Quantcast
Best technique, plugin, piece of information you wished you knew years ago? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best technique, plugin, piece of information you wished you knew years ago?
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageidiot ➑️
Spend time with each piece of gear to see where and how it works....
This.

I've started taking the time to shoot my own gear out before making any related gear purchase. Spending an hour or two swapping mics/pres/whatever/ and objectively listening can really put some clarity and perspective into the process. It has also shown me some unexpected uses for what I have.
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted f25ebd2 ➑️
Thanks. As somebody new to serious mixing, that sense of what will or won't work at tracking can be frighteningly elusive, but it makes more sense that the component parts need to be sorted out well to get the whole picture to gel nicely.
Been thinking about this even a little more. Here's an example of what I mean by having one instrument/voice being the focal point and the others being of a supportive nature.

Muse, Resistance... the most dominant instrument in the low/low mids is the bass. The kick is certainly secondary and thus has more of a pillowy/pad-like sound. Guitars occasionally get in that range but certainly are not featured down there, usually just doubling the Bass. Double Bass and Cellos... sometimes Piano take over in some of his arrangements, but drums and guitar do not.

Black Keys, El Camino... at least on most of the stuff I've heard from them... just the opposite. Bass is purely in a supportive role, while drums dominate in that range as well as guitar to some extent... but the guitars still don't have a lot of low mids to them. But you would expect that given the make-up of the band.

Listen to each... tell me if you agree. I think almost everything you listen to with scrutiny will display this concept. If not, there is probably some type of side-chaining/ducking going on. But there is always some type of energy in the low mids in a good mix.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Performances often worsen as the takes go on and on.

Do your homework and get that mic ready to go ASAP.

Don’t let the artist second guess their impulses, support every crazy idea, they will thank you for it.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Effective room treatment (bought foam from foambymail.com years ago and now I use rigid fiber glass for walls and corners) and proper gain staging.
Old 13th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Notes = frequencies, write & arrange parts accordingly, avoid stacking frequencies by avoiding duplicate voicings.

Same with rhythms... do less layering and more interlocking/interweaving.

If you want a mix to have more 'X', all you need to do is give one element more 'X'.

You can't create space, you can only preserve it, and the way to do that is to add less.

When sections of a song change, change the shape of the 'space' of the entire song, it adds a ton of drama and impact.

Worry less about tone, and more about transients.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k ➑️
Notes = frequencies, write & arrange parts accordingly, avoid stacking frequencies by avoiding duplicate voicings.
Yes. And if the need is there to duplicate a part, I would recommend getting a different tone, accenting a different portion of the freq spectrum. For example, you lay down a heavy rhythm track on e. gtr, and want to double it. The doubling part should be a bit duller or brighter to contrast with the first rhythm track.

Quote:
Same with rhythms... do less layering and more interlocking/interweaving.
Yes, this is something you`ll see session players do. They`ll record a guitar track and leave holes, then go back with another guitar and fill in. Its amazing to watch. They think orchestrally and its definitely a skill successful producers use all the time. Just listen to Hysteria!

Quote:
You can't create space, you can only preserve it, and the way to do that is to add less.
Yup, it goods to think about a mix as if it were a water bottle/container. It only has so much room so you have to decide how much bass is going to fill it or drums or guitars, vocals, etc... This is why I found the BT technique so enlightening, it just opened up a lot of room for me!

Quote:
When sections of a song change, change the shape of the 'space' of the entire song, it adds a ton of drama and impact.
Yes again! Its good to think of the verse as one scene in a movie, and the chorus as another scene in the movie. Theres always some transition that needs to happen so the listener absolutely knows this is the chorus. That change in the "shape of the space" as you call it is sometimes very subtle but great productions all use this technique.
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Less = more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Less = more
+1

Great thread!
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Complementary EQ

What a revelation THAT was
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Testing equipment with a high degree of level matching and using only my ears.

Low frequency diffusers.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Absolutely agree, "Less = more" !!

When "something" just isn't "right" with the mix, I start muting things one by one....when it's gone, if it "feels" better, it's gone.....and I move on to the next mute......I stop when the whole thing goes "Eureka" !! At that point, if everything is muted, I: a) start over, or b) refund the client
Old 14th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol_Jonesey ➑️
Complementary EQ

What a revelation THAT was

Do tell!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 14th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
"You can't polish a turd"

It took me many years to shift my focus to starting out with the highest quality sound and working up from there, rather than wasting days on a finished project trying to milk magic out of lifeless audio.
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Better composing skills and gear (including room) and the knowledge how to get the most out of it.
Old 14th February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Knowing exactly how much of the end result depends on me, and how much is up to the artist.
Old 14th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Beware of message board suggestions
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyOPs ➑️
"You can't polish a turd"

It took me many years to shift my focus to starting out with the highest quality sound and working up from there, rather than wasting days on a finished project trying to milk magic out of lifeless audio.
+1

I recently recorded some big, roomy drum tracks at a friend's ad hoc studio - quality mics, a vintage Tascam console with lots of preamp headroom, well-considered room miking, plenty of tech leaps from my own layout - and, between my iffy tuning and what turned out to be some truly poor spaced pair OH miking (as well as some likely improvable gain staging), they're basically useless to me. Because I didn't understand the room and, as a result, let a talented friend with distinctly different tastes guide the session, I got something too wide and airy for my sound; even cranked compression, gating, and severe EQ cuts/boosts haven't helped, as the drums were recorded with a rodded Americana vibe that isn't meant to sound "squashed." All told, it was a cheap lesson (less than $150 for the session), but an important one nonetheless: trust your instincts, know what the music demands, and consider what YOU like in a recording. Looking back, I was so impressed by my buddy's surfeit of outboard gear and so interested in playing with his Joly-modded Oktava MC012s that I didn't think about the dead, clear-yet-gritty drum sound I actually needed for the recording.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=psyOPs;8746952]"You can't polish a turd"

.....but you can spray-paint it "gold"
Deleted f25ebd2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley ➑️
Yes again! Its good to think of the verse as one scene in a movie, and the chorus as another scene in the movie. Theres always some transition that needs to happen so the listener absolutely knows this is the chorus. That change in the "shape of the space" as you call it is sometimes very subtle but great productions all use this technique.
Can one of you guys give an example for what you mean by this? Do you mean using a different reverb send or what?
Old 14th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Worry less about tone, and more about transients.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Please elaborate. I know what transients are, but how does one preserve them? Especially while applying compression & limiting & EQ. Perhaps a little 101 discussion would be great.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
NS10s

Bryston amps
Old 14th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hardware: RE16, dbx 166XL, Heil PR30, spring reverbs
Plugin: GTS-39 tube compressor for vintage grit, L1 for mastering demos
Concepts: HPF at 100-150, use EQ not compression, proper gain staging, hybrid mixing only 8-12 tracks--making decisions sooner than later
Education: reading the Gearslutz thread about 1 advice 1 peeve. Volumes to learn. And anything Bob Ohlsson writes. And the Gabe Roth interview "****ty is Pretty".
Old 14th February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
buss compression
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Understanding that while tracking, it must sound great if you want your mix to even compare with the pros. Not good...great.

Having a true understanding of how much the room really affects your decisions, both during tracking and mixing.
Old 15th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik ➑️
Understanding that while tracking, it must sound great if you want your mix to even compare with the pros. Not good...great.

Having a true understanding of how much the room really affects your decisions, both during tracking and mixing.
A quote I'll always remember is "What you're aiming for is awesome".

And it is. Wether that's sticking a vocalist through a guitar amp or using a floor kick for a kick drum or just taking your time getting the mic and placement right. If you're not feeling something, think about what might make you feel it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by manysounds ➑️

"Bleed is your friend"
this!
Old 15th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Abbey Road TG12413 Limiter

TG 12413 Limiter
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyChris ➑️
Beware of message board suggestions
This
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A stupid tune will always be stupid no matter how well it is recorded.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
pre- production (production and composing: making sounds and sketching out an idea before composing)

composing without mixing, but arrangement in mind.

buss processing vs master bus processing

serial compression

awsome room and monitoring (weakest link will be the value of the monitoring chain)
πŸ“ Reply