Quantcast
Help me remove vocal and drum bleed on my Guitar recording! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me remove vocal and drum bleed on my Guitar recording!
Old 27th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Help me remove vocal and drum bleed on my Guitar recording!

So I recorded yesterday with my band live in a room. Unfortunately we don't have those Mics that can be placed in a way to not capture ambient noise or another singer or drum box in the room. So what happened is that in my guitar recording there's a noticeably amount of Vocal and Drumbox bleed. (even though we placed ourselves far away from each other.

Is there a way to reduce the vocals and the drum box in the recording? (it's making some things like vocals, sound as if I placed a certain type minimal echo effect on it) Please show me all the possible ways you know you can do this. I was able to reduce vocals and guitar bleed on my drumbox recording with a plugin called "CLA Drums" but have no idea how to do the same with my guitar recording.

Thanks!
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
You can overdub all the guitar parts. Guitar Bleed in other tracks might be an issue.

Panning the guitar 15-50% may provide a nice room reverb/delay.

I just dealt with this...drums in guitar mic. I Started by getting best sounds possible in guitar mic, panning 20% left and then building tracks around that. Guitar never sounded great, tho. Guitarist was too busy to overdub parts, which would've solved everything.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Embrace the bleed!

Or... Try:

low and high end eq roll offs
A gate with an EQ sidechain
Multi band Compressor with same
Software like isotope rx that can target removal of specific freq bands

That's all I got...
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boschen ➡️
Embrace the bleed!
yes if you are stuck with that "certain type minimal echo effect" build your mix around it. Interesting results can come of this sometimes.

Quote:
Or... Try:
low and high end eq roll offs
A gate with an EQ sidechain
Multi band Compressor with same
Software like isotope rx that can target removal of specific freq bands.
yes there's no magic bullet. Izotope sometimes feels like magic, but you have to be lucky also. All these processes work to some extent, all have a "cost" in how they will affect the guitar sound you WANT to keep.

When you use plug-ins to Fix It In the Mix, try listening for what you are LOSING at the same time as the plug-in is giving you what you asked for.

The best thing is to do a better job isolating next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDude92
those Mics that can be placed in a way to not capture ambient noise
What mics do you have? I would be surprised if none of them were cardioid. Then it is just a matter or setting up to take advantage of the mics' directionality.

Quote:
(even though we placed ourselves far away from each other.
distance helps but is not the only factor. You can set up your "guitar position" in such a way that the mic that is pointing at the amp is pointing away from the drum machine, for example. But sound will also bounce off the walls and so on. I often hang packing blankets on walls where I think sound may be reflecting back into the mics.

You can also use gobos to wall off the amplifiers. Lots of people point their amps into a corner and put a rug on top of them, etc. If you don't have gobos you can build your own very cheaply. But even big couch cushions or boards or an unused extra amplifier will help.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

You'll do more harm trying to remove the bleeds than good. Now that you know you have bleeds, just fix the bleed issue in your future recordings. Live and learn.

Allot of times, the bleeds from other tracks are good to have. There are allot of great songs that have 'bleeding tracks'.

CJ
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…