Quantcast
How do I use a hardware verb in Apogee Maestro? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do I use a hardware verb in Apogee Maestro?
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
How do I use a hardware verb in Apogee Maestro?

I use Maestro no latency monitoring...Any way to add a cheap hardware verb without printing it? Just for monitoring? I have no idea how you would do this in Maestro...
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
There's a 1402 or 1202 on Craigslist for very little...really don't spend a lot of time solving a problem solved decades back. I use a little line mixer I used to have a midi rack of samplers plugged up to.

And if you need one--I got a Quadrverb2 on their for $70. Cut you a deal, drop it off and try to figure out Maestro. But, honestly...doing that with those control panel mixers is usually a super "rig".
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Thanks...So, you just skip all the routing and use a mixer? I've always been a little leery of doing that because my fear (irrational of not) of degrading the sound quality of the chain. You don't feel like there's any degradation of the sound?
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn ➑️
You don't feel like there's any degradation of the sound?
If it's just for monitoring it shouldn't matter ... but, if you gonna send a signal out to HW roundtrip from a DAW you'll no longer have a "no" latency situation.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
No, after reading up and getting 9 million answers...I think I asked Dan Kennedy who said basically as long as both devices on the receiving end were made in the last couple decades there shouldn't be any loss. Then I felt so confident, I tested it myself! man, I'm a dumbass...someone who knows WAY more than me says shouldn't be an issue, and I've got to test!

Anyway, there might've been something but I can assure you I couldn't tell it blind. Gnat farts next door kinda stuff. I could tell you converters...cables even...at least different (good/bad being source subjective to a degree)...sample rate...but, this? I felt like it might be something, but I could never say "That...listen to the way THAT sounds with the Y"...I couldn't pass it blind.

And if it's been a while since you've had an analog feed...trust me, as unslutyy as it sounds, I would GLADLY take a sonic hit for the CONTENT improvement and speed I get there. That is NOT subtle. As rarely as I play fretless these days, those tracks can be an afternoon of pulling teeth of "almost intonated"...give me an analog feed (or just no digital and I'll listen to the amp)...couple takes. Done. Moving on.

Believe me...this could be something that comes from growing up with analog mixers doing the cue...maybe it means I'm too reactive a player...maybe I suck in my own special messed up way, but I just play and sing better. A LOT better...with an analog cue. Maybe you try and go "wtf--that guy's nuts"...whatcha got to lose?

I will never put a digital cue in my phones again. Second best is just leave one ear off and listen to the amp or voice live. Nothing but everyone ELSE in the phones.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by houndog328 ➑️
If it's just for monitoring it shouldn't matter ... but, if you gonna send a signal out to HW roundtrip from a DAW you'll no longer have a "no" latency situation.
He is just meaning to get a hardware digital mixer's latency. He's only looping a send to the reverb...all in hardware. I've done this(not with Meastro)...but, it always feels rigged up...forget to switch configs or something and stuff is feeding back...

But, what I'm talking about is tapping the analog output of the preamp...Y cable...one to analog mixer (cue) and one to the converter. Just so everyone's on the same page.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
OK - I was thinking you were going out of the pre, into the line in of the mixer, aux send to verb for monitoring and sending the dry signal out to the converter.

Anyway, there's no latency in the Maestro mixer, so I wish it had the ability to use an aux send and return...
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
There IS latency to any converter/interfaces' mixer. It's just converter latency. Round trip. 1.5-2ms...dependent on sample rate. Plus whatever their dsp chip adds. Regardless...I get what you want to do...it's a pain, IME. And the analog solution actually works. You can even monitor with a software reverb. Monitor software...send prefader...turn the fader to null. You hear the no latency analog signal and the latent reverb. Which doesn't really matter, IME-it's like a few MS of predelay.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
But, no...nothing gets recorded from the cue mixer. The rest of your scenario is correct. Aux send/rtn the reverb.

You can also probably do the software reverb as above with maestro...I've just never wanted to...don't know why it wouldn't work, if you're routing manually in maestro. Do the same prefader send deal. Good news is-most plug in verbs sound a good bit like cheap hardware boxes you wanted to use.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…