Quantcast
Antares Auto-Tune: a 'requirement' for pro studios in 2013? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Antares Auto-Tune: a 'requirement' for pro studios in 2013?
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddykev ➡️
So I had a session the other night at my studio with a relatively famous R&B singer. We have a decent selection of gear (Symphony I/O, Great River pres, Neumann mics, etc.) as well as treated rooms (GIK Acoustics).

When it came time to start tracking, the singer asked for Auto-Tune during tracking, to which I replied, "Sorry, I don't have Auto-Tune." The dude gave me an incredulous look, but we decided to try tracking without it. What a disaster! Every take was so whacked out-of-tune and pitchy I couldn't believe it. Then the manager started talking smack, "Every pro studio has Auto-Tune."

Any way, it made me think. Should we have Auto-Tune installed on all of the computers? Are we not a "pro" studio without Auto-Tune? Your thoughts please...
i have one in the rack and one itb ...always start with out ..
Old 29th January 2013

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtan ➡️
I get what you're saying, psycho_monkey, and you are correct in that context, but I'm not sure it applies in this case. You're talking about using Autotune as an effect whereas the OP said:

Based upon the info provided in this case, it sounds like an inability to sing in tune on the singer's part, not just someone looking for the effect.
He mentioned "R&B" singer - assuming we're not talking Booker T and the MGs -style R&B, the sound of modern R&B is Autotune. Given that he's obviously used to singing into AT, and that's the sound of his music, the OP hasn't got the tools for the job.

Which is NOT necessarily his fault, it's just bad communication somewhere down the line, or a pile of assumptions. To answer the original Q, if the OP' s day job is rock, he may well not want or need AT. If he's going to record R&B, he should invest in it!

Put it another way - would you tell Thurston Moore or Kevin Shields to turn off their distortion pedals, or Brian Eno to play a real piano?

I just think it's slightly elitist for people who appear to have no understanding or experience of the genre to say "oh, shouldn't need that if they were any good!" when in practice, recording with AT on the monitor feed provides a better end result than singing it well, then trying to add the effect later. I'm not saying I like the AT effect, or even that it makes the person a good singer, it's all about the end result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil ➡️
did you read the OP?
I did - see above!
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe ➡️
Yes - exactly why they need it in the studio

We all know that with some gigs, half the effort is keeping terrible takes from taking their full emotional toll on the less talented artists

Part of being professional is making your clients feel good about what happens in the studio - even if you would never listen to their music on your own time

Of course it's much more fun and rewarding to work with real talent - but bad sessions happen, and it's in the interest of everyone to get through these as pain free as possible (but perhaps not T-Pain free, ha ha)

Also dig what psycho monkey is saying about getting the sound right in the tracking - if you are planning to do this anyway, it can only be better if you nail it from the start
I agree, Hardtoe. Its just that printing Autotune seems so wrong to me. But then I don't do pop, R&B, hip hop, EDM, etc., so what do I know.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
recording with AT on the monitor feed
I don't have anything against Autotune, it just seems like it would yield better results tweaking it to taste in the edit or mix stage (and I'm normally one who likes to print FX). But I don't do R&B, pop, etc. so I have no experience with this technique.

Also, for clarity, are we talking about printing the effect or just putting it on the monitor bus?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Put it another way - would you tell Thurston Moore or Kevin Shields to turn off their distortion pedals, or Brian Eno to play a real piano?

I just think it's slightly elitist for people who appear to have no understanding or experience of the genre to say "oh, shouldn't need that if they were any good!" when in practice, recording with AT on the monitor feed provides a better end result than singing it well, then trying to add the effect later. I'm not saying I like the AT effect, or even that it makes the person a good singer, it's all about the end result.
I can appreciate effects being an essential component of someones sound.
I'd expect Eno & Shields would bring the pedals or synths they need to make their sound, or at the very least confiirm the studio had gear capable of generating it when booking the session.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I don't have anything against Autotune, it just seems like it would yield better results tweaking it to taste in the edit or mix stage (and I'm normally one who likes to print FX). But I don't do R&B, pop, etc. so I have no experience with this technique.

Also, for clarity, are we talking about printing the effect or just putting it on the monitor bus?
AT does a "stair step flutter" when a vocal is between notes. some people find this effect pleasing. if that is the sound the "artist" is going for, then the flatter & more off key the "vocal performance", the better. in this application it helps to hear what the effect is doing when recording the take, to ensure it's reacting as intended. i think of it as using the digital glitch as a textural dynamic the way some people will use distortion, harmonizer, delay, reverb, gruffness or a voice cracking at a dramatic moment. it's not what is considered traditionally "good singing", but it is a popular pop "production trick".
Old 30th January 2013

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil ➡️
I can appreciate effects being an essential component of someones sound.
I'd expect Eno & Shields would bring the pedals or synths they need to make their sound, or at the very least confiirm the studio had gear capable of generating it when booking the session.
I 100% agree - see my comments above re communication!
Old 30th January 2013

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I wouldn't print through it - I'd have it as an insert effect on the track being recorded to, so it's just in the monitor path. Like an amp sim or something. Come mix time, I'd refine the effect manually. It's just like playing guitar off a delay - it's the stepping into notes people like to play with, and it's very hard to do that if you can't hear the end result.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a sign in my studio THE ONLY THING THAT AUTOTUNES IN THIS STUDIO IS YOUR VOCALS CORDS

Yeah real rich of that manager tells you that every pro studio has auto tune.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I wouldn't print through it - I'd have it as an insert effect on the track being recorded to, so it's just in the monitor path. Like an amp sim or something. Come mix time, I'd refine the effect manually. It's just like playing guitar off a delay - it's the stepping into notes people like to play with, and it's very hard to do that if you can't hear the end result.
Thanks for clarifying - that makes A LOT more sense, man.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC ➡️
I have a sign in my studio THE ONLY THING THAT AUTOTUNES IN THIS STUDIO IS YOUR VOCALS CORDS

I'd argue that a manager of an rnb singer who cant sing is a manager of nothing

Sent from my GT-I8190
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC ➡️

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmunkey ➡️
I'd argue that a manager of an rnb singer who cant sing is a manager of nothing

Sent from my GT-I8190
I think a bunch of people must have me on ignore...I wouldn't blame you!

It's nothing to do with "not being able to sing". It's being able to sing in the style to the best of your ability, to get the result the quickest.

I mean - assuming you're going for the AT effect, someone COULD sing the song "perfectly", then I'd spend an hour or so tuning it by hand, putting in the bends and steps manually where needed.

OR - the guy could monitor it whilst tracking, do the bends as they want them, then I'd just be able to quickly fine tune any overdone warbles in about 10 mins.

Ironically, for the first time in a while I was tracking an R&B style pop singer yesterday...guess how we recorded vocals...this was for a Sony-signed artist.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Side note, we need a new name for R&B...that stuff today has literally nothing musically in common with Motown...Elvis...even schlocky 80s R&B was like the old stuff with too many drum machines and dx7s...

I have no comment on the OP...since no one is ever gonna mistake me for a guy who does modern R&B/Dance/elektroPop. I do think, though, I don't think it's particularly professional for Eno to show up without his synths...or a guitar player expecting the studio to have a nice wah or a slide or flanger pedal...
Old 31st January 2013

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann ➡️
Side note, we need a new name for R&B...that stuff today has literally nothing musically in common with Motown...Elvis...even schlocky 80s R&B was like the old stuff with too many drum machines and dx7s...

I have no comment on the OP...since no one is ever gonna mistake me for a guy who does modern R&B/Dance/elektroPop. I do think, though, I don't think it's particularly professional for Eno to show up without his synths...or a guitar player expecting the studio to have a nice wah or a slide or flanger pedal...
+1000% on "R&B"....I think that's along with renaming "producers" of the same genre - I have to explain every time I'm asked "do you produce as well?"...
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
+1000% on "R&B"....I think that's along with renaming "producers" of the same genre - I have to explain every time I'm asked "do you produce as well?"...
That stuff always makes me cringe.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Even though I have never used auto tune nor do I ever see myself, if I had a spot where I charged for studio time, not even a pro studio, I would buy Antares Auto-Tune specifically.

I know singers who won't perform live without the hardware box of it, do I like their music, not much, can the make a living off performing, most definitely.

The people who want it will never skip it so I see absolutely no point of loosing a client because I personally don't like it. It's not expensive either.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I think many people would be surprised just who uses auto tune out there. In R&B, virtually EVERYONE relies on it. One of the most out-of-tune singers Ive ever worked with is even up for a best performance Grammy next week. A large chunk of what I do is in R&B and Pop, and probably 95% of the vocalists from those genres I record - many of them far from amateur or beginner level - use auto tune. Rock, folk etc i never track with it, but urban music yes.

Trick is to keep it as a real time plugin when tracking rather than printing it, then before mixing put Melodyne in before it so the vocals don't hit the auto tune so hard (or you can take it away altogether). It's helpful for catching good vibes on a performance without having to redo lines for being pitchy. And for locking in passing notes. And for building up stacks and harmonies quickly and accurately. And for talented songwriters that are not talented singers.

So my answer is - yes, a pro studio in 2013 should have auto tune. Every studio that considers themselves pro should try to cater to the widest potential client base possible, and something as cheap and simple as auto tune is essential for a large number of potential clients.
📝 Reply