in my head...... and I should consider to see a MD- Psychiatrist soon.
Gear Guru
Quote:
Lol, nice.

No different than when someone escapes death and feels alive for the first time in their life.

LA was death. Carlsbad is life. I choose life. YMMV.

My other best gear purchase was my Colt AR-15 M4 carbine. It protects all my other gear.

Sorry Diane Feinstein, I got my LE6920 "California edition" before you can outlaw them, again.
πŸ“ Reply