Quantcast
Is it different sound in for ex Prism and Lynx ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is it different sound in for ex Prism and Lynx ?
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Is it different sound in for ex Prism and Lynx ?

Hi all sound experts ! What is the difference between a medium budget interface and a "state of the art" interface ? Is the sound so enormous better in a Prism ,Apollo , Lynx for ex.
If you compare these with Motu .RME and others for about 1500 US dollar . I am a newbei with studio stuff so I bought my Motu UltraLite mk3 Hybrid on recommendations .
I´m pretty satisfied with the sound quality . But I´m saving money to buy a "really" high quality interface . I have very good ears . So when I bought my first studiomonitors it took a long time of listening before I found my "dreamspeakers" : Dynaudio BM5A MKII ( I couldn´t afford Dyns higher level ) . But I fell in love with their sound .
Where I live (in the countryside in Sweden it´s almost impossible to have a chance to listen to Prism and the other high end interfaces , but when I buy a new I want some "really" good one, that also have better drivers for PC than Motu has . But the sound and converters is (so far I know) the most important. What else is important ? I´m making electroacoustic music with a mix of sound I´ve recorded and vsti . You can hear my music on my website : Home - Cajan Music
My setup is just now : Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1 . i7 2600K 3.40GHz . RAM 16GB .Motherboard : Asus P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 . Graphiccard : Gigabyte Geforce GT 520 (Passive cooling).
4 Harddrives : 1: SSD 120GB (OS+programs). 2: Western digital (SATA) 700 GB for sample library and vst fx . 3 : WD (SATA) 1TB for projects . 4 WD (SATA) :storage drive .
Audio interface : Motu UltraLite mk3 Hybrid (Firewire) . M-Audio Keytsudio (the cheapest one ) . Reaper , Audio-Mulch , Sibelius 6 , NI Komplete 8 . EWQSL Gold + alot of freeware vsti and vst effects (they have ofter a very interetsting sound to manipulate) . My goal is to upgrade to a studio computer . So if anyone have any advice about how to find a high end interface , I would be very grateful .PS. I have only composed EAM music for 2 years , so I know very little about studio stuff DS.
Old 28th January 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The performance of the analog circuitry is more specialized.
Which means higher dynamic range, lower noise, overall there is far more attention to the selection of components and how they are used within the design. A Company like Prism goes out of their way to design higher performance in every aspect.

The Clocking, Power Supply, Analog Sections. All over built, whereas other designs are built to a price. The Prism interface is a lot more than just ADA converters. There are a host of electronics on the unit that you may find useful and valuable.
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you very much . Now I have somethng to save money for .
But is the sound from Prism "colored" in any way ?
I have heard that Apollo is slightly colored ? But not Mytek ,for ex.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Try the very neutral Lynx Hilo.

Fpga technology for firmware upgrades. An interface to die for.

Cheers
Old 29th January 2013

🎧 10 years
If you're new to music production, worrying about conversion is the last thing you should be doing. The "colour" of a converter is minimal compared to the "colour" of a mic/preamp/compressor/EQ, and even more so when compared to the "colour" of your source - be that a voice, an instrument or a software synth.

If you can't get fantastic sound out of any of the converters you mention, it's not the interface's fault. Once you're used to one particular interface, you might notice small differences when using a different one. But you really can't go wrong with any of them. Even your MOTU is light years ahead of the pro level conversion of past years.
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I've only just demoed the Apollo, Lynx Hilo and the Prism Orpheus for two weeks.

The apollo is not in the same league as the Lynx Hilo & the Prism Orpheus unfortunately. It's a good package but the converters are not even close.

When it comes to the Lynx Hilo & The Prism I did actually prefer the Hilo (I found the sound extremely solid and "spooky" clear in the low end) but in the end i bought the Prism Orpheus because i needed more channels for outboard and the pre-amps where just great.

To answer your question, yes there is a huge difference as compared to the RME stuff. I personally feel I can't mix well on lower end converters because I feel i don't hear what i'm doing properly. Get the Hilo if you only need a few channels. Get the Orpehus if you need more ins and outs.
📝 Reply