Quantcast
Best technique, plugin, piece of information you wished you knew years ago? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best technique, plugin, piece of information you wished you knew years ago?
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Best technique, plugin, piece of information you wished you knew years ago?

What is the best technique, plugin, piece of information
you wished you knew years ago?

A trick, piece of gear, piece of information that just changed your way of thinking or working forever, make your life easier and make you say :
"Wow, I wish I knew that one before!"

I will start with some of mines :
- Tutorial : Pensado's Place
- Plugin : Valhalla,
- Piece of gear : Neumann u87
- Piece of information : The simple but crucial value of frequency space for each instrument in a mix (low cut, high cut, surgical eq etc...)

They all made me say : "Wow, I wish I knew/Had that one before!"

What is your?
If possible explain why you wish you knew it before
Old 27th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Good monitors. Had I understood the impact they have on a mix, I never would have bothered with cheap ones.

Everything else is too subjective for me to nail down, but the benefit of good monitors is universal.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar ➑️
Good monitors. Had I understood the impact they have on a mix, I never would have bothered with cheap ones.

Everything else is too subjective for me to nail down, but the benefit of good monitors is universal.
+1
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar ➑️

Hm... I probably should get myself some good monitors someday then
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebdj ➑️

A trick, piece of gear, piece of information that just changed your way of thinking or working forever, make your life easier and make you say :

I will start with some of mines :
- Tutorial : Pensado's Place
- Plugin : Valhalla,
- Piece of gear : Neumann u87
- Piece of information : The simple but crucial value of frequency space for each instrument in a mix (low cut, high cut, surgical eq etc...)

What is your?
I read an interview several years with BT, he mentioned how he hi-passed everything under 250hz with the exception of bass and kick drum in his mixes. That one statement resolved all the muddiness I experienced for years in mixes. Thanks BT.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley ➑️
I read an interview several years with BT, he mentioned how he hi-passed everything under 250hz with the exception of bass and kick drum in his mixes. That one statement resolved all the muddiness I experienced for years in mixes. Thanks BT.
BT? What slope did he generally use?
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

What is your?
I used EQ of course, but read some info on HP where people were saying how much they HP. Solo it sounds weak, but in the mix ...
THAT probably improved my mixes more than anything.
Old 28th January 2013
Deleted d44e7f2
Technique:
Mic Placement

Plugin:
Haven't really come across a life changing plugin.

Piece of information:
The importance of d/a conversion. Just upgraded my interface and it feels like ear plugs were taken off my ears.

Quote:
That sounds incredibly extreme.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stardust ➑️
BT? What slope did he generally use?
I have no idea. It was an idea he mentioned, I tried it and it worked. Does it work all the time? No, but its a great start towards cleaning up the mix.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted d44e7f2 ➑️
I agree. I wouldn`t cut everything but its a starting point when your low end is a mess.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzalicious ➑️
Technique:
Mic Placement

Plugin:
Haven't really come across a life changing plugin.

Piece of information:
The importance of d/a conversion. Just upgraded my interface and it feels like ear plugs were taken off my ears.

Nice info!
Can you tell us what D\A Converter you are using now?
Or a guide that teach your mic placement?
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Solo buttons are the devils work. Volume automation is king.

Seriously, what used to take weeks of mixing is down to 1-2 days work simply by keeping all the instruments IN CONTEXT. Once you get a nice instrumental balance, it gets alot easier to stop patching the holes and start getting creative.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Resisting the urge to wide-pan drums.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Wish I found IK's CSR sooner, spent at least 10 years trying to get a particular vibe in my songs. Turns out to be a nice colouring Reverb which CRS does amazingly.

Wish I wasn't so stubborn about not using bought samples sooner rather than using cheep VST drum machine with a missguided ideal that I could make better drums.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hmm... The beauty starts at 250Hz and goes down.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
for me..

not spending too much time worrying about gear on the recording end... preamps and compressors.. i used to spend lots of time in sessions trying to get the right preamp/comp going. now i plug **** into preamps i know will work just fine, and i spend that extra time making musicians happy..

as long as the preamps are nice.. i dont give a **** if its neve, api, UA, chandler.. whatever.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I agree. I wouldn`t cut everything but its a starting point when your low end is a mess.
Thanks for mentioning this, maybe I need to have a re-try at this as well. But I do think that a lot of beauty is found below 250 Hz... Also, somewhere between 300 and 500 Hz there is a softness frequency found, I mean it's really a harshness frequency but when lowered the whole mix turns really soft. I am looking for it, because I know it's there. I think it is found somewhere in the 350 to 450 Hz range. Does this sound familiar?
Lives for gear

Quote:
I found the harder part is how much low mid to keep to make the mix warm and clear. Actually all the mids are a pia!!LOL
Slowly but surely...
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henge ➑️
I found the harder part is how much low mid to keep to make the mix warm and clear. Actually all the mids are a pia!!LOL
Slowly but surely...
Look like many of us wished to know that one before lol
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Low Mids are the key. Too little and your mixes sound life-less, thin and 2D. Too much and your mixes are mud and have no room to breath. Just right and you have clarity, energy and a 3D vibe to it.
Old 6th February 2013
Deleted f25ebd2
@jroode Do you balance the low mids with an overall mix eq, or do you have to work with each instrument individually usually?
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:

What is your?
If possible explain why you wish you knew it before
Trick/ Technique:
Low passing mixes I know and love and just listening to them in my room to learn how low end should correctly translate. (Thanks Dave Pensado!)
Why:
Getting the low end right is tough and this can help (ps ~ high passing everything at 250 cycles is silly. Try starting your HPF at 30 cycles and then go up from there as you hear fit. Or don't go so heavy handed with the HPF and try just dipping a couple dB between 200 and 250 cycles. You might be surprised how much a little cut in that range can clear up muddiness.) :-)

Piece of Gear:
Slate's Trigger plugin
Why:
It can help. I just finished mixing a live record that would not have stood up in today's market place in the genre the client wanted it to without it. I know some people say it's always better to not sample replace or sample augment if you don't have to. BUT, sometimes I have to.

Another Piece of Gear/ way of working:
Fostex FR2-LE for printing mixes to.
Why:
I like to break my stereo groups out of the box, integrate hardware, sum externally, and then print my 2 mix back into the computer. Printing the 2 mix to another device at a higher sample rate can work well sometimes. Sometimes I'm stuck working at 24bit 48kHz. Working like this allows me to print my final mix to an external device at 88.2 or 96kHz which allows me to better maintain the harmonic structure of the sound.
Old 6th February 2013

🎧 15 years
Parallel compression.
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Addict

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years

"Bleed is your friend"
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Way too many to list, but the most noticeable changes were room acoustics and the focal solo 6's

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Gearslutz App
Old 6th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Mic placement/phase relation.
Scooping a little here to fit that in there.

Plugins? What is that?

And this, in boldface, down below:
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted f25ebd2 ➑️
@jroode Do you balance the low mids with an overall mix eq, or do you have to work with each instrument individually usually?
Well, since I don't do a lot of live tracking (I am using a lot of virtual instruments) I really sculpt as I go.... mix as I go. So it's sort of a combination of liking and "knowing" through experience what an instrument should sound like on it's own, and what it's going to sound like in the mix... and I pick instruments with that in mind. So by the time I'm done, I don't generally need to apply an overall mix eq.

But I guess if I were doing live tracking and then a mixdown session, I would probably rely on working the same way... get the individual track to taste (knowing, for the most part how it's going to affect the overall mix). Continually making adjustments to individual tracks to get it where I want it to be.

Now, having said that, I am going to experiment some with outboard eq on the mix buss to see if I like what it does. The Electra is one I have in mind. From what I've read, it really shines on sculpting lows and low mids. But this is really more about adding color as it is EQ, I think. We'll see.

One other thing... I try to pick the part/instrument in that freq range that is essential and should be dominant. I give it the "right of way" and everything else in that freq range becomes secondary. Sometimes its the kick, sometimes it's the bass, sometimes it's a chugga chugga guitar over even a piano or strings. But it gets its space and everything else takes on a supportive role. So in essence, "arranging" is a big contributing factor to "muddy or not muddy"."
Old 6th February 2013
Deleted f25ebd2
Thanks. As somebody new to serious mixing, that sense of what will or won't work at tracking can be frighteningly elusive, but it makes more sense that the component parts need to be sorted out well to get the whole picture to gel nicely.
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Spend time with each piece of gear to see where and how it works....
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
1. Proper gain staging: at tracking and mixing.
2. Bussing elements to groups once I get them sitting nicely in the mix, (gtr buss, bass buss, vocal buss, etc.)
3. Arrangement, arrangement, arrangement.
4. It's now how loud you make it, it's how you make it loud.
5. I need a lot less *****' than I once thought (and had) in order to accomplish what I want, and I love that.

So many more, but these are big ones for me.
πŸ“ Reply