Quantcast
Downgrading from PT10HDX back to PT9...? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Downgrading from PT10HDX back to PT9...?
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Downgrading from PT10HDX back to PT9...?

First off, I know there's no shortage of PT Haters out there. I'm not looking to be convinced to switch to a different DAW and don't want to hear from anyone simply looking to piss on PT. If you think you might have some insight to offer on my issue please read on and respond if you like!

Hi, avid (pun intended) Pro Tools user here. Thread title pretty much sums it up, but here's the bullet points:

- Long time PTHD user
- Last Fall I upgraded my A system to PT10HDX
- Lost a number of my (non HDX/PT10 compatible) plugs in the process (expected that)
- Don't have the ability to "Save As" PT v.9 (that one surprised me)

My B system is still at PT9 HD, so basically it's a one-way street. Files can get moved from B to A, but once opened in PT10, they can't go back from A to B (regardless if there are no plugs at all, just opening it in PT10 makes it incompatible with PT9).

Yes, I know I can do whatever edits I want, consolidate all to the same point and export the WAV files, then import them into PT9 (as if going into any other foreign DAW) but that's still an absurd pain in the ass, doesn't transfer any automation data or session info, or any other plugs that are present on both systems (like EQ7, or some of my Waves plugs).

Pair that with the fact that half of my plugs are not compatible with PT10 HDX, and I'm now questioning if it was worth the plunge in the first place. Yes, I knew that many plugs are not yet compatible, but it still chaps my ass when I can't get interchangeability between my two systems.

LONG STORY SHORT: Anybody know if I can just "reinstall" the PTv9 installer? Will that work with the HDX card, or would I have to get my hands on an HD Core card again? I'm guessing my TDM only plugs will still not work in PT9, because I've got the HDX card now (not HD Core) but will I at least be able to regain session interchangeability?

What say you good man?
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Slightly OT but what happens when you try to "Save As" PT 9?

If this isn't working it sounds like a problem with your system or maybe something a fresh install of PT 10 will fix.

I use PT 10 and save as PT9 sessions almost on a daily basis and have no trouble.

Cheers!
-Mike
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Really?

Here's a pic of the window that pops up when I choose "Save As" in PT10...

Am I blind? I just don't see a "Save as PT9" option there...
Attached Thumbnails
Downgrading from PT10HDX back to PT9...?-grab.jpg  
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Audiogeek,
You need to go to "File --> Save Copy In." Once you do, you're given a number of options for how to save the session, including backwards compatible version formats (including PT9).

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oh well what the hell, I've been doing this for months and had no idea that was there.

Why they chose to put it under "Save Copy In" instead of the more standard "Save As" heading that everyone else uses is beyond me... but at least it's there.

Okay. So that makes things a bit more acceptable, thanks to both mahler007 and celticrogues big time.

Carry on.
πŸ“ Reply