Quantcast
I have $700 to buy a Mixer, a Power Amp, and Speakers to start my Audio Enterprise - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I have $700 to buy a Mixer, a Power Amp, and Speakers to start my Audio Enterprise
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I have $700 to buy a Mixer, a Power Amp, and Speakers to start my Audio Enterprise

Hey GS, thanks for your time
I'm planning to buy my very first equipment in the USA and ship it to Argentina where I'm currently residing.
I'd rather buy used gear in Craigslist or eBay to reduce costs (Does this make sense?)
I'd appreciate it if you could throw me some light on which models and brands are the best for my humble budget.

Thanks a lot!
Tutte.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
$700 is thin for a pro-level audio enterprise even used. I guess I'd look at:

Speakers: pair of used SP5 Peaveys (heavy as sin but sound great and handle 400w RMS) $250
Peavey IPR 1600-you can find them refurbished on Ebay for $200
That leaves you $350 for cables, mics, stands, and a mixer. Really tough, I'd probably get a used Mackie 1202 or 1402, preferably one from the 90s that's been babied. Or a A&H GL2 (I found one for $300 and it's a really good sounding board).
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Some additional info:
Outdoors and Small Indoors shows. For 100-150 ppl.
I just need 8 channels and a simple system that works well together. It will be probably for underground Rap concerts (one track with the beat, and 2 or 3 mics with a very subtle EQ.)

Thanks DRBOB1 for your input. do you think this setting will stand square waves from rap beats?..
Old 28th January 2013
S21
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Half your money is going to get spent on shipping...
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Shipping could kill the deal, yes...

The older Peavey speakers were hell for strong, which is why they're cheap. Originally the SP5s would have cost $1000 for the pair in today's dollars. But since they never die, there are just a whole bunch of them out there and they're heavy so not worth much on today's stages of lightweight powered speakers (we're talking 60 pounds plus with no amplifier). Yes, they'll stand up find to square waves and give you good sound coverage for 150 people. Most inexpensive modern speakers won't hold up to that abuse.
๐Ÿ“ Reply