Quantcast
Opinions on studio setup - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Opinions on studio setup
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Opinions on studio setup

*Update, second link added for if we can keep some of current equipment along with added suggestions*

Not going to go into details about the situation but what it boils down to is that we have to replace all the equipment in our existing studio. Our budget is limited to around $15k and I've been working on a best bang for buck setup.

Some background on the work we do: We have mostly amateur musicians recording, but are getting more and more work so want to have a setup that is 'future proof'. We regularly record full bands as well as singer/songwriters and people coming in with tapes they want to sing on.

We have 14 mic inputs in the recording room which are patched through to the control room, and we do at times use all of them at once.

What I'm praying we will be able to keep of what we currently have:

Neumann U87
AKG C414 (if that's the case instead of 2x NT2A I'll go with 1 other C414)
bruel & kjaer 4007 matched pair (I would hate to downgrade to rode's or similar for drum OH's)
Focusrite Red 1 Pre-amp
Digidisign Procontrol (if that goes I'm going for the cheapest option as it doesn't effect the sound in any way)

This is what I've come up with so far assuming we aren't able to keep anything, reference monitors are already sorted. The price total needs to remain around the same, but if someone has some suggestions on bang for buck that could be switched around that would be great.
You will notice there are 3 rows of prices for each product, first is without taxes, second is tax total and third is +tax (initial investment price, will get tax back ofc)
I know costs could be cut on the interface and the pre's, but I want good AD/DA conversion, and at least 1 outstanding pre.

View image: Studio costs
View image: Studio costs with current equipment
Old 31st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Anyone have some suggestions?
Old 31st January 2013
IMJ
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
To keep things with in the budget you have, mics wise the rode nt5's are prob the only weak point, they're a bit hard sounding, hopefully you can hold onto your 4007's.

If it was me i would hold off buying the Elysia, Aphex and Goldmic. This money combined with the money for the octopre could get you a much higher quality 8ch mic pre, that way all the medium price mics you have will sound ten times nicer etc, 8ch ISA or DAV big 8 are really great preamps and will up the quality more than the favour of the other outboard you have chosen would add to the quality of your studio. You can buy them again later with the profit you make!
I reckons!
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Allen and Heath Zed R16 as the centerpiece/interface.

16 very nice mic pres, lovely analogue eqs, lots of routing options, midi controller etc.
Old 2nd February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the suggestions folks, I've added a link with what I'm thinking of getting if we can keep the equipment that I posted in the OP. The pre's I have in it now give 8 very nice outboard pre's with different flavors (2 channel tube, 2x neve 1073 clone, 4x focusrite) along with from what I've read 8 very decent pre's on the A&H, with 16 channel analog EQ that can be used as inserts if desired on there as well.

Procontrol would be kept for ITB work.
πŸ“ Reply