Quantcast
Room acoustics MYTHS and what is a HIGH QUALITY MONITOR TOOL for you ? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Room acoustics MYTHS and what is a HIGH QUALITY MONITOR TOOL for you ?
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
surely it depends on how big his backyard is and how loud you're listening? never heard a flutter echo from nearby buildings?

in an anechoic chamber is where they'll be as accurate as possible (and hence why that's where measurements are taken) but it wouldn't be a pleasant listen!

if you live by nearby buildings you are not going to mix outside I'm talking about the suburbs. I was making a generalization.

Do you always have to be so argumentative? seriously. You argue the opposite point of everyone on this website.
Is it deliberate? You even try to ague here with Bob Olhsson. The guy is legend. My advice to you is to sit back read what professionals here have to say and then try to learn something. You can't walk before you can crawl.

just my 2 pesos
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
RickGobe, the trouble with "outside" is that it's actually a very noisy place even in the middle of nowhere. The more background noise, the more audio masking that occurs. It occasionally rains and snows outside too and besides the obvious problems with that have you ever noticed how the acoustics outside change with those events? Humidy, the amount of water in the air effects the density of air. Sound waves move differently through different densities. Given that, sound outside on a dry day (low humidity / lower density) is not the same as sound outside on a damp day (high humidity / higher air density). With snow you are basically adding a layer of insulation (lots of airspace betwen snowflakes just like the airspace with fiberglass insulation) which cuts down the sound reflections you would normally hear. It sounds muffed except for localized sounds like your footsteps which are now less masked. With using speakers "outside" you are just adding a different set of variables, as there is still interaction. The purpose of using speakers in the control room is just that, "CONTROL" of some of the variables.

Speaker testing should be done in an "Anechoic Chamber" and here is why: Meyer Sound : The Anechoic Chamber Basically you are taking normal room interaction out of the equation with this type of chamber and thus discovering the true nature of a speaker.

Not many manufacturers can afford their own chamber or even the costs of using someone elses. Additionally most speakers are designed to meet specific price points and release date of product to the public instead of coming up with a design through repeated modifications and testings that best meets XYZ set of compromises, spread the total R & D costs over a fixed number of units, apply the true manufacturing costs, and apply percentage of profit wanted all to determine the final speaker's cost.

The reality is any speaker you get you are going have to use it in your room and it will interact with it.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emitsweet ➡️
if you live by nearby buildings you are not going to mix outside I'm talking about the suburbs. I was making a generalization.

Do you always have to be so argumentative? seriously. You argue the opposite point of everyone on this website.
Is it deliberate? You even try to ague here with Bob Olhsson. The guy is legend. My advice to you is to sit back read what professionals here have to say and then try to learn something. You can't walk before you can crawl.

just my 2 pesos
Just because he brings up another view point or argument towards someone who is a "legend" to you does not immediately mean he is wrong or should not express It. Thats the whole point of this place. Everyone has different experiences which can lead them to hold different views on the same subject.

I actually agree with almost everything psycho monkey posted on this topic.

The argumentative posts you refer to are almost certainly only for further clarification of the threads discussions.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Get some good speakers and do something to soak the aural crud out of your room so you can hear them properly.

What was the controversy again?

-R
Old 28th January 2013

🎧 15 years
Quote:

just my 2 pesos
Wow.

Where do I start!

I don't mean to be funny, but I AM a professional here! I'm not someone of Bob's statute of course, few are, but I make a living doing this, I think I know a fair bit about it, and I'm lucky enough to have worked for and with some of the best in the business. Right now I'm on my way to record a high profile client (ok, x-factor winner, but you get my point!).

I can respect Bob without agreeing with everything he says. As it happens, I didn't disagree with much - just clarifying what exactly he means. I do have a background in acoustics.

Maybe YOU have a chip on your shoulder because you made a daft statement in the converters thread, tried to pretend you we're an authority on the subject, then got torn a new one by everybody, but that doesn't mean I argue with everyone. I just don't pipe up if I'm unsure of what I'm saying! And if I am wrong....I try to have the grace to retract and stand corrected.

Take your point above - quite clearly an anechoic room is going to be far more accurate than outside, wherever you are. Few outside locations are free of reflections, not if you stop and listen carefully. That's before the issue of background noise.

If you take issue with people (and let's face it, it's not just me) pointing out when you're wrong, perhaps you should stay off Internet forums? The whole point is for debate!

I also think it's a bit rich for you to suggest I learn something, when it took 3 or more pages of you stubbornly claiming that you designed converters therefore couldn't possibly be wrong, before you gave in to the direct quotes and proof in front of you!

Maybe pot calling kettle there?

Anyway, I stand by what I said. If you think I'm wrong, please tell the research department at the university of Salford where I did my degree (partially in acoustics) that they're doing it wrong! Maybe throw in every speaker manufacturer whilst you're at it....
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow. There is no hope for high end now...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Wow.

Where do I start!

I don't mean to be funny, but I AM a professional here! I'm not someone of Bob's statute of course, few are, but I make a living doing this, I think I know a fair bit about it, and I'm lucky enough to have worked for and with some of the best in the business. Right now I'm on my way to record a high profile client (ok, x-factor winner, but you get my point!).

I can respect Bob without agreeing with everything he says. As it happens, I didn't disagree with much - just clarifying what exactly he means. I do have a background in acoustics.

Maybe YOU have a chip on your shoulder because you made a daft statement in the converters thread, tried to pretend you we're an authority on the subject, then got torn a new one by everybody, but that doesn't mean I argue with everyone. I just don't pipe up if I'm unsure of what I'm saying! And if I am wrong....I try to have the grace to retract and stand corrected.

Take your point above - quite clearly an anechoic room is going to be far more accurate than outside, wherever you are. Few outside locations are free of reflections, not if you stop and listen carefully. That's before the issue of background noise.

If you take issue with people (and let's face it, it's not just me) pointing out when you're wrong, perhaps you should stay off Internet forums? The whole point is for debate!

I also think it's a bit rich for you to suggest I learn something, when it took 3 or more pages of you stubbornly claiming that you designed converters therefore couldn't possibly be wrong, before you gave in to the direct quotes and proof in front of you!

Anyway, I stand by what I said. If you think I'm wrong, please tell the research department at the university of Salford where I did my degree (partially in acoustics) that they're doing it wrong! Maybe throw in every speaker manufacturer whilst you're at it....
well, it just seems when someone here says "black you say white they say bark you say bite, they say jaws you say star wars"

thank you Freddie

Anyway it just seems to be a trend that's all. I'm not going to defend my converter and 'signal' points of view to simply avoid derailing here, although I stand by the facts presented. You just can't admit you were wrong. I can, so I won't comment on mixing outdoors or NS10s unless I have the facts next time. Also what do degrees have to do with anything?
I have 3 degrees and you consistently inform me I wrong on all my points. Perhaps I have the wrong degrees? regardless
my comments are moot here. I digress.
Old 28th January 2013

🎧 15 years
Quote:
well, it just seems when someone here says "black you say white they say bark you say bite, they say jaws you say star wars"

thank you Freddie
I think I probably post an equal number of "+1"s but it's much more fun being biased isn't it?

Quote:
Anyway it just seems to be a trend that's all. I'm not going to defend my converter and 'signal' points of view to simply avoid derailing here, although I stand by the facts presented. You just can't admit you were wrong.
Interestingly, I think it's a bit if a trend that you get all offended when someone disagrees with you!

I can admit I'm wrong when I'm wrong. In the converter thread, I wasn't wrong - and I proved it. I also wasn't presenting myself as something I wasn't.

Quote:
I can, so I won't comment on mixing outdoors or NS10s unless I have the facts next time.
I have no problem with you saying what you think. Just don't get in a huff if someone disagrees!

Quote:
Also what do degrees have to do with anything?
I have 3 degrees and you consistently inform me I wrong on all my points. Perhaps I have the wrong degrees? regardless
my comments are moot here. I digress.
I think you're a bit prone to taking offense! I've disagreed with you on 3 points - on each of these I wasn't the only one disagreeing with you, far from it. It was also relevant facts - in some cases you were stating things that were plain wrong from a technical point of view, in other cases just being misleading. Here - you're just being oversensitive. Maybe try not to take things so personally?

As to your degrees - I don't know what they're in, so I have no idea if they're relevant. Mine is partially in acoustics - it was in the distant past, but I've studied loudspeaker design, and I still remember the basics! So - maybe that's relevant to where speakers perform best, when a degree in electronics or whatever you might have isn't?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➡️
Having worked extensively in both situations, I must say that I'd take great speakers in an average room over lesser speakers in a great room without blinking. We mastering engineers worked for decades in what Dave Collins lovingly calls "mastering closets." In a sense we have it easy because we don't need extreme isolation as is required for tracking. We don't have as extreme room mode problems but most home studios also don't have extreme room mode issues.

Great speakers are never a waste in my experience.
From my humble experience, I agree with Bob, great speakers give me so much information and it would be a real pain to work without them, I would pick this combo anytime over "mediocre or average speakers+ great room combo."

I think people have a hard time understanding this because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr ➡️
The big trouble with listening to audio coming out of speakers is that until you actually hear something better, you have no gauge to know what is achievable.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Wow.

Where do I start!

It is this exact attitude which kills all the pleasure and charm of an intelligent discussion. All we see now in the High End section of Gs is personal attacks.
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Is there even any hope of finding a truly accurate, clinical monitor speaker below $5000/pair ? Sealed or open baffle, and with low coloration, low resonance(frequency/time), fast impulse times ?

Is it only me or is it true that as time passes, the manufacturers seem to be more business-minded, marketing minded and less inclined to come up with any breakthroughs to solve the classic speaker problems ? I remember back in the day (1960-1980) all sorts of new technologies and advances were popping up and just compare a crappy Phillips speaker to one which was made in the 80's, shocking quality differences and craftmenship.

They seem to do it in the HIFI world today but the professional studio monitor world is pretty static with no revolutionary breakthroughs.

Is it due to the ignorance of the buyers in the pro audio world ? I generally find that more HIFI enthusiasts seem to know more about the art of speaker design, electronics and sound, when compared to people from the pro-audio world, who are still buying into -/+ values and smoothed frequency graphs.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanahu ➡️
Is there even any hope of finding a truly accurate, clinical monitor speaker below $5000/pair ? Sealed or open baffle, and with low coloration, low resonance(frequency/time), fast impulse times ?
I would say that the ME Geithain RL906 comes into this category.

The Sound On Sound review is HERE.

A comment made to me recently said that "most manufacturers seem to economise on their smaller monitors to make them cheaper, but Geithain put the same effort into the smaller units that they do into the large ones."

The small RL906 sounds virtually identical to the large RL901K, with the exception that the larger unit has an extended bottom end due to its size
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanahu ➡️

Is it only me or is it true that as time passes, the manufacturers seem to be more business-minded, marketing minded and less inclined to come up with any breakthroughs to solve the classic speaker problems ? I remember back in the day (1960-1980) all sorts of new technologies and advances were popping up and just compare a crappy Phillips speaker to one which was made in the 80's, shocking quality differences and craftmenship.

They seem to do it in the HIFI world today but the professional studio monitor world is pretty static with no revolutionary breakthroughs.

Is it due to the ignorance of the buyers in the pro audio world ? I generally find that more HIFI enthusiasts seem to know more about the art of speaker design, electronics and sound, when compared to people from the pro-audio world, who are still buying into -/+ values and smoothed frequency graphs.
Check out PSI's impulse and phase compensation technology, then have a listen to some and then say all that again with a straight face.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Gearslutz App
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Its always the same boring discussion about someone who is able to deliver good work on even crappier equipment than ourselves. But whats the conclusion? Buy the cheapest stuff on market or tell the musicians they can bring cheap instruments cause the score is always the same on paper....?

Much more of interest: how we can solve this enclosure resonances and are they really the main problem for LS quality?
- building always open baffle ?
- use as much damping material as we can ?
- use only close cabinets ?
- use EQs to linearise as much as we can ?

I know both; some PSI and a lot of the Geithain range. Not bad, but still lacking a lot in my perception...
Old 28th January 2013

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis_B ➡️
It is this exact attitude which kills all the pleasure and charm of an intelligent discussion. All we see now in the High End section of Gs is personal attacks.
There was nothing personal about my initial point - emitsweet just didn't like having someone who disagreed with him, and for some reason took it personally. Mod or not, I'm allowed an opinion!

Thread wasn't exactly a high end topic anyway, hence the reason it's not there anymore.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The best speakers for me are those I know best.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilrocker ➡️
The best speakers for me are those I know best.
I guess what you really get to know with time is the couple room+monitors
A.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ ➡️
Much more of interest: how we can solve this enclosure resonances and are they really the main problem for LS quality?
My thoughts exactly.
Can't see the problem if despite all the colour the cabinets are imparting to the sound my mixes still sound globally the same on 90% of consumers playback systems.
Many monitors have excellent translation so the box coloration thing may not be such a huge bummer...
There are a few guys here whom mixes I bet aren't EQed much at the mastering stage despite they use Adam, K&H, Focal, etc...
A.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It would be nice to just not have monitors at all!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I can just see the marketing for the government putting that chip in your head . . . "better quality sound and no expensive speakers to buy!" LOL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr ➡️
I can just see the marketing for the government putting that chip in your head . . . "better quality sound and no expensive speakers to buy!" LOL
and a direct connection to the iTunes store!... wouldn't that be great?
A.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Interesting topic.

OK, I'm going to throw myself right into this conversion and dump the final statement.

Listen guys, I'm a believer in rather large speaker systems in not too big control rooms. I like speaker frequencies to be dominant over room frequencies. I'm a fan of Blackbird studio's ATC based solution with large main speakers, large stereo subwoofers, large side speakers etc. Room frequency control is very important, but I agree with Bob Ohlsson, the right speaker/amp solution is in my view the winning concept. I think one should throw in multiple other systems as well to add to the overall picture. Room frequencies should be overcome, it helps to treat the room frequencies, but put enough power behind the speaker system and it'll fly like a bird, it'll take over (with a great DAC of course)!
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothVibe ➡️
Interesting topic.

OK, I'm going to throw myself right into this conversion and dump the final statement.

Listen guys, I'm a believer in rather large speaker systems in not too big control rooms. I like speaker frequencies to be dominant over room frequencies. I'm a fan of Blackbird studio's ATC based solution with large main speakers, large stereo subwoofers, large side speakers etc. Room frequency control is very important, but I agree with Bob Ohlsson, the right speaker/amp solution is in my view the winning concept. I think one should throw in multiple other systems as well to add to the overall picture. Room frequencies should be overcome, it helps to treat the room frequencies, but put enough power behind the speaker system and it'll fly like a bird (with a great DAC of course)!
What???!!!!??? Are suggesting that room problems can be overcome by volume?

Good luck

🎧 10 years
Yeah it's the well known PIIS system (pummel it into submission). Haven't you heard heh?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris ➡️
What???!!!!??? Are suggesting that room problems can be overcome by volume?

Good luck
Not volume/loudnesss, speaker design with huge impact in mind.

The easiest way of understanding this, is to go to an empty live arena with hard walls, and let a band play using really high end speakers. It's not that the speakers don't produce flat and great sound, not at all, the wall frequencies are eating up the generated frequencies no matter the loudness, it's a matter of mismatch between speaker design and application. In a control room you really would suffer from the same effect, which is why you need to ensure the speaker frequencies are not drowning in room frequencies. How you do that is by ensuring the speakers have the right design for the application. Key here is that they should be large enough and powered so that they are flat not only at very high volumes. At first I thought large speakers in small rooms was impossible, until I heard my friend's custom made JBL speakers based on leaked schemas. It sounded FANTASTIC and the room was not even acoustically treated. Then I understood it was possible and it made sense. The most important thing is for the speakers to "win" over the room frequencies.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Not volume/loudnesss, speaker design with huge impact in mind.
How well did that work for you?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
How well did that work for you?
Look at any "big boy" studio in the world and you'll see a pattern: the speaker solution has really been put there to dominate. Hence, you should ask the owners of these studios how well that works for them. I bet it works great... I've heard huge monitors in small rooms at low volumes, some of the best sound I've ever heard...

The fact that large speakers in control rooms are put there to produce loud volume and impress clients, that's a myth that is based on thinking big speakers must produce loud sound in order to perform. In my view you have to fit the speaker solution against the room, not the other way around. You target the room frequencies to let the speakers overcome the room frequencies, with wrong speaker design it'll take much more room treatment until it works. But it it's not only the speakers, it's really the DAC + amp + speaker combo.

So my recipe for flat sound is this: Baseline the room by going from very big mains to smaller until it says click. Then start treating the room to make it perfect.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans_beiger ➡️
I have often heard about people on GS(THE ROOM TREATMENT PEOPLE) venting the merits of acoustic treatment which can sum up with moderate quality monitor speakers to create very precise critical listening monitoring "systems." You will find at least 1 person commenting about room treatments in treads about monitor speakers.

These statements could not be further from the truth.

The point of having a good monitoring "system" is to hear with the greatest fidelity, the source signal coming from the DAC and AMP.

If the speaker suffers from box coloration and other design faults (which so many monitor speakers with big brands still have and which people don't even realize), you can have the best room treatment in the world but the biggest problem would still be present and it will in no way cure the design problems of the speaker.

"YYOU CAN HAVE THE MOST PERFECT ROOM IN THE WORLD, BUT IF YOUR SPEAKERS THEMSELVES HAVE THEIR SHARE OF COLORING AND RESONANCES, YOU WILL JUST HEAR COLORED SOUND IN A PERFECT ROOM."

“One of the hardest tests for any speaker is to reproduce a well-recorded spoken voice; so many systems produce the sound of someone in a box — which means you can hear the speaker cabinet!”
Hugh Robjohns (Audio Specialized Trainer for the BBC UK, Author of multiple sound articles on professional audio magazines, and Technical Editor of the SoundOnSound magazine since 1997)

I would be very curious to know people's opinion about what a great monitor speaker represents and which speakers(brand and series) you believe have those qualities ?

NO TROLLS PLEASE
Who is arguing that speakers don't matter?

A room can only be as good as the speakers in it -- and the speakers can only sound as good as the room, speaker placement, and listening position will let them.

It's a system.

Now, there are certainly people who use what might be considered from certain angles as less than ideal speakers out of choice -- look at the place of the NS10 in contemporary practice -- but many/most probably also have recourse to flatter, more extended range reference speakers as well. That's a somewhat different strategy than mixing into more accurate speakers. But the reliability of the approach nonetheless will be greatly impacted by the room itself and the effectiveness of any required room treatments.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Look at any "big boy" studio in the world and you'll see a pattern: the speaker solution has really been put there to dominate. Hence, you should ask the owners of these studios how well that works for them. I bet it works great... I've heard huge monitors in small rooms at low volumes, some of the best sound I've ever heard...
They may respond that the monitors that "dominate" only work because of the purpose built room they are in.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
They may respond that the monitors that "dominate" only work because of the purpose built room they are in.
Yes, they have tailored the room against the speakers, not the speakers against the room. My point is that the most important thing is that the speaker frequencies win over the room frequencies, it's even more important than what frequencies the speakers generate. Once the speakers are in control, so is the mixing engineer. Then, the second most important thing is for the correct frequencies to come out of the speakers. No rooms in the world will change what frequencies the loudspeakers originally generate. But at the same time when the room frequencies dominate the perception it's not going to matter in the end anyway, which is why it all starts by defaulting a great speaker design choice against the particular application, before even looking at what and how the treatment needs to be. I'm very convinced that it works like this based on my experience with sound reproduction.

Think of it like this:

Bad monitoring solution: Room frequencies win, speaker frequencies are unfair, mixer is not in control. Isolated weaknesses that together cause a negative synergy effect (=low performance)

Good monitoring solution: Room frequencies lose, speaker frequencies are fair, mixer is in control. Isolated strenghts that together cause a positive synergy effect (=high performance)

Therefore, you don't have to go to the extreme with acoustics. Start with a great DAC + amp + speaker solution for the application, then treat the room until it is "flat enough". After that it's time to start looking at all other speaker systems you want to add as well in order to align your mixes against many different types of applications all at once. It's an end-to-end alignment process.

It's so easy to end up with a solution where the speaker design choice is wrong and there is not enough room treatment either. We all know what this does to our mixes. But this is really not something very difficult to figure out how it works, I think you agree when you really think about it from a common sense point of view...
📝 Reply