Quantcast
Does electronic cigarette vapor build up and damage gear over time? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does electronic cigarette vapor build up and damage gear over time?
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Does electronic cigarette vapor build up and damage gear over time?

I recently started using an e-cig about 2 weeks ago and have only smoked a couple analog cigarettes since then just to confirm whether I still got anything out of them. I have concluded that analog cigarettes are disappointing in comparison and HIGHLY inefficient delivery methods of nicotine. Now, I have no plans on ever quitting nicotine as it does have some medicinal benefits for me such as being a mild stimulant and focus enhancer (think coffee without the terrible feeling of taxing your heart and body) and a mild anti depressant.

Is there any formulation of e-liquid that leaves no residue on equipment? The least amount of residue? Residue that is the easiest to clean?

I would love to keep vaping at my desk while I work but I'm worried that over time it could build up on my gear and cause it to malfunction or get things sticky.

Information pertaining to the chemicals used and anecdotal reports would be appreciated. I know most e-liquids contain the same ingredient as fog machine liquid. I'm sure there are quite a few musicians who are nicotine users whom this information could benefit.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I don't know where you've been getting your facts from but nicotine increases blood pressure and pulse rate just as much as coffee, if not more.

Nicotine is essentially a poison derived from the nightshade family of plants. 20 - 40 doses of cigarettes (admittedly all within an hour) would probably kill the average joe.

Nicotine has been linked to permanent brain damage, there are several papers an theories on the net that point to this.

I'm not trying to lecture you here but I would get caught up on all the facts first. Yes there are some benefits to be had from nicotine (not smoking, but just nicotine itself) but 'medicinal' properties they are not.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Solution: don't vape while you work. E-cigs haven't been around long enough to measure any detrimental effects on gear, but why be the guinea pig? Go outside or in another area like everyone else. You don't want to be flipping gear later to find out there's a think layer of whatever-the-hell covering it.

And I'm not too sure about the "medicinal" effects of nicotine, but I'm not a doctor either.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
We live in an age where everyone makes up their own facts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
We live in an age where it is starting to dawn on people that our science is utterly based on assumptions and very few things that used to be called facts actually are.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Gearslutz App
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Probably not since its essentially water vapor. I vape in my house all the time and the wife is a bloodhound nosed anti tobacco freak. She smells nothing and vaping passed her test.

The fact is you can find studies that say nicotine is harmful, about as harmful as caffeine or even good for you. Wade through the anti tobacco hype and the cig industry hype and you're probably somewhere in the not great but probably not that bad camp.

Vaping has vapor and nicotine. Cigs have 400+ csrcinogens. If you are going to do one or the other then def go with vaping.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtomtom1230 ➑️
I'm not trying to lecture you here
For someone not trying you certainly did a decent job.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Vaping is awesome.

I started two weeks ago..and its cured my asthma!
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The key is to turn on your fog machines while you vape. They will react in the air and condense on all your studio thingamajiggies and impart a retro-classic futuristic vibe that never washes off.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
If your running AC I wouldn't sweat any "vapor residue" build-up.
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
You would probably have to spend hours blowing it directly onto circuitry for it to damage anything. It pretty much evaporates to nothing in a matter of seconds.

Smoke stays and settles.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…